Warning: Bad Apple Experience, Read Before Ordering New Macbook Pro On Apple.com

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bella92108, Oct 15, 2008.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

So a bit eff'n pi$%%ed off here.

I ordered the new Macbook Pro from the Apple Store Online... and literally the second the store came back up (10:04 am PDT) I placed the order. I ordered the base Macbook Pro default configuration. I figured I'd save myself a trip to the store and order the Video-Out DVI connector (which I'm bitter about paying for anyhow but I did) and so it was the $1999 + $29. I got my order confirmation.

Two hours later my friend called, he ordered the same thing, minus the video cable. His order confirmation said 2-3 days until shipping, mine said 3-5 days. I called Apple and was told "Yours is a custom-built system so it'll take 3-5 days to ship as it's coming from China as they're custom building it"... SO AGITATED... it's a DVI cable, which I guarantee you will come in a second box from a second shipping location (probably within the USA)... so this identifies a major defficiency with their order fufillment process. It's sad. Either way, if my friend ordered their system and got "2-3 days till shipping" why did Steve say "they're shipping today"...

Rediculous, so caution if you're ordering online. If you add anything onto the order besides the actual laptop, they'll send it to "Custom Config" and apparently that's a black hole (also known as China)... SAD. And they've charged me already so there's nothing I can do about it.

BAD BAD BUSINESS APPLE!

2. Logos327 macrumors 6502

Or you could get off your high horse and be a little patient and wait the extra few days because you were lazy and didn't want to go to the Apple store.

I can understand how you feel (I ordered mine yesterday as well but it is BTO) but that is something I understood when ordering it.

You don't matter to Apple so they are not doing bad business.

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

What is it with people on this site, you seem intent to shoot people down. Get of your high horses. If you have nothing worth while to say then simply skip over the thread.

4. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I should clarify... when I ordered it said "Ships within 1-3 days" and then it came back and said "3-5 Days" on the Order Confirmation... It's the pre-sale promise vs the post-sale delivery that upset me. Apple is sometimes slow with free shipping, that's why I paid for the expedited shipping. The thing that upsets me isn't that it takes a while, it's that they represented that it would be 1-3 days, then charged me and said 3-5 days.

If you consider that good business practice then you're an ideal Dell customer.

5. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I sure hope you're talking to the person who responded to my post, not me. I simply passed on a message with an issue that I experienced, for the benefit of saving someone else the hassle of the misleading shipping time. If someone had posted this prior to me ordering mine I would have waited and got it from the store....

6. danny_w macrumors 601

What does Custom Order mean exactly? Does this place it into the same category as Built To Order (BTO) which is non-returnable? In that case I would be mad too; otherwise I would just wait the extra few days.

7. James17 macrumors 6502

Although I understand it's a small accessory, I expect there will be a high volume of orders for the new MacBook Pro and the easiest way to deal with them is by giving priority to the standard config ones. I don't think Apple has acted wrongly at all in your case, you just seem upset because it will take a while longer. I don't see your case as a bad experience- you're just annoyed.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ever heard of some people don't live next to 4 Apple Stores; their closest one may be 300 miles away?

Well get off your high horse too.

Yeah that does sound pretty bad; I'm guessing you can probably call to cancel it; then just order the standard model and the adapter in 2 orders.

9. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Wow, you might have to wait another 1-2days :rolleyes: Some people...

10. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah they're calling it a "Custom To Order" ... not the standard off-the-shelf system... but I bet I get 2 boxes... one with the computer (COMPLETELY STANDARD $1999 model) and one box with just the DVI cable in it since they're two totally stand-alone products. I'm guessing it's a glitch in their ordering system, because if I order a macbook pro it'll ship right away, if i order a DVI cable, same thing, right away, but together on the same order it looks at it like it were a custom hard drive config or memory upgrade, it goes to their Custom To Order Que... bummer.

11. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

12. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a right to be annoyed. I ordered 2 items. They sent it to the built-to-order queue. Annoyed customers = bad experience. Look around, clearly it's agreed that it's a bad experience. If you were in my shoes you'd be upset to, so get over it, don't post if you contribute nothing.

13. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

If you were in the same position you would be "crying a ****ing river" but since you aren't getting one you don't care. Either way, your posting was non productive to anyone reading it.

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Bella, I was taking to the other poster. DOn't worry about it apple customer service have managed to screw up my order. God knows how and now I can expect it at the end of the month. I only ordered a standard 17" 24hr shipping, but somehow they have managed to order me a BTO from china.

Go figure, I am trying to lose my patience.:mad:

15. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Haha, Dell :eek:

Yeah, too right you should be annoyed. I get what you're saying, that it's not that you're waiting longer that bothers you, it's that you were told it would be one thing, the thing you were paying extra for, then they got your money and told you something else. Poor practice.

Thanks for the heads-up.

16. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

The reason is simple. Apple dumbs down as much for their customers as possible. If they send you the computer without the cable while you expect the box to include "everything needed to connect my shiney new toy to my old monitor" you might start calling support. They don't want you to cause additional support costs, so they let you wait until the whole package is ready to be delivered to you for a happy "consumer" experience. ;)

17. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Think yourself lucky that you're not in the UK. My order for a stock MBP said 7 business days when placing the order (all new notebooks are stating a minimum of 7 business days here). The confirmation email arrived a few minutes later stating that it would take nearly 3 weeks to arrive. Hopefully it will arrive earlier than that, but Apple's on-line ordering system is a bit lacking when it comes to delivery information.

18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I wouldn't call that a *bad* experience. You put different/ more things in your order, so it takes a different length of time. You'll be receiving two parcels not one. What's hard to understand about that?

Your friend's order is 2-3 days, yours is 3-5 days, so you might still receive your order at the same time or even before him.

The most likely thing is that both your orders will be late. Apple isn't known for shipping brand new just-released items on time.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

WOW!! I feel sorry for you!! That's very typical of the UK in my experience. We seem to wait for the smallest thing.

20. James17 macrumors 6502

I don't care who thinks it's a bad experience, I don't. No matter what you order as an extra it is expected to be longer, that is a simple assumption and that's the way they work. I don't really see the purpose of this thread- no one here can do anything so you could've avoided posting this thread and instead spoke to Apple. If it's such a bad experience, maybe you should take your custom somewhere else. I don't think there is anything for me to "get over".

21. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

It's not the end of the world, but I agree with the poster that it is bad customer service. Apple should be able to give an accurate prediction of delivery before you place your order. It's not good to over-promise before you hand over your cash, and then give you a later delivery date afterwards.

The post could be useful to some people. It makes it known that you shouldn't rely on Apple's quoted delivery timescales, which will be an important factor for some people.

22. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe you should review your posting before submitting it. Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation, OH MY!

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I went through a similar deal last year, but I wasn't as pissed as you are. And it does count as a BTO, because the adapter is placed inside the box, it is not added separately in another box. Any time that you change what is says on that order page, it counts as a BTO and will take more time to be built.

Wow dude, stop being a jerk to other people just because you customized your order and are disagreeing with Apple's manufacturing process. This is the freaking internet, and his post barely had any punctuation errors. So please chill out before you get yourself any infraction points.

24. Logos327 macrumors 6502

In the last week this forum has been full of useless threads and 100s of repeats from stupid people. This upsets me.

It is two damn days. I want my MBP here now, but I have to wait like everyone who orders anything from anywhere. Have you never had something delivered late? I am not so egotistical to flip out when my product is a few days late. That is life. That is how the world works. Get over it.

The OP did not mention his/her proximity to an Apple store but even if it was hours away it is faster than a week. I am on no high horse. I am simply saying get over how the world works. The OP acts as if Apple is unique in this horrible thing they are doing! In all of the years I have been ordering from online stores, I have had a handful show up early and the rest split half and half between on time and late.

If the display adapter is in the box, you have nothing to bitch about. Your order is now different than the standard boxes that can be shipped immediately.

25. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

That was my motive in posting this, just to let others know to be careful. When new products come out, those of us who order them want them. I had my heart set on having it by this weekend based on the website telling me ships within 1-3 days and I paid for the express shipping.

Steve said "shipping today"... not "available on the website for order today"... so maybe it was a blunder on his part... but either way I think it's funny how many parade-rainers there are on here... none of which ordered them I'm sure. lol