Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Meh. I don't see the excitement as this further separates Apple from gaining new users since the compatibility with the rest of the products available on the market is furtherer removed and these precessor don't help anything other than Apple. Intel did similar with an OS specially designed for Intel processors "Clear OS" and it was similarly remarkable but didn't support most graphic hardware, so lost interest by a huge user base. It also basically looks like anyone that recently purchased an Apple anything wasted their money yet again.

Apple isn't going to kill macOS support on Intel right away. If they're to be believed, there's another year or two of product updates as they switch over, followed by a minimum of 3 years (to allow AppleCare+ to run out) and probably at least a year or two more of OS support. I wouldn't really call anyone who buys an Intel now "wasting money", especially if their old device is actively dying.

That said, if your workflow doesn't absolutely need Intel (e.g. no Bootcamp or virtualization) and you can wait another year or so, I'd seriously consider waiting simply because the performance improvement is going to be significant.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
That M1 is amazing!!! Apple still years ahead of the game!

More so, it highlights how monopolies lead to market stagnation.

It’s almost cringe worthy to look back at the measly 10-15% gains YOY in cpu performance from Intel during 2013-2018. Now it’s, “Wow, looks at these 30-50%+ gains by Apple and AMD.” I’m glad custom silicon and ARM is coming to fruition.

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
New era for Apple Silicon based Macbooks,iMAC,MAC pro and possibly infiltrating into cloud computing data center offering high performance at way lower power consumption has started. Next year we will be talking 2021 Mx based performance shattering MACs. Future for M looks bright.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Watch my 2020 MBP connect to an eGPU and obliterate the M1 while connected to my Nikon, SSD and two external monitors at the same time like an actual professional device.

Awww.... too soon? Maybe they’ll get it right with the M2.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Watch my 2020 MBP connect to an eGPU and obliterate the M1 while connected to my Nikon, SSD and two external monitors at the same time like an actual professional device.

Awww.... too soon? Maybe they’ll get it right with the M2.
How did you connect all of that to your 2020 13” low end MacBook Pro? Oh right- you didn’t. You’re talking about a different computer that has yet to be updated to the new chips. Good one.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
How did you connect all of that to your 2020 13” low end MacBook Pro? Oh right- you didn’t. You’re talking about a different computer that has yet to be updated to the new chips. Good one.
h8ers gonna h8

we all know he's not an actual professional... actual professionals use at least four external monitors, RAID drives, and Canon cameras

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
According to Anandtech, it is a 25 watt processor.
It appears according to Anandtech the M1 GPU uses less then 18 watts. Still pretty impressive seeing the M1 GPU process H265 4K video using less then 8 watts.

From Anandtech:
Finally, on the part of the GPU, we’re seeing a lower power consumption figure of 17.3W in GFXBench Aztec High. This would contain a larger amount of DRAM power, so the power consumption of Apple’s GPU is definitely extremely low-power, and far less than the peak power that the CPUs can draw.

Reactions: NetMage

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014

Apple's first M1 Macs have defied expectations and are more powerful than anyone expected, handily beating out many other Intel Macs that Apple is continuing to sell. We've seen endless speed tests, but we thought we'd pit the M1 13-inch MacBook Pro against the model that it's replacing, the 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro with 1.4GHz quad-core Core i5 processor, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645, and 8GB RAM.

The prior-generation MacBook Pro was just released in May 2020, but it's already outdated and far inferior to Apple's new M1 model, as our extensive speed testing will demonstrate.

Geekbench Scores

The M1 MacBook Pro, which is the base model with 8GB storage, an M1 chip with 8-core CPU and GPU, and a 256GB SSD, earned a single-core Geekbench score of 1722 and a multi-core score of 7535.

Comparatively, our Intel MacBook Pro earned a single-core score of 871 and a multi-core score of 3786, so performance is close to double here. OpenCL scores also demonstrated a stark difference with the M1 earning a score of 19305 and the Intel chip earning a score of 6962.

SSD Speeds

There's a faster SSD in the M1 MacBook Pro and in our testing, we saw read speeds of 2800MB/s and write speeds of 2300MB/s. With the SSD in the Intel MacBook Pro, we saw read speeds of 1600MB/s and write speeds of 1100MB/s. Apple says the SSD can reach sequential read speeds of up to 3.3GB/s thanks to the new SSD controller integrated in the M1 chip.

File Transfers

When transferring a 40GB+ file, the M1 completed the task in 27 seconds while it took the Intel Mac 90 seconds. Transfer speeds started out the same, but it didn't take long for the Intel Mac to fall behind.

4K Video Export

Exporting a 10 minute 4K video from Final Cut Pro took the M1 MacBook Pro 4 minutes and 53 seconds and it took the Intel MacBook Pro 6 minutes and 47 seconds. In addition to the faster transfer speeds on the M1 Mac, the fans never came on at all, while the Intel Mac's fans were roaring.

Starting Up and Shutting Down

The M1 MacBook Pro starts up noticeably faster thanks to the new Instant Wake feature that gets it going right when you open the lid. Shutting down was also faster.

Tab Test

We opened up a dozen YouTube tabs in Safari on both Macs and the CPU load was much lower on the M1 Mac. The M1 Mac was able to play every video without issue and the fans never even kicked on, but the Intel Mac struggled and the fans were on max speed.

App Test

We opened every app in the Applications folder on both Macs, which was approximately 50 apps. The M1 excelled, while the Intel Mac lagged behind and had trouble opening everything up. It took a lot longer to open all of the apps on the Intel version, especially Final Cut Pro.

Opening up Mission Control with every single app open was seamless on the M1 Mac but the Intel Mac couldn't quite handle it and there was a lot of lag.

Tests with single apps were much closer. The M1 won out when opening up apps like Safari, Maps, Apple Music, and Final Cut Pro, but the Intel Mac wasn't too far off.

Conclusion

During our benchmarking and speed tests, the M1 MacBook Pro's fans never turned on once, so expect near silent operation for almost all tasks if you pick up one of the new MacBook Pro models. The MacBook Air has no fans at all, and the Mac mini performs similarly to the MacBook Pro.

In addition to speed, we've also been impressed with battery life. The MacBook Pro was used for an hour or two when we first got it and then most of the next day, and we never once had to plug it in to charge it even through all of the testing.

The M1 MacBook Pro beats out the 2020 Intel model, but it's also faster than the high-end 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro models in terms of CPU performance. If you're planning to buy a new Mac, at this point, it's probably worth holding out for a Mac with an M1 chip if you can. Apple is planning to update the entire lineup with Apple Silicon, a process that will take approximately two years.

Rumors suggest some of the next Macs to get M1 chips will include the iMac (there's a 24-inch model in the works) and the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Watch Apple's M1 MacBook Pro Obliterate 2020 Intel MacBook Pro in Speed Tests
One test that‘s also a nice quality of life one, some tweets appeared saying that connecting an external display is basically instant (barring the fact that it can only be one currently) and changing screen resolution or scaling is ultra fast, like don’t blink fast.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
It was the intel MacBook Pro model that the M1 MacBook Pro model directly replaced so it seems relevant. And it was released 7 months ago.
Yup. And, in recent history, the performance of Intel gen N+1 (or even N+3) isn’t much improved over gen N. Too much reliance on bursty TurboBoost junk and tiny iterative optimizations of specific instructions.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The things I have to remind myself. I just purchased an iPhone 12 Pro a few weeks ago. I just purchased a Macbook Pro 5 years ago (so it is still receiving OS updates, and can run X86 Windows in a VM when needed). I just purchased a Mac Mini 2 years ago, and the only issue with that is USB. So I can't warrant spending the money on either a Macbook Pro or the Mini M1.

Also, only 16GB of RAM allowed. Though, I guess without VMs, 16GB is adequate.

Reactions: flur and MacLawyer

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Quite impressive. Will be very interested in seeing the M1X or whatever they call the chip for higher-end machines. If they continue the rate of innovation they have with the A series chips this can only get better from here.

efp722

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Philly
Impressive. Wonder what I can get on the used market for my 2020 MBP 13"? I bet less than I could a few weeks ago.
I have a 2020 MBP 13” and just traded it in directly to Apple for $770 to put towards an M1 MBP. Figured that would be the easiest and most I’d get for it.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
My 2018 Intel Mac Book Pro has SSD speed better than stated in this article. Did Apple slow down the SSD for 2020?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 5.49.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 5.49.04 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

FCX

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2016
The things I have to remind myself. I just purchased an iPhone 12 Pro a few weeks ago. I just purchased a Macbook Pro 5 years ago (so it is still receiving OS updates, and can run X86 Windows in a VM when needed). I just purchased a Mac Mini 2 years ago, and the only issue with that is USB. So I can't warrant spending the money on either a Macbook Pro or the Mini M1.

Also, only 16GB of RAM allowed. Though, I guess without VMs, 16GB is adequate.
You can't think about RAM the same way with the M1 though. 16GB is gonna feel like 64GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.