Wanna help me choose a tablet for the hubby?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aimeeinohio, Oct 18, 2011.

1. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I'm thinking I want to get my darling hubby a tablet for Christmas. I was originally going to get him a lap top but I think a tablet will serve him better.

No, I'm not getting him an iPad for a couple of reasons....one, he's not an :apple: fan like I am :p ...and he NEEDS to be able to access Flash without a hassle. He does a lot of web based training and stuff, and it seems most of it is flash based.

He'll be checking email, surfing the web, and doing some training.

Looking to stay around $500.00 or less.

What say thee?

2. RByers89 macrumors newbie

iPad..............

Lol. Besides flash which I never need access to. I just hate android OS. Constantly crashing and loading and having to restart. Get him a iPad and splash top to log in to a computer for flash of he has to have it. I own both type of devices. Luckily the droids are from and for work because I would have returned them.

Edit: I haven't used other Tablets like the ones mentioned below. Just know that none of them have the apps and ease of use like the iPad.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

If flash is the only issue and $500 is a hard ceiling in terms of price, I think I'd seriously consider the Amazon Fire.

Otherwise, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1, the Toshiba Thrive, or the Lenovo Tablet (K1) might be good choices to consider.

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Galaxy Tab 10.1 is currently the best non-Apple tablet out there.

I had it a while back. Was pretty damn nice.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

If that's true (I don't know because I don't want a tablet, I want an iPad :D)

Get him the Android tablet. After few days, he hate it. Then return it and get an iPad ;)

Sorry if I'm not helpful. This is just my opinion, I always say to my friends who doesn't like Apple, don't get it and try other platforms. Normally, they will end up getting an iPhone or iPad :)

7. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Have you looked to see if there's any apps that can take the place of the web stuff?

Androids ok, but app wise there's no contest.

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've heard the ~7.7" ASUS Transformer is pretty good and it starts at $399 I think. Couldn't tell you much about it though.

9. ssgrif macrumors member

kinda of strange coming to an ipad forum to ask about what tablet to buy and expressly stating you dont want to consider an ipad!?!?

i say buy an ipad. alternatively, go check out some other forums :eek:

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

An iPad, of course.

hint: this is a Apple site - if you decided against an Apple, it's kind of silly to post here.

11. JerZyT28 macrumors regular

I'm thinking she just made an honest mistake, OP, you could have posted this in the community discussion.

Anywho, to answer your question, so far it seems the Galaxy is second to the iPad...does't compare, but it is the next option.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Sony S tablet 9"ish
    The Samsung Galaxy TAB 10.1"
    The HTC Flyer. 7" and $299.
    For more utility the Asus Transformer with dock or Asus Slider. Heavier 10.1"

I personally like the Flyer for price, printing to wifi printers, and speed.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm confused :confused: why are you asking on this site if you expressly do not want an ipad!? I use flash a lot and have grown quite used to the ipad, there are a couple of apps which get me by like puffin and iswifter, but they pale in comparision to flash on an android device, which in my experience runs perfectly.

Even with the flash achilles heel I just cannot bring myself to divorce from my ipad. I reallylike the ecosystem, I like the apps and the functionality, and absolutely no one has made a better piece of hardware yet, no one.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    OP, you didn't mention a size.

For large I'd say the Tab. For paperbook size, the Flyer.

--

As for those (especially the newbies) who wonder why someone would ask such a question here...

Many people feel more comfortable asking "friends" on forums they trust.

For example, you might see someone in a Jeep forum ask about another type of vehicle for a spouse, because they figure they'd get the best advice from people who think like themselves.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

There is a rumour that the new Tegra 3 based tablets are going to start appearing in the next few weeks, so perhaps best to wait and see if these come out before parting with any money.

The Tegra3 chipset had five cores inside it. Four of them to make things happen lovely and fast and another special fifth one that runs slower at a much lower power for saving battery when it's just ticking over.

As I say, these things should fly performance wise when they are released, soon now, and without doubt I'd guess Flash based programs and media will play back on them perfectly.

Give it a few weeks to see what's going to happen before Christmas before making any sudden purchases.

16. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Not strange at all, IMO...as kdarling pointed out, what better place to get opinions from than a bunch of folks that know what they're talking about! Especially when it comes to tab computing. She's amongst friends...and some of us, believe it or not, actually use "other" systems! I've got over a dozen Apple/Mac products in use for both my business and personal household. I've also got a PC, I bought a Xoom (I was curious, and I dig it for some things!), and we bought a couple of our employees Android phones...so there are folks that have opinions and possibly, Answers to other folks' questions when it comes to stuff made by the "Others" :)

That said, I'm a HUGE fan of the iPad...love 'em! However...the 'Droid tabs are about to transition in to their "2nd" Generation. Ice Cream Sandwich was announced yesterday...and as Piggie just pointed out, we're also on the cusp of new hardware releases to the manufacturers (chips, graphics, batteries, etc).

It's a good time to Wait if you're in the market for a "Flash" tab. The new line of Xooms has been teased, as mentioned...Sony is hard at work, as I'm sure Acer and the new line of Galaxys in the not so distant future. Windows (Microsoft) tablets are right around the corner as well...and may be JUST what your husband is looking for.

Jer

17. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I like the "transformers" personally, although I never used them and they get quite expensive.

18. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I'm seldom one to recommend waiting in the technology world. If that were a sound strategy I'd be running DOS on my Kaypro. In this case, however, I'd agree with the assessment above. Lots going on in the tablet marketplace and in six months the world may look somewhat different in terms of major players and the range of devices offered.

That's one reason I suggested considering the Kindle Fire as a holiday gift. Much less expensive than (most) alternatives, coming from a vendor who generally "gets it right," and whom one can count on to continue supporting the device.

Despite being an Android fan, I wouldn't spend $500+ on any of the alternatives out there at the moment. On the other hand, a $200 Fire and a mobile hotspot makes a pretty good combination for someone who values portability and content consumption over many of the additional features offered by the iPad. And six months from now it's likely the resale value of the Fire would involve less of hit if one wants to upgrade.

19. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

All I can say it DO NOT buy him a Blackberry PlayBook.. that thing is absolutely horrendous

20. aimeeinohio thread starter macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Yeah, sorry.
    I myself am getting an iPad, but for HIM it is not the appropriate solution. The training he does will.not.work. without flash. He's a mechanic- ya want him to keep up to date, don't you? Or he could mess up your car LOL Flash is an ABSOLUTE requirement, which is why I am not getting him an iPad (and no, he wouldn't want to jailbreak).

As far as the Kindle- I had the impression that it was really meant to Amazon content?

Christmas is still a couple of months away...I am researching at the moment...

----------

Around 10".

I have a friend who has the Toshiba Thrive and likes it. Opinions?

21. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

If flash is an absolute requirement I would just get him a laptop like you were thinking...flash performance on mobile devices that can support it is generally terrible, but that's just what I've heard- can anyone back me up on this ?

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

My only experience is I asked a friend about a year ago to go to the http://www.weebls-stuff.com/
    web site and play one of the vector animations and i was expecting it to be horrid slow and jerky

such as these two:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Amazing+Horse/

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Baby+Baboon/

And amazingly enough it played them back perfectly smooth with sound.
    I must admit I was pretty shocked, but pleased as I expected it to fail.

This was a HTC Desire I believe.

23. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

The Kindle FIRE has internet browsing functionality. How good it is and what limitations it may encounter will have to await its release.

The Toshiba Thrive has received some relatively positive reviews. Worth looking at.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Actually it's pretty good these days, unless it's a really complex scene.

A lot of us have Android tablets for our kids, so they can play Flash games.

However, just as with HTML, there are sites that don't do well on touchscreens and/or are cpu intensive.

So I'd say that the OP should visit a store with the URLs of the sites her husband uses and try them out first. Or post them here, for that matter, and I'm sure someone will take a look. (If they are proprietary files or on an intranet, then of course we cannot.)

If they do not play nicely with a touchscreen, then yes I'd say to get a netbook or similar.

25. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I know tablets are all the rage these days (I own one), but I'd skip it altogether. Buy him a macbook air or even a pro if you're willing to spend more money, or even a cheaper nonmac laptop for 400. My father owns an acer aspire he got for $479 with a six hour battery and thinner than my current macbook. They'll last longer, they're fun, sporty and here's the major point - you can also do work with them!

I know this is going to hit people the wrong way (especially at an apple-fan site), but iPads and all other tablets for that matter have an upgrade cycle of three years max. My iPad 1 just received ios5 and it's SLOW*, so SLOW that I don't have any pleasure sitting with it in bed and waiting 15 seconds for each webpage to load.

If you really want to give your husband a tablet wait until iPad 3 is out.