Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The M1 GPU is mind blowingly unreal considering it is only 10 watts. A reviewer who was editing H265 video, that was monitoring the GPU wattage, saw the wattage hover around 7.9 watts. That is is crazy efficient and blazing fast. The Apple M1 GPU is 2.6 TFLOPS, 41 GPixel/s requiring only 10 watts or less. Imagine Apple scaling the M1 GPU to 16 cores while using less than 25 watts.
2.6 TFLOPS at 10 watts.

Let's go back to 1992.

We've come so crazy far.

warnergt

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2006
How did you connect all of that to your 2020 13” low end MacBook Pro? Oh right- you didn’t. You’re talking about a different computer that has yet to be updated to the new chips. Good one.
The low end MacBook Pros are junk. And you guys are dancing around like fairies celebrating the fact that the M1 can beat them.

How many years did it take Apple to get the Mac Pro right?
Double that and that's when you'll see Apple silicon that can compete with it.

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
All this does is show just how lazy Intel is and how they lack in innovation. If Apple can do this (who has less years experience in making processors than Intel) and apparently Intel can't (all they do is make faster fire-burning processors) then Intel sucks and should be ashamed of itself that Apple is whopping their butt like this.
Intel makes processors for other people to build machines with. Apple builds processors for Apple to build machines with. Building the whole widget, including the software, offers massive advantages here... It's what Jobs always wanted to do, he just tried to do it waaaaay too soon (like 30 years too early) but it's finally paying off.. :)

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
It's a shame the laptops didn't get slimmed down bezels. At least the silicon architecture itself is proving to be very good.
These are the first issue, where they put the new processor into the same computer. Apple has done this many times before. iFixit confirmed that is basically the same exact computer it replaces but with a different chip on a modified logic board.

And when they haven’t gone this route, instead introducing new processors into new a new design, BAD things have happened.

Rev 2 chips will go into new designs. 14” for example.

Reactions: Coolkiwi

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I bought the new M1 MBP, but cancelled the order and bought a 16" one with good specs. I just use so many of the adobe apps, drivers and such, that I don't completely trust Rosetta 2 yet!
Good call. If you need a mac for professional work, the 16” is still the best bet for a while. It’s louder and uses more power but it also has better graphics and I’m assuming you aren’t going off charger for hours using adobe apps.

Reactions: richinaus

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The low end MacBook Pros are junk. And you guys are dancing around like fairies celebrating the fact that the M1 can beat them.

13" MacBook Pro M1 + 8 GB, vs 2019 Mac Pro 12-core Xeon + 192 GB + upgraded GPU, in Final Cut.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.41.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.42.07 PM.png

TheKDub

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
Man, I bought a 2020 i7 13” MBP literally a few weeks before the Apple Silicon was announced back in April/May (forget exact date). It was to upgrade my 2013 13” MBP
which lasted me a wonderful 7 years.

Serious question, what should I do? Trade it in ASAP or try to ride it out for a few years? I’m looking for longevity here and tend to hold into my laptops for 5-7 years but my 2020 i7 doesn’t look like it’ll last more than 2 at this rate. To be honest, I don’t game as much as I used to so it’s mostly for some Blizzard games like Starcraft 2 and surfing the net and word/excel work. Maybe wait for the 14” refresh??

Last edited:

Frank Philips

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2020
Kyoto, Japan
Exporting a 10 minute 4K video from Final Cut Pro took the M1 MacBook Pro 4 minutes and 53 seconds and it took the Intel MacBook Pro 6 minutes and 47 seconds. In addition to the faster transfer speeds on the M1 Mac, the fans never came on at all, while the Intel Mac's fans were roaring.

Nice, but would be even nicer if you guys gave more info about the file and export settings.
eg: what was the source (footage from a camera, something from the web, ALL-I or IPB, interlaced or progressive)? What were the options for the transcoding? etc.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Man, I bought a 2020 i7 13” MBP literally a few weeks before the Apple Silicon was announced back in April/May (forget exact date). It was to upgrade my 2013 13” MBP
which lasted me a wonderful 7 years.

Serious question, what should I do? Trade it in ASAP or try to ride it out for a few years? I’m looking for longevity here and tend to hold into my laptops for 5-7 years but my 2020 i7 doesn’t look like it’ll last more than 2. To be honest, I don’t game as much as I used to so it’s mostly for some Blizzard games like Starcraft 2 and surfing the net and word/excel work.
My advice now and for the past few months has been to trade it in. 2013 MBP is a solid machine, similar to the 2015 one I currently use daily except, strangely, with a better keyboard.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
The last time I saw this stark a change was when I went from my Centris 660AV to a G3 266... yeah, I'm gettin' on... This is bonkers and super exciting. I haven't read much of this thread yet, but I'm guessing we're slowly starting filter out the "wha, wha, wait to see real world usage, blah, blah" Intellitards...

My 2019 MBP 16" has a lonesome look in its eye right now. C'mon Apple, when do we get the 16" M1? :)

(I suppose we have yet to see the kind of rev1 madness that might ensue. But I don't feel too concerned, since they've been making and running these processors for a long time now, just in a different package.)

Reactions: Apple Fritter

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
The market will still be relatively strong because of Bootcamp. This is a big drawback for those that dual boot.
Apple's trade-in quote for my machine in Canada is still $2k. That will make an M1 upgrade pretty painless, so long as it doesn't come too far down the road (and they don't knock that trade-in price way down on release).

PlainBelliedSneetch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Future news: Today, Intel released what was previously slated to be their 15th generation core processors so their flagship products would stop getting completely rekt by a low-end MacBook Air.

I wonder if the Intel CEO has stopped throwing up yet.
He is out getting drunk with that guy from Qualcomm who said a 64-bit cpu is a marketing gimmick.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
These M1 Macs are obviously great. The issue is app compatibility, especially if you're used to running Boot Camp over the years. I like having the option of doing that.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
These are the first issue, where they put the new processor into the same computer. Apple has done this many times before. iFixit confirmed that is basically the same exact computer it replaces but with a different chip on a modified logic board.

And when they haven’t gone this route, instead introducing new processors into new a new design, BAD things have happened.

Rev 2 chips will go into new designs. 14” for example.
I think Apple will stick with the same designs on iMacs at the beginning of the year and come out with another revision that is the new design sooner than expected later in the year. They wont do much more than speed bump to the low end either until 2022 when they can get a redesign. I think these low power chips will power a screen keyboard someday. Or OLED screens or a screen on the trackpad. I would expect if they go this route that they will make deals with some companies ahead of time to create that new thing they will add to their devices so they stand out. At this point the people will be happy enough getting the speed they can save money selling the old design for say $100 less now and then a year later jacking it up by $200 with a redesign.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think Apple will stick with the same designs on iMacs at the beginning of the year and come out with another revision that is the new design sooner than expected later in the year. They wont do much more than speed bump to the low end either until 2022 when they can get a redesign. I think these low power chips will power a screen keyboard someday. Or OLED screens or a screen on the trackpad. I would expect if they go this route that they will make deals with some companies ahead of time to create that new thing they will add to their devices so they stand out. At this point the people will be happy enough getting the speed they can save money selling the old design for say $100 less now and then a year later jacking it up by $200 with a redesign.
I'll be surprised if the iMacs are the same old design. I expect an all new iMac in early to mid 2021.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Agreed. The SSD performance is a big factor, but at the end of the day, the "whole widget" is just better, and the fact that the M1 CPU was able to blow the Intel CPU away _without getting hot_ is very notable.
There’s some gain from SSD speed increase, but the telling things are encoding speed, fan not going off, and battery life.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Good call. If you need a mac for professional work, the 16” is still the best bet for a while. It’s louder and uses more power but it also has better graphics and I’m assuming you aren’t going off charger for hours using adobe apps.

This. If you are using these machines for professional work I personally would hold off, unless you purely use Apple apps.

Just got a replacement top spec 16"MBP today after many issues with my previous one. I will be all in AS when Adobe and many other apps I use are fully stable and native.

I had a look at the new M1's today in store and really could see the speed, however they are still the Air and low end MBP. I cannot wait for the new models in 2021 !! its going to be amazing.

Reactions: Coolkiwi

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Nothing against this test, but I'd attribute a lot of these performance improvements to the faster SSD. The video export was a little faster - no doubt CPU. Thermal, better, no doubt. But when you double the SSD i/o, this is what I'd expect to see.

Kind of funny...

I remember last year remarking about the speed of Apple's custom SSDs and how fast they were compared to others.

And then getting slagged by many about SSD speed not being that important at this point.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

The next 2 years will be interesting. A more powerful M series CPU/GPU for the high-end MacBook Pros and Mac Mini computers, desktop class CPU/GPU for iMac and Mac Pro. Apple probably already has protypes for all the remaining CPU/GPUs to complete out the ARM transition being tested.

Apple has stated that the ARM transition will take 2 years to complete which means in 2 years Apple will have a ARM CPU/GPU for the Mac Pro completed and in the hands of the consumer. Tell you what, let’s revisit what you posted here and see if you are right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.