Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thespyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
Liverpool UK
Think yourself lucky that you're not in the UK. My order for a stock MBP said 7 business days when placing the order (all new notebooks are stating a minimum of 7 business days here). The confirmation email arrived a few minutes later stating that it would take nearly 3 weeks to arrive. Hopefully it will arrive earlier than that, but Apple's on-line ordering system is a bit lacking when it comes to delivery information.

Yikes, not fun, hope it comes sooner for you. Thanks for posting that here as I'm also in the UK. Luckily we had an Apple store open here in Liverpool this year so if I go for the new MBP I'll definitely be picking mine up in-store. Cheers :)

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
And another point: It isn't like you ordered it and then Apple said that it would take two more days, you knew how long it was going to take from the start and then found out that it was longer later. It isn't like Apple lied to you or anything.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
In the last week this forum has been full of useless threads and 100s of repeats from stupid people. This upsets me.

It is two damn days. I want my MBP here now, but I have to wait like everyone who orders anything from anywhere. Have you never had something delivered late? I am not so egotistical to flip out when my product is a few days late. That is life. That is how the world works. Get over it.

The OP did not mention his/her proximity to an Apple store but even if it was hours away it is faster than a week. I am on no high horse. I am simply saying get over how the world works. The OP acts as if Apple is unique in this horrible thing they are doing! In all of the years I have been ordering from online stores, I have had a handful show up early and the rest split half and half between on time and late.

If the display adapter is in the box, you have nothing to bitch about. Your order is now different than the standard boxes that can be shipped immediately.

I do live close to an Apple Store, I just chose to have it delivered based on my order page saying "ships within 1-3 days" and I paid for express shipping. Compare to Amazon.com... I have ordered hundreds of times from them. They don't say "ships within 1-3 days" then come back and say "ships within 3-5 days" once they've taken your money. Inventory systems are real-time now, this isn't 1905, they can handle the volume of orders that come in, and can give actual delivery times based on inventory. You don't seem to GET it that I'm not complaining because it takes 5 days to ship, I'm complaining because I handed them money because they said they'd ship within 3 days and then now won't ship for FIVE. If you can't read a thread as it is written and not as you want to interperate it, then don't read this thread.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
And another point: It isn't like you ordered it and then Apple said that it would take two more days, you knew how long it was going to take from the start and then found out that it was longer later. It isn't like Apple lied to you or anything.

YES IT IS, THAT'S MY WHOLE POINT!!!! I'M NOT ANGRY BECAUSE IT'S SLOW, I'M ANGRY BECAUSE THE ORDER CONFIRMATION PRINT OUT SAYS 1-3 DAYS ON THE ORDER CONFIRMATION PAGE I PRINTED AFTER ORDERING, THEN THE EMAIL THAT CAME SAID 3-5 DAYS. IT'S TELLING ME ONE THING AS I ORDER, EVEN POST-ORDER, AND THEN THE EMAIL COMES STATING 3-5. HAD THEY SAID 3-5 DAYS INITIALLY I WOULD NOT HAVE ORDERED IT FROM THE WEB, WHAT PART OF THAT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?!?!!?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The adapters get put into the box with the computer. That's why it takes longer.

Also - you paid for express SHIPPING. You did not pay for express packing.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
So a bit eff'n pi$%%ed off here.

I ordered the new Macbook Pro from the Apple Store Online... and literally the second the store came back up (10:04 am PDT) I placed the order. I ordered the base Macbook Pro default configuration. I figured I'd save myself a trip to the store and order the Video-Out DVI connector (which I'm bitter about paying for anyhow but I did) and so it was the $1999 + $29. I got my order confirmation.

Two hours later my friend called, he ordered the same thing, minus the video cable. His order confirmation said 2-3 days until shipping, mine said 3-5 days. I called Apple and was told "Yours is a custom-built system so it'll take 3-5 days to ship as it's coming from China as they're custom building it"... SO AGITATED... it's a DVI cable, which I guarantee you will come in a second box from a second shipping location (probably within the USA)... so this identifies a major defficiency with their order fufillment process. It's sad. Either way, if my friend ordered their system and got "2-3 days till shipping" why did Steve say "they're shipping today"...

Rediculous, so caution if you're ordering online. If you add anything onto the order besides the actual laptop, they'll send it to "Custom Config" and apparently that's a black hole (also known as China)... SAD. And they've charged me already so there's nothing I can do about it.

BAD BAD BUSINESS APPLE!

Seriously? You didn't order the basic configuration, so you have a custom built machine. Christ, man, you're one of thousands of people, this is how big business works.

Of ALL things to bitch out, this is just ridiculous.

James17

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Seriously? You didn't order the basic configuration, so you have a custom built machine. Christ, man, you're one of thousands of people, this is how big business works.

I agree.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
The adapters get put into the box with the computer. That's why it takes longer.

Also - you paid for express SHIPPING. You did not pay for express packing.

Please folks, you're just not listening.

The problem is that Apple is claiming one delivery timescale when placing your order, and then backtracking at a later stage in the process. Surely you can see that isn't good practise?

OK, so a couple of days delay isn't a huge deal, but that doesn't make it right.

In my case, they put the delivery back by about 10 days compared to the original timescale stated when ordering. It was an automated email that arrived within a few minutes of ordering, so it's not like it is as the result of any unexpected circumstances. That can't be regarded as good customer service.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006

Right... So if you go to Apple.com and "custom configure" a system and it says "Ships in 1-3 Days" so you order it, print the confirmation page that says "Ships in 1-3 days" then you get an email several minutes later "We have charged your card. Your order will ship within 3-5 days" you wouldn't be equally agitated? There are so many hypocrites on this site. Because it's not you, you rail on me for complaining, yet in my shoes if you were told one thing, paid your $2200 then told something completely different you'd be pissed too. People are so dumb. Clinton wasn't a bad guy because he slept with Monica, he was a bad guy because he committed a crime in lying under oath about an event that he was involved in.

Mircera

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
The thing is when you need to ship a new product to 500.000 people or how many buys new notebooks, you prepare your warehouses and make packages with standard setups for the different regions(keyboard layout, manuals etc). That way you can get the most needs covered very fast. If a package must include an extra cable its not part of these preperations, and thats why its a "custom" setup.

To be honest, this is what you can expect untill the first load of orders has been handled.

Relax, spend some time with your loved ones, or at the TV :) You'll get your new MBP soon enough :) Im getting mine in 2 weeks.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006

The problem is that Apple is claiming one delivery timescale when placing your order, and then backtracking at a later stage in the process. Surely you can see that isn't good practise?

OK, so a couple of days delay isn't a huge deal, but that doesn't make it right.

In my case, they put the delivery back by about 10 days compared to the original timescale stated when ordering. It was an automated email that arrived within a few minutes of ordering, so it's not like it is as the result of any unexpected circumstances. That can't be regarded as good customer service.

I'm done arguing with these people. I'm glad you see it. I love how the idiots read my post and scream because they think I'm angry about how long it's going to take. I'm screming because they claimed one thing then after charging me claimed a lot longer. Thanks for being the one who grasps my anger here. I think the others just like to be confrontational. Maybe just jealous because they're not getting one, lol.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Im getting mine in 2 weeks.

So how will you feel if you now have paid for it, and they send you an email that says you're NOT getting it in two weeks, but in fact it's going to be 6 weeks? That's MY situation and why I'm bitching, not because of the "custom config issue"... read posts before you respond, everyone!

DubbleDuecer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
I understand,

I can vouch for the OP as i am in the Exact same situation. I ordered the the 2500 MBP (shelf system) with the DVI display cable and I too had the same experience. I ordered it at 4 mins after the store opened. I was expecting the computer by Friday (Have a 12 bus ride this weekend) Now after I got my order conformation I can expect my Computer between the 20th-24th. If I would have known that I would not have payed for the extra shipping as it would probably be here by next week friday(24) with the free shipping anyway

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
I can vouch for the OP as i am in the Exact same situation. I ordered the the 2500 MBP (shelf system) with the DVI display cable and I too had the same experience. I ordered it at 4 mins after the store opened. I was expecting the computer by Friday (Have a 12 bus ride this weekend) Now after I got my order conformation I can expect my Computer between the 20th-24th. If I would have known that I would not have payed for the extra shipping as it would probably be here by next week friday(24) with the free shipping anyway

This may all simply be a bug in Apple's ordering system. I've already sent feedback to Apple suggesting that they should look at it. If more people do the same, Apple might sort it out.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I do live close to an Apple Store, I just chose to have it delivered based on my order page saying "ships within 1-3 days" and I paid for express shipping. Compare to Amazon.com... I have ordered hundreds of times from them. They don't say "ships within 1-3 days" then come back and say "ships within 3-5 days" once they've taken your money. Inventory systems are real-time now, this isn't 1905, they can handle the volume of orders that come in, and can give actual delivery times based on inventory. You don't seem to GET it that I'm not complaining because it takes 5 days to ship, I'm complaining because I handed them money because they said they'd ship within 3 days and then now won't ship for FIVE. If you can't read a thread as it is written and not as you want to interperate it, then don't read this thread.

Ok I am sorry I misunderstood what you were saying; however I think you have a stronger point if you were arguing what I was arguing against. Apple can do whatever the hell they want. This is how capitalist systems work. Apple will continue to operate in the way they want as long as the market deems it acceptable, and believe me Apple will not loose any business over this.

Is it "wrong" sure, but it is about as wrong as taking Halloween candy from your siblings bag. There is no big injustice. Please also understand that I am not some big Apple fan boy (this will be my first Mac). This is how companies work and there isn't anything we can do about it.

So how will you feel if you now have paid for it, and they send you an email that says you're NOT getting it in two weeks, but in fact it's going to be 6 weeks? That's MY situation and why I'm bitching, not because of the "custom config issue"... read posts before you respond, everyone!

And finally, that is vastly over played. 6 weeks is a hell of a lot longer than 2 days. If you are living near the friend you spoke with, I would like to know how much sooner they receive their MBP or MB.

znewton

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Bella, I was taking to the other poster. DOn't worry about it apple customer service have managed to screw up my order. God knows how and now I can expect it at the end of the month. I only ordered a standard 17" 24hr shipping, but somehow they have managed to order me a BTO from china.

Go figure, I am trying to lose my patience.:mad:

How are you guys able to tell if it is a BTO order from China? I ordered the standard config MB 2.4, but I added apple care.

Please do not tell me that buying apple care makes it a custom config!!

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah they're calling it a "Custom To Order" ... not the standard off-the-shelf system... but I bet I get 2 boxes... one with the computer (COMPLETELY STANDARD $1999 model) and one box with just the DVI cable in it since they're two totally stand-alone products. I'm guessing it's a glitch in their ordering system, because if I order a macbook pro it'll ship right away, if i order a DVI cable, same thing, right away, but together on the same order it looks at it like it were a custom hard drive config or memory upgrade, it goes to their Custom To Order Que... bummer.

I believe it's Configure-To-Order, but I may be wrong

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
Ok I am sorry I misunderstood what you were saying; however I think you have a stronger point if you were arguing what I was arguing against. Apple can do whatever the hell they want. This is how capitalist systems work. Apple will continue to operate in the way they want as long as the market deems it acceptable, and believe me Apple will not loose any business over this.

Is it "wrong" sure, but it is about as wrong as taking Halloween candy from your siblings bag. There is no big injustice. Please also understand that I am not some big Apple fan boy (this will be my first Mac). This is how companies work and there isn't anything we can do about it.

And finally, that is vastly over played. 6 weeks is a hell of a lot longer than 2 days. If you are living near the friend you spoke with, I would like to know how much sooner they receive their MBP or MB.

Yes, it's all relative. As I said before, it's not the end of the world, and I suspect we would all agree on that!

However, this should be relatively simple to correct, and there is no value in Apple over-promising and under-delivering, neither to Apple nor the customer.

Here's hoping that we all get our new toys sooner than we expect!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006

I agree.... it's a dramatization... but 2 weeks is to 6 weeks as 2 days is to 6 days in scale.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Yes, it's all relative. As I said before, it's not the end of the world, and I suspect we would all agree on that!

However, this should be relatively simple to correct, and there is no value in Apple over-promising and under-delivering, neither to Apple nor the customer.

Agreed. There just doesn't need to be a rant about it.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Waaaaaa! Waaaaaa! I don't want to go to the Apple Store. Waaaaaa! Waaaaaa!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
How are you guys able to tell if it is a BTO order from China? I ordered the standard config MB 2.4, but I added apple care.

Please do not tell me that buying apple care makes it a custom config!!

Dude, you're getting a CTO (custom) order from China, ahahaha.... the Jewish Council has to specially bless yours in China prior to including apple care. Adding the "aura" to the box is going to add 2-3 days. Thanks for your business!

znewton

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Dude, you're getting a CTO (custom) order from China, ahahaha.... the Jewish Council has to specially bless yours in China prior to including apple care. Adding the "aura" to the box is going to add 2-3 days. Thanks for your business!

And that really helps! I was looking for an answer that might actually help me out.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand

Oooooh, if I'd have know that, I would have added Applecare too. I could do with a good "aura" right now. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.