Waking up with the iPhone alarms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clapperboy, Oct 20, 2008.

1. clapperboy macrumors newbie

Does anyone rely on the iPhone alarm for waking up in the morning? Does it work well ie loud enough? Can you assign a ringtone or song instead of the build in sounds?

Sometimes when I'm on the road i rely on my cell phone to wake me up. It works great. Just checking on the iPhone 3G for this.

2. moka macrumors 6502a

i use my iphone as an alarm, it never has failed me. i trust it enough and it does wake me up, becuase to shut the alarm/snooze off i have to actually unlock the phone while the alarm is on. that alone would wake me up.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I use the iPod touch alarm all the time, I would assume the iPhone alarms are comparable... :)

4. icewing macrumors 6502

I depend on mine every day. I use the Alarm sound which my wife hates; she thinks there's an air raid when it goes off.

It's only failed to go off once in almost 2 months. :confused:

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

IMHO its plenty loud enough. BUT that depends on your environment and sleeping habits.

Yes, you can use customer ringtones/songs. If you choose the custom ringtone route you can adjust the volume louder if need be in iTunes.

I've used the iPhone as an alarm for a little over a year. no issues ever. always goes off.

Plus i like the fact i can program different times and tones for any day of the week and make them repeat.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

The ALARM sound is brilliant, always gets me up. Highly recommended alarm.

7. tinfai macrumors member

Must the iPhone be on?

Seeking confirmation that the iPhone must remain powered on for the alarm to sound. Prior to acquiring the iPhone, I had relied on my handphones everyday for years as my sole alarm clock. I have the same practice with my iPhone. However, whereas my previous Nokias and Samsungs could automatically power-on at the appropriate time, I believe the alarm only goes off if the iPhone is switched on. There were a couple of days where I missed the alarm and assumed it was because it was switched off. Since then, I've left the iPhone on and switched on the airplane mode to avoid being disturbed by unwanted calls. Since we're all aware how battery life on this machine is precious, I would prefer to switch it off if possible.

8. Stepper macrumors regular

I use it, and it's so good at waking me up that I'm starting to hate it :p

9. pseudo7 macrumors newbie

This.

I generally sleep through wars but something about the iPhone's alarm tone manages to wake me up. Make sure the speaker is pointed at your head though.

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I had to buy a new Alarm clock after I realized that I could wake up, and turn my iPhone off all without thinking and going back to sleep :p

11. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I really like the iPHone's alarm. It's nice to be able to set multiple alarms, etc. if you think that you might turn the first one off. I'm a light sleeper, however, and it's nice to wake up to the harps!

12. tacoshell macrumors regular

I use the actual 'Alarm Ringtone', and it gives me a heart attack every morning. Sounds like a blaring fire alarm. It's perfect.

13. icantbelieveit macrumors member

i cant see why we're not able to set the alarm to play songs from the ipod part of the iphone, its really annoying ive got thousands of songs on there and can only use the 2 ive managed to convert into ringtones!! with the old style ipods we could have the alarm play playlists and everything!

Am i missing something or is this really not included?

14. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Yes, unlike other phones the iPhone must remain 'on' for the alarm to work.

15. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I use my alarm on my iPhone every morning. It is nice because you can program it to go of at different times every day of the week.

Also even if the phone is on silent mode, the alarm will make noises. My previous phone would just vibrate alarm if it was on silent. But I would wake up to that anyway. I am a light sleeper.

16. aluren macrumors 65816

the iPhone is my only alarm. i use a ringtone which is a song converted in iTunes. it is awesome.

17. yelnref macrumors member

I also give the iPhone alarm a thumbs up. However I like to wake up to the 'harp' melody. I have the digital clock application and turn that on when I go to bed. Battery problems are solved by sticking the phone in its dock so it's charging while i sleep.

18. haddman macrumors regular

LOL, my girlfriend hates that one too!! It will definiteley wake you the hell up!!!

19. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I use it every morning and always hit the snooze button a few times...lol

20. firewood macrumors 604

But your iPhone is still powered on unless you do a "Slide to Power off" shutdown, even if the display is dark (device locked) and the radios are in Airplane Mode. It's just in a lower power mode if the display is off and no application or radio services are running.

The alarm will still sound even if the display is off and the Clock app would not be the visible running app if the display were on (e.g. you could switch to another app and hit the lock button on top).

21. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I was using phone alarms for a while ... iPhone works just fine

22. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Use it everyday, it still goes off with the phone on silent mode which is really nice :)

23. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I do use my iPhone as an alarm in the morning to wake me up.
    As everyone else suggests, use the ringtone "Alarm" or some very heavy song. That should get you up in a matter of two seconds. :D
    Marimba or Strum doesn't make me budge much out of bed.

24. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

I use it, i just hate how theres no fade in on it. I used my loud ass custom ringtone, and it sounded like someone put an airhorn right into my ear really fast.

25. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu