Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Normally I've never had an issue buying a new iPhone cause I always buy the largest capacity and most people usually buy the smallest cause it's cheapest.................

Now that Apple has launched their in store pickup program, you won't have any trouble getting a 5S today! I just checked my local stores and all of them have 64 GB 5S's available. If I didn't get mine on Friday, I would be definitely be getting it today. :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Dont worry. You only missed a slightly better camera and a gimmick that saves you 3 seconds of your oh so precious time lol

My passcode is 20 characters with a mixture of letters, numbers, and symbols. I don't about you, but it takes me at least 4 seconds to type it.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Those of us who upgrade yearly will still upgrade to that.

Yeah, I don't know why people try to justify their purchasing decisions to the forum, then there's someone who tries to prop them up (or justify their decision to hold off on a model) with "the next update will be better and everyone who updated now will be green with envy."

Ummm. No. A huge chunk of people in this forum upgrade yearly. We aren't missing a thing.

----------

You know, I thought it was a gimmick too. Then I realized that I unlock my phone often. Three seconds times fifty times a day times 365 days a year... That's over fifteen hours saved if you do the math.

I did the math to be sort of ironic, but it is pretty convenient. I'm really hoping apps like paypal, banking, etc start using this alongside traditional passwords.

I love the fingerprint sensor. It is more convenient than typing a passcode. Mine was 6 digits (minimum size required by my company; they used to require 8-digit alphanumeric plus symbol, that was hell).

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Normally I've never had an issue buying a new iPhone cause I always buy the largest capacity and most people usually buy the smallest cause it's cheapest.

This year I figured it wouldn't be any different, I sold my iPhone 4S, went to one of my local AT&T stores and has to wait for 2 hours.

After finally waiting I met with my sales person who was probably the best one I've ever dealt with. Needless to say, she couldn't find a single iPhone 5S in a single AT&T store in all of Kentucky(where I live). Given I had already sold my phone, she felt bad(or acted so) and found out they had no idea of another shipment for another 21-28 days.

So i told her to just bring me out some of the 32gb 5c. She had 3 left, one in green, blue and pink haha. After playing with the demo model, I wasn't the plastic backing, it reminded me too much of the iPhone 3G, which broke easily haha.

In the middle of a conversation she mentioned something about the original 5, and I said "Well, I'd certainly take one of those over the 5c any day". She then told me they still had some of those in the back, so she found a black 32gb model(I still prefer the 64gb model).

So after all the waiting and her trying to track some down for me, I ended up walking out with a 5 and I honestly couldn't be happier. I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference from my 4S but man it's so much faster. So if you're someone who's holding out and you have a 4 or 4S, just go with the 5 and you won't be disappointed.

She did tell me that if I can find a 5S in inventory in the next 14 days I can return it, and get one of those. I may stick with the 5 for now unless I can get ahold of a 5S and I can convince them to not make me pay the restocking fee haha.

I bought it with AT&T's Next program, so in 12 months I can upgrade to whatever is new anyways.

So you waited to get a new iPhone of the biggest size then decided to settle with an old iPhone of only marginal size. Sounds like you made a mistake. Ordering online would have solved this problem.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Those of us who upgrade yearly will still upgrade to that.

I would revise the claim to: most of those who upgrade yearly.

Each year beginning with the first iPhone I've bought the latest model upon its release, EXCEPT this year. On sheer principle, based on a lack of compelling features, I'm taking a pass & keeping my iPhone 5 on iOS 7. I dare say I'm certain I'm not alone in this position.

I'm getting increasingly irritated with Apple for milking us simply because they can. They're capable of much more & this is the year they could have really blown away the competition had they done their best work, rather than relying on the brand and modest improvements to sell the phone.

So this year my money will go to Samsung for the fun & enjoyment of trying something fresh.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I would revise the claim to: most of those who upgrade yearly.

Each year beginning with the first iPhone I've bought the latest model upon its release, EXCEPT this year. On sheer principle, based on a lack of compelling features, I'm taking a pass & keeping my iPhone 5 on iOS 7. I dare say I'm certain I'm not alone in this position.

I'm getting increasingly irritated with Apple for milking us simply because they can. They're capable of much more & this is the year they could have really blown away the competition had they done their best work, rather than relying on the brand and modest improvements to sell the phone.

So this year my money will go to Samsung for the fun & enjoyment of trying something fresh.

The problem is many of them come crawling back to Apple/iOS after jumping ship.

I don't see how the iPhone 5s is any different from the iPhone 4S for an "S" type upgrade. Some people found Siri utterly useless, just as you do for fingerprint sensor. Nevertheless, a number of us upgrade yearly regardless of features and some of us doing upgrade swaps with existing lines actually make money selling the year-old iPhone unlocked.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
The problem is many of them come crawling back to Apple/iOS after jumping ship.

I don't see how the iPhone 5s is any different from the iPhone 4S for an "S" type upgrade. Some people found Siri utterly useless, just as you do for fingerprint sensor. Nevertheless, a number of us upgrade yearly regardless of features and some of us doing upgrade swaps with existing lines actually make money selling the year-old iPhone unlocked.
I wouldn't insult those whom decide they prefer Apple by claiming they come crawling back. Especially since nothing beats a first hand experience with any product. Instead I would acknowledge their wisdom & open minded approach for trying. Nor would I state that they jumped ship, simply using an iPhone in no way requires one to be in love with Apple.

That said, I most certainly agree with you. There's a myriad of individual preferences.

Personally I'll have two active lines this year. One for my iP5, and one for the Galaxy Note 3 I've got pre-ordered. The best of both worlds, and lots of fun for a tech enthusiast.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wouldn't insult those whom decide they prefer Apple by claiming they come crawling back. Especially since nothing beats a first hand experience with any product. Instead I would acknowledge their wisdom & open minded approach for trying. Nor would I state that they jumped ship, simply using an iPhone in no way requires one to be in love with Apple.

That said, I most certainly agree with you. There's a myriad of individual preferences.

Personally I'll have two active lines this year. One for my iP5, and one for the Galaxy Note 3 I've got pre-ordered. The best of both worlds, and lots of fun for a tech enthusiast.

Not trying to insult. I'm simply using some of fellow members' personal anecdotes. "I tried it for a while and I came crawling back," "Yes, I jumped ship for a while and now I'm back," etc.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Look, no one will sing the praises of the 5 more than I will. It was, and still IS a phenomenal phone...

But unless you HAVE to have "black", the 5S is the way to go. It is NOT just a gimmicky fingerprint reader and tweaked camera... It's a freaking A7 processor too (along with a better (and newer) battery, M7 coproc., better resale, better "future proofing" (only applicable if you keep it, but still...).

Is that worth hundreds of dollars? Maybe not. Is it worth A hundred dollars though? I think given the choice almost everyone would say YES.

If the 5 and a $100 bill were put next to a 5S, what would MOST people that knew the difference grab? If you don't, may as well grab a 4S, it's not THAT different after all (still has a screen, camera, makes calls...).

It's not a HUGE upgrade, but the A7 was the DRIVING motivator for me.

That proc is an absolute BEAST!!!

LWP777

Suspended
Sep 20, 2010
The smart money is betting that you'll end up trading it in for a 5S if one becomes available in the next 14 days! Glad you like the 5 though. I'm upgrading from the 4S as well so the 5 or anything above should feel like a huge jump for me too.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
You know, I thought it was a gimmick too. Then I realized that I unlock my phone often. Three seconds times fifty times a day times 365 days a year... That's over fifteen hours saved if you do the math.

I did the math to be sort of ironic, but it is pretty convenient. I'm really hoping apps like paypal, banking, etc start using this alongside traditional passwords.

The scanner was, for me, the single biggest feature I was hoping would make it into the 5S. The amount of times I have to unlock my phone daily ... it's a pain in the arse to have to 'home button - swipe - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - tap - hit ok' every friggin time (and worse if I mistyped one of the characters). Now, it's just 'home button ... ' nothing else!

People that crow about it being a gimmick either don't lock their phone to begin with, don't access their phone that often, or are just being stubborn.

Yes, the 5S is significantly faster than the 5. Yes, the camera setup (hardware and software) present a much improvement system. This scanner, though .. I love, love, love it. Love it. :D

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Fingerprint reader saves 3 seconds x 50 times per day x 365 days per year = 15 hours per year

I'd like that 15 hours back

Have fun putting in passcodes for 15 hours.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Normally I've never had an issue buying a new iPhone cause I always buy the largest capacity and most people usually buy the smallest cause it's cheapest.

This year I figured it wouldn't be any different, I sold my iPhone 4S, went to one of my local AT&T stores and has to wait for 2 hours.

After finally waiting I met with my sales person who was probably the best one I've ever dealt with. Needless to say, she couldn't find a single iPhone 5S in a single AT&T store in all of Kentucky(where I live). Given I had already sold my phone, she felt bad(or acted so) and found out they had no idea of another shipment for another 21-28 days.

So i told her to just bring me out some of the 32gb 5c. She had 3 left, one in green, blue and pink haha. After playing with the demo model, I wasn't the plastic backing, it reminded me too much of the iPhone 3G, which broke easily haha.

In the middle of a conversation she mentioned something about the original 5, and I said "Well, I'd certainly take one of those over the 5c any day". She then told me they still had some of those in the back, so she found a black 32gb model(I still prefer the 64gb model).

So after all the waiting and her trying to track some down for me, I ended up walking out with a 5 and I honestly couldn't be happier. I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference from my 4S but man it's so much faster. So if you're someone who's holding out and you have a 4 or 4S, just go with the 5 and you won't be disappointed.

She did tell me that if I can find a 5S in inventory in the next 14 days I can return it, and get one of those. I may stick with the 5 for now unless I can get ahold of a 5S and I can convince them to not make me pay the restocking fee haha.

I bought it with AT&T's Next program, so in 12 months I can upgrade to whatever is new anyways.

How much is that phone costing you over 12 months? Do you keep it after that?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009

The 3G was a durable phone. I accidentally dropped it 2 times, even though it was in my house and not high off the ground when I dropped it. I heard a lot of other people liking the 3G and 3GS because of the durability also.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
That "Next" program is a loser. You may be able to upgrade yearly but as I understand it, you also have to turn in your current iPhone at the time of your next upgrade.

You are essentially renting your iPhone for that year. :mad:

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Now that Apple has launched their in store pickup program, you won't have any trouble getting a 5S today! I just checked my local stores and all of them have 64 GB 5S's available. If I didn't get mine on Friday, I would be definitely be getting it today. :)

This. I haven't checked today but I recall hearing that the Louisville Apple store had 64GB models in stock as of yesterday. I'd drive 30 min and get the model I want before dealing with AT&T.

With that said, the 5 is a great phone. I chose to sit this upgrade out because of that, just didn't have enough compelling reasons to upgrade. My work IS getting me a gold 5s but that decision was made after I chose to not upgrade my personal iPhone 5.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
If you're happy good. For me though, I'd have just waited for the 5S to come in stock since you're using next.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
If you're happy good. For me though, I'd have just waited for the 5S to come in stock since you're using next.

Well I would have waited honestly, but given that I sold my 4S just maybe an hour before doing so. I would be without a phone at all, and that I cannot do hah.

----------

That "Next" program is a loser. You may be able to upgrade yearly but as I understand it, you also have to turn in your current iPhone at the time of your next upgrade.

You are essentially renting your iPhone for that year. :mad:

Well that's also if I decide to do that, I may just keep it if it's running fine and whatever the next phone may be isn't all that special.

----------

Fingerprint reader saves 3 seconds x 50 times per day x 365 days per year = 15 hours per year

I'd like that 15 hours back

Have fun putting in passcodes for 15 hours.

I never put passcodes on my phone cause they're annoying. With the new feature of not being able to restore a phone without disabling Find My iPhone first, and to even do that you have to enter your Apple ID do even disable it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.