Want 4.2 now, but not a dev?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ciclismo, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

There are only two options out there for you:

1) Become a developer, or
    2) Find a developer who is willing to add your iPad to their list so that you can get 4.2

However, to be honest, if you're not a dev, then don't bother.

The Beta is an OS that is released for testing purposes, so chances are it is not 100% functional nor 100% reliable. On top of that, many apps may not work properly in their current version (that's why Apple sends the devs a Beta), so even if it does run smoothly (which I doubt) then chances are quite high that you will encounter several issues with the apps you have.

At the end of the day you need to ask if the aggrevation that you most likely will incur due to problematic, reduced and/or unreliable performance is worth having folders (because many apps do not yet support multitasking, so this would be ruled out as a benefit).

If you have come to this thread by searching before posting a new thread asking "OMGWTFBBQ I NEEDZ 4.2 NOWZ - PLZ HALPS ME HAKRZ!", then congratulations.

If you haven't searched and posted a new thread (which will probably be promptly closed), then you probably didn't read this so I can safely call you a right numpty without hurting your immature feelings.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. Developer release is for developers only.

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

But you know someone will get the beta, then complain about it not working or hosing their iPad and it all being Apple's fault. Then they will complain that they want to go back down to 3.2 only to find that it is practically impossible to do and then they will come back and complain that Apple screwed them again.

This is the life of some MR posters.

4. Cabrewolf macrumors member

IOS 4 for the iPhone was available for download, not from Apple, for developers before it was released. I don't recall the exact circumstances, but I found a web site hosting a torrent of IOS 4 that worked just fine on my non-developer iPhone. Won't this happen with 4.2 on the iPad?

5. rworne macrumors 6502

I had it on for a few hours. Then I had to get it off because I have an app I plan to finish and submit and I didn't want any hassles with that.

Both my wife and I are extremely protective of our iPads (so no using hers).

It was a real challenge downgrading the iPad.

It perhaps is worth the bucks to get a developer's certificate. It's been fun as hell writing stuff and actually seeing it running on my hardware... including that open-source socks proxy ;-)

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That would have been the GM release candidate, which doesn't need to be tied to a developer's device. For an actual beta though, you'll have to have your own device's UDID added to a developer's list of devices.

7. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

What is 'shift-update'?

I am told that I can just 'shift-update' to 4.2 right now on iTunes. Tried it but to no avail.

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I am told that I look like Brad Pitt but that doesn't mean much. The question is, are you a developer? 4.2 is not released as a consumer update and won't be until Novemember.

9. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I bet you look more like Steve Jobs... aged Steve Jobs.

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Whatever. You still didn't answer the question about being a developer.

11. spimp31 macrumors member

Anyone willing to help a non-iPhone developer out? I'm a web developer but don't have an iPhone dev account and would like to add my UDID so I can test out the beta. Not too concerned about using this as my primary iPad OS, just want to give it a run and downgrade back to 3.2.1.

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

What's with the people being butthurt over people using 4.2 if they aren't a developer? The only thing to be upset about is people who manage to install it and then complain about it not working right or breaking their device. People should know the risk, and the OP does a good job pointing that out. Who cares if people want to do it anyway?

13. phenixdragon macrumors regular

Yet I am sure that the beta works just fine as iOS 4.1 is in the public with the iPhone and works just fine. iPad is pretty much the same hardware.

14. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Can I only install the beta from a Mac if I get the developer license?

15. JLB-UK macrumors regular

Yes, you require a Mac to install the beta as it is done through xcode developer tools which is only available on MacOS

16. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Unlike you, I have other things to do than wait for some smarta** meddler to respond to my comments. FYI, whatever I do with my belongings is none of your business so keep your nose out of my iPad.

17. Ciclismo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

How about the both of you settle down and get out of this thread? Neither of you are adding any value - if you want to have a go at each other, fine, just do it somewhere else.

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

@Ciclismo,

My bad. I was going to help him out with getting a copy of the dev version but you are correct. I will not bother.

19. melman101 macrumors 68030

Not true. I upgraded mine threw iTunes. Option + Check for Update and then I selected the ipsw. I'm sure you could do the same thing in Windows with Shift + check for update.

20. TangoDown macrumors regular

Yes, I have it running on my iPad.
    Installed through iTunes and Windows with a shift+click (to browse) restore. Set up as new iPad and al done. Lightning quick install too. Loving the multi-tasking.

21. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Correct. This is how I did it as well earlier. Have you tried to restore back to 3.2? There is a process but not sure if it still works.

22. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hey tangodown, are you going to stay at 4.2 or eventually go back to 3.2? Do you know if there is a new downgrade process?

23. TangoDown macrumors regular

Hey mate.
    I was primarily JB'd for multi-tasking anyway but will very likely stay as I am as I am helping a dev with an App.
    I'm pretty sure a downgrade would be possible for me as I have blobs saved with Saurik.

24. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Yeah. That would do it. I JB'd my iPad a while back but did not like it and tried to go back down. Forgot to save the blobs, but luckily some guy on AI had the steps to do back down. Was not to complicated but did require that you pull out a terminal and take a tranquilizer first. :)

25. TangoDown macrumors regular

Heh.. :D
    I think we'll all enjoy tinkering for a while buddy. :apple: