Wanting Stainless Steel After Buying Sport

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, May 28, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Not sure why since I absolutely loved the look of the Sport when I tried it on in an Apple Store but the look has grown off of me in just a day of owning it. Wasn't a big fan of the stainless steel initially but I'm not sure the Sport feels as much like a premium watch as I had hoped. To be blunt I feel like Apple could've done better with the designs of both but I'll likely end up buying the Watch version of the first redesign. Am I the only Sport owner that has fallen a bit out of love with the design?

2. Applenoob34 macrumors regular

It's made of higher quality material and some think it looks nicer. I bought the sport and am completely satisfied with it. There was no way I was willing to spend the extra dough on a first gen product. In a couple years when the gen 2 comes out, I'll be springing for a nicer version if I still think it is a good investment.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Maybe when/if they make a SS Watch with a brushed finish I'll upgrade when the next gen comes out. The mirror finish totally kills it for me. The Sport feels "premium" enough to me. Get a nice third party leather or stainless link band and dress it up and you're good to go.

4. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

I want a sport w a sapphire screen.

I can't really tell the difference between the backs, but ceramic SOUNDS nice.

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have the Space Grey Sport and while it's definitely a nice watch, everything is so dark and it just doesn't "pop". For some that's an advantage. For me I'm not so sure. Haven't worn a watch for 20 years and never owned a nice watch, so I'm still trying to determine where I stand on this. But I definitely like the SS models particularly the LL and the LB. I am not springing for a LB right now but the SS LL is doable. Got a few days left in my return period to decide.

6. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yeah, it's looking likely I'll be grabbing an Apple Milanese band. That should help a lot. Just funny since I disliked the stainless steel finish until now. Would prefer to see a brushed/matte finish as well.

----------

I think the silver aluminum Sport excels if you want the Watch to pop a bit more.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I also suggest this or this. They're cheap and the quality is actually great.

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I bought both a sport and an Ss and sold the SS for a huge profit. I like the sport but the SS just looks nicer and pops a lot more so I have another on order and will sell my Sport

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've heard the glass was used on the Sport because it's more resistant to shattering/cracking, which more active people could encounter through falls or whatnot. Sapphire is better at resisting scratches, which is more of a problem for everybody but the less sporty person won't be jumping off a cliff or whatever.

Also, sapphire costs extra. It might've been impossible to produce on the level it would be needed for all Apple Watches -- 85 percent sold have been Sport.

----------

I figured I would want a Sport just because it was the cheaper one by $200 and I find no issue with aluminum. Then I went and tried them on. Damn, that stainless steel looked nice. And the leather loop and Milanese loop looked awesome, and they wouldn't match the aluminum finish. So I ordered a Sport that day but then changed my mind the next day and went for the SS. So far so good. I really like the shine on it, and I'm hoping it withstands injury more than the Sport would.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Don't look bad at all, but I'm hoping for leather closer to the finish on Apple's bands. That's the luxurious type I'm used to on higher-end leather products. Superior third-party bands should come out before the Milanese comes back in-stock.

----------

I'm actually the opposite and was dis-interested in the stainless steel at the try-on but when I combined the Sport with the Milanese all the Apple Store employees gathered together to call the combo dope.

11. grenhall macrumors regular

I just ordered the sport to have until I seated my SS. It's a nice watch though. I'm just not that fond of the aluminum and it's limitations when it comes to third-party straps. Aesthetically I'm not that fond of how the aluminum looks with leather bands for example. And then there's the whole fragile part where the glass is one of the biggest drawbacks for the sport.

12. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Had a sport, didn't really like the alu look and feel. Went SS ML and love it. Well worth the extra in terms of feel, appearance and material quality. I'm not constantly wishing I'd paid a bit more to be 100% happy now

13. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I had the 42 space gray sport. Loved it at first and still kinda do it looks awesome with black on black. I did feel that it lacked a little class and pop as well. I also didnt like how, although decent looking, doesnt dress up or down as good as th stainless. Also like the added scratch protection as i constantly bump or rub things with my hands. So i am selling or returning the sport and already got myself a SS.

The biggest draw was def visual appeal and versatility with other bands and styles though. Worth every penny.

14. anez macrumors 6502

anez

I wouldn't go so far as to say I want the SS version, but damn the lack of availability of bands for the Sport. It's a killer.

I'm one of those people who need things to be "right" and match fully, so I wouldn't pair a Sport with any of of the Apple bands with SS, or the third party bands which are so clearly a different metal.

It definitely limits your choices, and for that reason I occasionally question choosing the Sport. I also find there's something very attractive about the crown on the SS, which just generally looks to be of higher quality than on the Sport?

I do prefer the matte finish of the Sport, though, and the fact that it's lighter, and was cheaper.

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

This pretty much sums up my exact thoughts.

42SG to 38SS. The black looked cool, but wasn't dressy enough for me. Plus, the lack of bands didn't help. SG just didn't fit my professional appearance lifestyle.

16. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Same thing happened to me.

I actually ordered a Sport (SG42) after all the reviews came out on the 10th and basically advised to "get the Sport... 1st gen blah blah" and took that advice.

I understand where the reviews were coming from; they have to appeal to a common demographic. But for a small percentage of people (like MR readers) a lot of the stuff in the reviews simply didn't apply. I love this little thing and didn't want to wait until next year to upgrade. I was fortunately able to see my SG for a small profit and my SS will be arriving today.

That being said; I loved the Space Grey and would buy it/recommend it to most people.

17. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Well I will flip it, and say I sold my SS last week and have a SG sport for delivery next week. TBH the SS didn't scream high quality like I though it would. Sure with other bands maybe, but for a first gen product with sluggish software, the investment for a first go around wasn't worth it. My opinion of course.

I'm also very active so I wanted the lighter sport model

Maybe when the hardware and software improve, I will switch back to a SS model. But for now, I'm happy with my choice of going from SS to SG sport.

18. flur macrumors 68000

I'm always curious about this reason - NO judgment at all - but while I can tell the difference between the two, when wearing I'm not sure I'd notice it. I went out for a walk the other day thinking I had my SS watch on and I didn't. If I can't tell the weight difference between SS watch and no watch, I surely wouldn't notice the weight difference between SS watch and aluminum watch.

So...do you truly notice a difference in practice, and how does it affect you?

19. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Good question, but at times I found the SS watch uncomfortable with long heavy workouts. Always adjusting on my wrist. Hoping the lighter sport will make a difference.

If not, no biggie. The SG sport looks the cleanest, for me.

Will again spend the extra coin on a SS when the software catches up to the hardware

20. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yeah the added class and style of the stainless steel is awesome. At first, I didn't think I would like it as much. My tastes and style have become more professional as time has gone on. Kinda sucks spending over $400 on a watch that I am not really gonna wear with anything and everything. The SS however, fits that sort of lifestyle real well. Luckily it can be dressed down a little bit as well and looks casual enough.

How are you liking the 38mm? It really doesn't even seem thatttt small to me for a watch. Does it feel different when using it?

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

Valid point! It makes a lot of sense. The SS can pretty much go with anything, which is a huge bonus.

I like it. My wrists are only 152mm, so 38mm fits me well. The 42mm looked like a small calculator on my wrist when I had it. After a few days, you get used to the size. The same happened when I got my 6 Plus...now, the 6 Plus doesn't even look that big to me anymore.

22. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Haha, yeah. Not to totally derail the thread, but when I use the 6 plus, it is the perfect size and doesn't even seem big to me (I'm also 6'5" with long hands). Yet despite that, everytime I see someone else using the 6 plus, I immediately "my god that thing is huge!!!". Kinda funny.

Back on topic, OP if you find yourself wanting the SS, do yourself a favor and pony up the money for it. I have found with myself that it is worth spending the extra bit of money to get the product I really want rather than settling.

23. IllusionEntity macrumors 6502

IllusionEntity

The way I see it. But what you want/ can afford. If Apple bring out a new one next year then buy that one and sell the old one of you want to. Easy really. Here's to the people that went all out with Gen 1! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432925090.385018.jpg

24. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

I just got the SG sports. If you want to spend the extra $$ it's better to wait until next year for the 2nd edition :D

25. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Haha, don't mean to sound smug but I knew the only watches I wanted were the :apple: watch models the minute I tried them on. When the watches were introduced I, like many others, were all about the space gray sport but after learning more about the differences I knew the right choice was the Stainless.

Now that I've received and lived with my 42 MM Stainless watch and comparing with all my friends who "were not going to spend $xyz on a first gen product" and their sports even they kind of regret not spending the extra $200 and just getting the sapphire screen, the polished stainless steel case, the weight etc. Those things make a difference on something you plan on wearing day in and day out. :)

The stainless steel body + sapphire screen was always the intended materials for the ideal Apple Watch, just like other $500-800 mechanical examples. To me the Sport was an afterthought once it became obvious they weren't going to be able to offer the Stainless steel at $400.