Wallets As Gifts? A Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Linux Vista, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Linux Vista macrumors member

Linux Vista

He has been hinting that he would love himself a brand spanking new wallet. He also hints that travel - wallet - style - wallets would be best. It so damn tedious. Difficult. I have seen a few that are wonderful. The problem is that they are called by different names. Some are called checkbook wallets. Some of them are long wallets. Of course there are a few good ol' travel wallets too. Also some say that there are called of all things BREAST WALLETS x_x I do not want to make a costly mistake. So you guys?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

In my opinion, a wallet is a very personal thing. Not in the way that it should never be discussed but in that it's something I want to choose for myself. Bi-fold, tri-fold, ID window, how many slots it has for cards (think that episode of Big Bang Theory), how thick will it be when it's filled, etc. If you MUST buy one, offer to go shopping for it with them, let them pick it out and then you pay for it.

I've actually bought wallets myself and then never used them as things just didn't work out as expected once I "moved in".

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Buy a wallet from a store having a good selection of wallets and get a gift receipt. Make it understood that your present is _a wallet_ and not necessarily _this wallet_ and that it is absolutely fine to return _this wallet_ and exchange it for a different wallet that fits better.

And it would be very hard for him to describe what kind of wallet he wants, because he doesn't actually know - to find the perfect wallet, you have to go through the selection in a good store until you find exactly what you want.

4. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Perhaps a gift card to a high-end wallet store would fit the bill (no pun intended)?

5. shawnpuerto macrumors member

I agree with this comment. I don't like getting new wallets that i haven't chosen. I mean, it's going to be in my pants for a while, I want it to be comfortable.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think a wallet is a very personal accessory, one that ideally is picked out by the person who will wear it.

My preference is for ultra slim wallets that don't use animal skin (vegetarian), but still look somewhat refined.

Here's what I currently use: http://www.bigskinny.net/multi-pocket.html.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got a wallet for Christmas, and I really like it. My wife picked out a nice one, Bosca, that was the same style as my old one. I would recommend getting one similar to what he already has, or like others have suggested, take him shopping for one and let him pick it out.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I gotten a couple wallets from my SO before, I use/used it for a long time, but not the one I would spend for that kind of money.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Generally, I think that the idea of giving a wallet as a gift - especially if the intended recipient has hinted that this is what he would like - is an excellent idea.

However, as other posters have already pointed out, wallets are one of those areas where personal preferences (and needs) are quite pronounced and often, exceptionally specific.

Therefore, I would go along with what others have already advised and suggest that you take your SO shopping for wallets.

Firstly, he will have to decide firstly, what size wallet he would like (they vary hugely in size), what material he would like to have it made from, or whether - like citizenzen above - there are any materials such as leather that he may dislike. Even if he opts for leather itself, there are many variations and degrees of quality of leather that can be found when shopping for wallets.

Then, there are the actual details of the wallet; will he need a pouch for coins? How many card slots will he want? What about the area for bills - one or two spaces, or divided areas? And so on.

Finally, cost comes into the equation. Some wallets are exceedingly expensive - you may have to keep a price in mind that you are willing to pay, and not exceed that unless you see a wallet that strikes everyone is simply outstanding…..

Hence, while the idea is excellent, - this is a very good gift indeed - I would recommend that you bring him along to determine what his precise needs are when purchasing a wallet.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If we're talking about American men, then you don't need to worry about a coin pouch.

We swipe our cards, punch our PINs or whip out our cash.

We do not dig around in coin purses looking for exact change.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hmmm, there is an interesting observation in this joke. I suppose there may be a cultural preference against dealing with coins, and I bet some of that derives from the fact that we don't have wide adoption of large denomination coinage.

Then there is the mindless ease with which one can swipe a card....perhaps very appealing in a consumer culture.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm not an American man, I am a much travelled European female, and I work abroad a lot of the time.

As an aside, I must say that I am also struck by the voiceless shudder that seems to accompany the use of the word 'coin purse' on some of these threads……money is a medium of exchange, coins and notes, and I use both as needed, because both can be very useful, depending on when and where one uses them.

Many of the countries I work in operate on a strictly cash basis, and try finding an ATM - especially a working, rather than wrecked ATM - or a working card machine in a war zone, or destroyed urban space. Mind you, even in western Europe, there are days when the machines break down, - as happened recently in my favourite cheesemonger's - and cash, notes and coins can come in very usefully on such occasions.

In any case, for me, my money transport needs are a wallet in very soft leather (the drawback here is that I tend to be quite hard on the wallets, hence, especially with soft leather, they don't tend to last terribly long) - as that is far more comfortable to carry. And yes, I also require a coin pouch - this is because, yes, I still carry coins. In addition to that, I require quite a number of card slots for credit cards, debit cards, airline cards, bus & train cards, my EHIC card, and so on…..and a billfold section with a divider, so that it comes with two sections, as I am often carrying currencies in two, if not three different countries and it is nice to be able to differentiate them.

On top of that, I don't want a massive wallet, but something made with high quality soft leather.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My wife got me one for Christmas which is perfect. I asked her how she picked it out and she said I went into the store and got the one I thought was the most ugly :eek:

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Someone who clearly knows you - and your preferences - very, very well indeed.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've received wallets as gifts before, but my wife was quick to ask me what I like in a wallet - and in the years we've been together, those preferences really haven't changed. So I'd say yes, a wallet can be a great gift.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You ever stand behind someone at a checkout line while they pawed through their coins looking for exact change?

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a very good point, one I hadn't considered, but I think you may well be right. Precisely because some of the European coins carry more value, or are worth more, or can buy a lot more, (than the equivalent coins in the US) there is, perhaps, less contempt towards the notion of carrying around coinage in a wallet. Even now, if I am in another city, I will almost invariably use coins to buy water bottles, or the daily newspaper, or some such.

Anyway in Europe, with the Euro currency, our largest denomination coin is the €2 - which is worth more than two dollars, and we also have a €1 coin, which is worth a little more than a dollar. Thus, our smallest denomination bank note is the €5.

This is even more pronounced with UK denominated sterling, where, again nowadays, there is a £1 coin (worth approximately $1.50), and a £2 coin, which is worth more than three dollars. The smallest sterling denominated note is £5, which comes in at $7.50.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Make sure it's large enough...

Attached Files:

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I would agree for this and many items. Of course if you include a gift receipt then you can take a chance and not saddle the giftee with an unwanted item.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sure. What of it? It is a mere slightly irksome inconvenience, nothing more. Not something I lose sleep, or get impatient over.

In a professional setting - or, indeed, my personal private space - I am much more intolerant of unwelcome infringements on my time. In the shared civic space - which includes shopping - this is life, and I usually switch off until it is my turn to advance to the check-out.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Coins, so 18th century. :D

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm something of an antiquarian myself.

And anyway, as I already remarked in an earlier post, not only do we still use them in Europe, but some of these coins can come in relatively high denominations - the €1 coin and the €2 coin are worth more than their dollar counterparts; the smallest denomination note in the Euro stable is the €5 note.

In fact, when I was a kid, I remember the £1 note; if anything, the trend in Europe seems to be to remove notes in smaller demonimations from circulation, replacing them with coins, rather than vice versa.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

My second wife used to say, a wallet or purse, is only useful if it's filled with plenty of MONEY.:p

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Mere slightly irksome things are the coin of the realm around here.

(No pun intended)

It's just an eye roller.

Not nearly as bad as pulling out a checkbook and writing a check.

:eek:

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

She had a point.

Nevertheless, it does prompt the observation that the sort of person who makes such a comment is not always the person who earns the money which is used to fill the aforementioned wallet…….

Yes, indeed. That I can well imagine…..

Well, yesterday, I found myself standing immediately behind an elderly gentleman at an ATM (the bank had just closed) for almost ten minutes while he seemed to embark upon an interminable series of……….ATM based investigations. I merely looked at my watch (twice, which is why I know it took almost 10 minutes), stared at the sky, and mentally went through stuff I have yet to do.

Re cheques, well, today, I found myself writing a cheque, in my mother's cheque book - I have EPA.

Anyway, this was for the first delivery of oil for the new year. Even now, there are occasions - rare occasions, but necessary occasions - where cheque books are useful. Lorry drivers do not carry card machines, and - while the price of oil has tumbled in recent months (I remember paying almost €1,000 a few years ago to fill a tank shortly before Christmas), few people will have a sum of money which may range between €300 and €1,000 in cash in a house.

This is because there are two variables in play here: 1) how much oil is required to fill the tank (i.e. how much has it gone down since it was last refilled?) and 2) the ever-fluctuating price of the oil, means that irrespective of how full or empty the tank is, one does not necessarily know the exact price of this commodity…...