Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's embargo has lifted on reviews for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max ahead of the devices launching on Friday. In addition to our more detailed review roundups, we've gathered a handful of unboxing videos and reviews of the devices below. There are also unboxing videos for Apple's upcoming MagSafe Duo Charger and Leather Sleeve accessories.

iphone-12-pro-max-vs-mini.jpg
Image: Andru Edwards

The first thing that comes to mind with these devices is size. Despite having a 5.4-inch display, the iPhone 12 mini is smaller than the 4.7-inch iPhone 8, as the latter device has thicker bezels and a Home button. By contrast, the iPhone 12 Pro Max is the largest iPhone ever, sporting a massive 6.7-inch display.

Key features of both devices include a new flat-edge design, 5G connectivity, a faster A14 Bionic chip, a new MagSafe system with easy-to-attach magnetic accessories, improved durability, and camera upgrades. The camera improvements go much further on the iPhone 12 Pro Max, which features a telephoto lens with a larger ƒ/2.2 aperture, sensor-shift optical image stabilization, and a LiDAR Scanner for improved low-light photography.

Videos

Article Link: Watch: iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12 Pro Max, MagSafe Duo Charger, and Leather Sleeve Unboxing Videos and Reviews

Last edited:

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
It's a cool expensive phone. Will big screen matter when it comes to durability? Can't wait for these drop tests to find out.

vmistery

Contributor
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I've ordered a mini with the anticipation that I will probably end up upgrading next year to the 13 pro and keeping the 12 mini as a backup.

Reactions: zachz

chasers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
and he’s the only one saying that, verge says it’s a good improvement. Makes me wonder what he’s seeing
iJustine said based on the stabilization alone she made the right choice of ordering the Pro Max. the cameras on the 12 line up are decent. i guess it’s going to narrow down on size preference and battery life. i’m extremely content with my 12 Pro performance all around and the size is perfect.

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
Coming from 11 Pro Max to 12 Pro Max preordered, I’m seriously bummed after MKHB’s review. I hope it’s not too much hassle to return the phone on on the iPhone upgrade program if I don’t think it’s worth the upgrade.

Drogba11

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2018
and he’s the only one saying that, verge says it’s a good improvement. Makes me wonder what he’s seeing

he flat out said “is it worth upgrading from the 12 Pro?.....No” quite surprising to hear him be that blunt but appreciate his honesty, it’s a lot of money.

Reactions: chasers

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
he flat out said “is it worth upgrading from the 12 Pro?.....No” quite surprising to hear him be that blunt but appreciate his honesty, it’s a lot of money.

He also favours the 12 for the best value which maybe it is for the price...still pro max will get you better battery life for sure

chasers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Coming from 11 Pro Max to 12 Pro Max preordered, I’m seriously bummed after MKHB’s review. I hope it’s not too much hassle to return the phone on on the iPhone upgrade program if I don’t think it’s worth the upgrade.
it shouldn’t be hard to return it. they’ll continue the current loan and give you the 11PM. coming from the 11PM to the 12 Pro i do see a difference in the processor, camera, and modem performances. battery i can tell a difference. as a heavy user with the 11PM i went a day and half before charging my phone. with the 12 Pro i charge it once a day. not a bad trade off downgrading from the PM to the Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.