Was I Dumb to Buy an iPhone Yesterday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikey B, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I finally broke down and bought an iPhone yesterday. :) A number of factors finally coalesced into the purchase of an 8 gig iPhone with an AT&T contract. Although like I have previously posted I'm not totally convinced that a new iPhone is coming in June, I still have a couple of reservations. I feel like Apple isn't going to launch the App Store and firmware 2.0 with a new revision of the device. But the case for a release is plausible. I'm conflicted.

I absolutely love the iPhone, though, no confliction on that! I'm not particularly impressed with the 3G coverage in MI, and honestly, 3G has grown very slowly. My main concern is a new feature set that's going to leave me wishing I had waited. I hate playing that game, though. I waited so long for the benefits to outweigh the cost for me, and I don't particularly want to wait any longer!

What do you all think?

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Don't worry about it! A new one will come out every time, Murphy's law being what it is.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well since 3G is scarce where you live, getting a 3G iPhone would kinda be pointless.

Keep your iPhone. If you want the new one, sell your current one on ebay. Since you already opened it, you'll have to pay a 10% restocking fee to return it within 2 weeks.

So my opinion, wait a few weeks, and enjoy your new cool iPhone in the mean time :)

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Especially with the coverage being bad near you, I'd say you made a great choice. The main difference I've heard about is the addition of GPS navigation feature.

5. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

That's the one law that I seem to have followed most in my life:rolleyes:

6. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Although the current iphone is a great device, the new one is coming out (supposedly) in June. The new one would more than likely cost the same as the current one, so the benefits of purchasing the new one would include:

higher resale value
    3g (for when it does become available in your area)
    larger storage if you need it
    possible gps (which is always nice to have)

So yes, I think it wasn't the smartest move to buy the *old* iphone when a new release is so close.

That is what I think you should do. You'll enjoy it for a bit, but be able to get the new one without worrying about selling the one you'd have if you keep it. (I hope that sentence makes sense... I am sure confuzzled now ;) )

Whatever you decide to do, you'll be glad. I know it! :)

7. touchyphone macrumors regular

My opinion is this, lets say the new phone has 3G and GPS....How often would you actually use this GPS, I mean, do you travel alot? If not then you probably alreayd know ehre you are going ;) But seriously, I don't think you made a mistake, the new version if it only has 3G and GPS, thats not that big of an upgrade, storage too with those others, then maybe, but you di dthe right thing, I don't know about EDGE speeds by you, but here in Los Angeles, I get a good 210kbps....3G maybe faster, but EDGE will do, if you browse frequently.

I say enjoy your phone for a few months, then sell it on eBay, or hand it down, either way you have an iPhone so enjoy it, you're one of the few who do!

8. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I guess I just don't buy into the hype of a June release. June is about development more than devices, IMO. I think that they will be more focused on the application launch.

All of this talk about June is based on sketchy reports of Chinese manufacturers and the words of one man. Granted Walt often knows what he's talking about, I don't know if his word warrants the rumors that have swept the 'net. And we've seen them before...

Also, my plan G is that I have this iPhone and a week old Touch (replaced through Apple Care) that could be sold for a new version of the iPhone and some cash. We'll see...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not hype or rummors, 3G is comeing in June. They even contracted the same company in china to have production ready for launch. But either way enjoy what u got, u can always sell it and get the new one if it has newer features that u like.

10. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

How do you know this? I have not seen one definitive report that it is coming in June. Contracting a manufacturer doesn't guarantee an immediate release, I don't think. Where are you getting your info?

11. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I think it was a poor decision considering you bought a 10-month old phone, that was somewhat outdated (data connectivity) to begin with, full well knowing an improved model with [minimum] 3G and GPS is imminent.

Yes, there will always be something new, but you purchased at the very end of the life cycle, instead of the beginning or middle. If you've made it without an iPhone all these months, you could have made it until June. You will have severe buyer's remorse (and a model that will fetch a far lower resale value) in less than six weeks.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If a manufacturer contract for a specific amount for launch is not enough proof then what is. I dont think it will be ready for June or July but it will be announced then and released a month or two later. Dont worry about it so much. U can't always have the latest all the time, tech products upgrade way too often.

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

The 3G iPhone is most likely to come out late June. That's what my guess. They will announce it at WWDC, and give it 2 weeks to ship.

14. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

You really think the iPhone is outdated?

What if it isn't released in June. Then what? Wait until September? November? The 3rd Generation?

I don't know...

15. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

I agree, even if a new iphone isnt released in June, waiting another couple of months to see would have been the smarter choice. Even if you dont need 3g and gps, you could have at the very least gotten a better deal on the current model. If it was me, I would return the phone, take the $40 hit, and wait it out until june.

16. Mikey B thread starter macrumors 65816

Mikey B

So are all you guys that are waiting or upgrading in June going to buy a new 4-500 dollar iPhone every time they're released?

17. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

No, I have an iphone that I purchased on iday and have no plans of upgrading it until I drop and break it. (which will happen eventually.) But if I broke it tomorrow, I would definitely wait it out until the upgraded iphones were released.

I think its funny that everyone here is acting like it isnt just common sense to hold off on purchasing a tech product that is at the very end of its life cycle, with all signs pointing to an update extremely soon.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Then enjoy your new iPhone. :)

It sounds like 3G is not a big deal to you, so why wait for something you don't need?

The bottom line, is that you can wait forever to have the latest and greatest, or you can get something now that you can enjoy using.

19. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

It will be sometime in summer. Why did you even ask us if you were just going to defend your choice. If you like it and you won't have buyers remorse when the new iphone comes out reaalllyy soooon then don't post a thread here asking if it was the right decision. You should know what everyone will say, and if you don't (I'm sorry to say this but) you shouldn't even be on this forum. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but try not to involve fellow macrumors people over something that only requires yourself to figure out. :nododgy:

Justin

20. zmit macrumors regular

next tuesday????

i just got my iphone today. in Australia. we dont have 3G in the city that i live in, i dont care.

Mikey B - enjoy your iPhone :D i know i will

21. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Nah, i Would have waited, but its not dumb to have bought yesterday, unless you had plans of buying gen 2.

22. wirelessbob macrumors newbie

Its just a phone, Don't fall in love... it will break.... you will get a new one... I'm hard on phones. If I get 12 months form a phone I would be doing will...

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Honestly, if 3G and possibly more storage aren't big selling points for you, be happy with your purchase. An imminent upgrade won't make your current phone any less great.

24. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Certainly not dumb, especially if you are happy.

However, I would certainly think we are within the window that i would not recommend any friends of mine to buy a current iPhone. Probably more features, functionality at same price within 1 to 2 months.

But really, enjoy it and who cares.

25. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

:) just make the most of the device now that you bought it :)