Was the 6s upgrade worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Minarets, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Minarets macrumors 6502

Was the iPhone 6 to 6s upgrade really worth the money?

I'm still on 5s (with corporate phone). Work is telling me I can upgrade. 6 is free or a 6s is $199. I dont pay for the bill but when I said 6s please, was told I needed to justify the business reasons why we turn down the free phone. I'd pay it out of my pocket if it's worth it. But looks like the camera and force touch is it. Is that worth it? Or just the fact I will be 2 cycles behind in no time?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

If it were only a $100 difference I'd go with the 6s for longevity purposes since it will be able to handle far more iOS updates than the 6 due to having the A9, 2gb of ram, and force touch...

... for a $200 difference though I'd go with the free 6 and upgrade at a later time.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

for $200 go with the 6s it will last longer and they will be signing IOS's for it till at least the iPhone 9

5. Minarets thread starter macrumors 6502

That is the only thing keeping the 6 s in the running for me. I don't think the current features are worth it to me, but the future OS will most definitely utilize force touch 3D Touch and I'd be good to go with that...

6. EdwardSmith36 macrumors regular

I think it is really worth, as we all know that upgrading a device is must doing task. though it may cost a higher amount.

7. Skika macrumors 68030

5S to 6 you basically get the bigger screen and apple pay, performance wise they are almost the same. With the 6S you actually get a full upgrade in performance from your 5S and 3D touch.

8. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

Worth it for the upgraded touch id, its ridiculously fast now .

9. gimmmick macrumors member

gimmmick

If you are just using your phone to make phone calls, check email, send text messages for work, do you really need something more then an iphone 5s?

I went from a iphone 5s to a 6s and it was well worth the upgrade. The feel, the bigger screen, the battery life, the 2 gigs of ram all factor in. It's lit. the perfect phone for me (from a screen size to overall what I'm I looking for). I'm sure the 7 will have the wow factor with it's new design. I'm happy with the phone and I'm at the age where I just wanna use things I'm comfortable about using and gets the job done. (31 btw).

10. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

It is definitely worth paying the extra to upgrade to a 6S rather than a 6. Touch ID and the 2Gb RAM deliver noticeable improvements and 3D Touch might come into it's own in the next couple of years.

11. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I'd take the free phone myself. It doesn't sound like you were in a hurry to upgrade before the offer is made. By the time the 6 is no good, your company may offer you another phone or something you like more may be available.

12. nando87 macrumors 6502a

From 6 to 6s, no it wasn't. Better to go from 6 directly to 7.

13. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well. It's hard to say. Personally I upgraded from 16Gb iPhone 6 to 64Gb iPhone 6S Plus. Mainly because I needed more storage and wanted bigger display which happens to be also slightly sharper. Those were my main motivations to upgrade.

Faster processor, better camera, 3D touch and stupidly fast Touch ID were nice extras though.

If I were in your situation, I would go for 6S. Especially because you're coming from 5S. The regular iPhone 6 is basically just 5S with bigger display.

14. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Yes because I downgraded from the plus which aside from battery life was the best decision.

Plus it feels so much smoother and faster than my plus ever did. And I can't go back to non-force touch phones now.

15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I went from a 6 to a 6s. I don't usually do that quick of an upgrade, but this one was worth it. The 6 was gimped in the RAM department bad enough to really impact performance. Also, the old aluminum on the 6 was just not durable enough. Between performance, durability, and added features, the 6s was totally worth the upgrade costs to me. I'll be hanging on to this one at least until the 7s, if not longer.

16. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Coming from the 5, the 6s is a nice upgrade. I don't notice too much difference in speed from the interface, but the larger screen is nice to have. And I show off the 3D Touch and Touch ID/Apple Pay anywhere I can, tho gimmicky.

Tbh, I probably could've used my 5 as a daily driver for another year or two, or more. But I would get the 6s; for me, $199 is worth the added future proofing and peace of mind.

17. Minarets thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, with corporate, we are tied to 2 years with the phone. So when I get this (whatever it will be) it will be 2 more years before I can upgrade again.

18. Fthree macrumors 6502a

The 6s is noticeably faster than the 6 I had previously, I can only imagine going from a 5s. I say pay the extra and enjoy the newer tech.

19. colorfuel macrumors member

For those applications even a 5 seems good enough to me. :)

20. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I had the 6s Plus, but returned it, keeping my 5s until the 7 comes out, which is only 8 or 9 months from now. Reason: For my needs, some e-mail, photos, a bit of SIRI once in a while, very few internet, and some texting, movies on my TV instead of a small screen, and my 5s is good enough for another few months.

1. Do not care for 3D touch myself
    2. Apple did not include a better sensor with the camera for low light situations.

Your needs will be different than others.

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Let me tell you my thoughts on the 6s and 6s Plus. I came from an iPhone 6 which before that I came from an iPhone 5s which before that was an iPhone 5c which before that was an iPhone 4s...

The 6s Was and is a wonderful upgrade from the iPhone 6 which makes it a great upgrade from the 5s as well. The iPhone 6 was crippled from the beginning. It came with 1GB of RAM and the A8 chip was really noT much faster then the A7 at all. When Apple released the iPhone 6 they relied on the bigger screen to sale the phone and not
    Much else. That's all the 6 is ... An iPhone 5s with a bigger screen.

The 6s and 6s Plus in the other hand is exactly what the iPhone 6 should have been to begin with... A much better CPU AND GPU to go with more RAM and much better features. The iPhone 6 should have had a 12mp shooter to begin with...

Point being coming from a 5s the iPhone 6 is a disappointment, but the 6s is not

Edit: I replied to the wrong post, but still my point was made...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    Definitely get the 6s. In two years the gimped up 6 will feel like a dinosaur. In all seriousness

22. bufffilm, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Get the 6s...then upgrade in 2 years to the 7s if it is a good one. (The 6s packs plenty of power and will be usable even when the 7s comes out.) Forget any notion about waiting for the 7 if that crossed your mind.

The 6 is not worth if even if free...especially not if you will have to keep it for 2 more years. On a side note, I know there are iPhone 6 owners out there happily using theirs, but man.....Apple really should never have released it with one 1gig of RAM. People who paid full price for the 6 were robbed/screwed/[insert your own word]. I won't even talk about the 6+.

Those who got their 6/6+ subsidized can at least get the iphone 7 in 9 more months.

23. colorfuel macrumors member

If the 6 is any indication, the 7 will not have that much of a CPU/GPU upgrade compared to the 6S.

Thats why the S is, most of the time, the better option.

Personally I hope for a 6C with the hardware of the 6S, that will keep me company for the next 4 years.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

To me it was worth it for two reasons: band 12 support for T-Mobile which has made a huge difference for me and 2GB of RAM.

25. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

2gb from 6plus to 6s plus has been game changing.

May not even care about 7 if it's a repackaged 6s because jailbroken this thing is total beast mode