Warmer yellowish screen on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adcx64, Sep 30, 2012.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Anyone else experiencing a warmer tint that's somewhat yellowish compared to the iPad or the 4S? I find my iPhone 5 shows a little more yellow than the 4S on a white screen. It's could just be how the new display is calibrated.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yes, it seems the iPhone 5 screens are a little warmer compared to previous phones. You can see the comparison in this video around the 5:35 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmTBV9H7dbA

I compared my iPhone 5 to display models at an apple store and mine surprisingly was pretty white. Every single display model had a yellowish screen.

5. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Cool. Didn't know if I should have taken it back or not!

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

A) Glue holding the display to the screen.
    B) The screen on the iPhone 5 is calibrated 98% accuracy to the standard sRGB/Rec.709 Color Gamut. This means colours are produced more accurately while the overall display might be warmer it really is more realistic.

7. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

If it turns out to be glue, isn't that something that goes away over time?

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yep! They will dry in a week at most IIRC. Same 'issue' with the iPhone 4 :rolleyes:

9. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I gotcha. That puts me at ease. So I shouldn't need another replacement? This is actually my second 5 and I don't recall the old one like this!

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

I cannot BELIEVE how long this glue myth has survived!

It isn't glue and never was. The glue thing was small yellow dots on the i4 screens 2.5 years ago, not an allover yellow tint!

The new screens are in-cell tech, there’s NO GLUE INVOLVED, the digitizer is built into the display! Yet people still parrot this fallacy!

The yellow will never go away. Never. Apple uses 3 different vendors for LCDs, one produces these yellowish displays. They are terrible. Absolutely terrible.

If it bothers you, like it does me, wait a few weeks for the next batch and get yourself a retail swap (NOT genius phone) to get one with a better screen.

This happens EVERY year.

----------

Usually the very first launch day phones are beautiful clear screens. Then you have a few weeks of yellow since these low quality screens apparently are easier to manufacture. The better screens will return in a few weeks.

11. Che Castro macrumors 603

Well mine looked yellow the first few days & now it looks white

12. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I don't think that guys theory is true, as the phone was still made before launch day. Maybe like Che Castro said, time will tell.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

Ha

I've been dealing with this for 4 years my man. I know what I am talking about. I wrote Tim Cook an email and got a call from Apple Executive relations. They themselves told me it wasn't glue. Your phone will never get any whiter. Castro has gotten used to his, but if you put it next to a clear 4S screen, the difference will be obvious.

Wait it out if you want, it'll never go away. This I 100% promise you.

As production ramps up they have to churn out as many phones as possible for launch day. The good screens get used up first, then they move to these low grade screens. Happens every year, like clockwork.

As mentioned though, there is no glue used in the manufacture of the iPhone5 display, so better find a new theory even if you choose to ignore the facts (as given by Apple) I've given you here.

14. femin macrumors newbie

thats because you got used to. if you compare to a whiter iphone 4, u will realize it never became whiter.

trust me, i went through quite a few iphone 4 because of this yellow screen issue, turns out apple use different LCD panels, if yours yellow now, it will always be yellow, unless you get lucky and find a screen that has the panel display whiter whites. another way to find out is if you have 2 iphones, one whiter screen, and one with yellow screens. turn off both screens and compare them in a bright room, you will see the panel with the whiter screen is more purplish. its not very obvious, however if looked closely, you find out its the lcd hardware, not even color calibration can fully fix this.
    some might suggest to jailbreak and use the color profile cydia app, but even that won't fully achieve the white screen you see in Apple Store iphone displays. i'd advise just try to live with it and move on.

15. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

So basically it's just not even worth a replacement since the new one will likely be the same?

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

Right now yes, supplies of the good screens are constrained. Wait 3 weeks and do a retail swap. RETAIL swap. If you do a genius swap you will get a phone that someone returned with a yellow screen. Good luck, friend, welcome to the group that trys to game the Apple supply chain so we can get the phone thats on display at the store.

17. PBz macrumors 6502a

This is so friggin true. I've had an Apple manager all but confirm it. Was a real PITA when I bought the iPad 2 too early but after launch. Will be mid to late October before I buy a 5.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

19. kre62 macrumors 68000

Castro I've been dealing with this issue for 4 years. Every product launch at least 4-5 things are said about the yellow screens. Heres 2 of them:

1) That its glue
    2) Someone claimes their phone got better.

Give your phone a day and look again. Really compare it side by side to a known good screen 4 or 4S. It'll still be yellow. Happens every time.

It aint going away. You cant fix defective.

20. Che Castro macrumors 603

I'll post a pic of my iPhone 5 with a white background later today
    But it won't look as good cause my only other camera is an iPhone 4

21. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I have just posted images of two iPhone 5's versus my iPhone 4 in this thread.

22. Merkie macrumors 68020

Glue causes SMALL YELLOW SPOTS. It doesn't change color temperature. No yellow screen has ever become more blue over time. The glue story is a complete lie. It's something Engadget ran with the iPhone 4 (explaining small yellow spots) and people have gone to use the story to explain every yellow tint in displays.

Second, some iPhone 5 screens are a bit yellow, others are more blue. There isn't such a thingbas "the iPhone screen". There are several iPhone screens.

23. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

a uniformly "yellow" screen is generally because you're all used to looking at an iPhone 4/4S or iPad 2 screen which is too cold (too blue). Apple did the same thing with the iPad 3 and people were complaining about yellow screens.

I calibrated my iPad 3 screen with a Spyder 4 and there is next to no difference between the calibrated and non-calibrated screens, which tells me that the so-called yellow screen is how it is meant to look, with respect to a white point colour temperature of 6500K. I've not done it yet with my 5, but I expect to find the same thing.

24. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It is a CALIBRATION issue.

I just hope Apple has a universal calibration.

I cannot believe Apple still hasn't included a display calibrator. It will save them thousands from people who return their phone 1 million times for this "issue".

25. timychann macrumors newbie

It does look a bit more warm, and may put some people off. If you're really worried, then replace it, but as others have said, it should be easily fixed either through the light method (Make sure you hold it in the light source for 30+ seconds), or through a software update.

Personally, I'm used to it since I have f.lux on my Macbook, iPod Touch and iPad.