Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
So everyday for the past week, I put on my watch after a nice charge and unlock it as soon as it's on my wrist. A few hours later it likes to lock again, despite it still being on my wrist. So far it happens once a day. It's not a big deal but it does stop me from getting notifications until I notice the lock symbol up above. Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: It's a like a tattoogate symptom but I don't have any tattoos. I only have a few hairs on my wrist.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Are you wearing it too loose? I like to wear my link bracelet one finger loose and just about the only time it locks up is if I shake my hand violently (during running, etc.). Otherwise, I don't have it lock up on me over the normal course of the day (including during activities like washing the dishes).

RobertNYC

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
NYC
So everyday for the past week, I put on my watch after a nice charge and unlock it as soon as it's on my wrist. A few hours later it likes to lock again, despite it still being on my wrist. So far it happens once a day. It's not a big deal but it does stop me from getting notifications until I notice the lock symbol up above. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have not experienced this, however, I took the :apple:Watch basic workshop last night and a woman in the workshop had the same issues, except it was multiple times an hour. The trainer seemed perplexed until the woman took off the watch and had a tattoo that the watch covered when on.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Are you wearing it too loose? I like to wear my link bracelet one finger loose and just about the only time it locks up is if I shake my hand violently (during running, etc.). Otherwise, I don't have it lock up on me over the normal course of the day (including during activities like washing the dishes).

It's on tight. I can barely stick my pinky through it. It doesn't like to slide around much so it's definitely not tightness issue. Also this bug surfaced just recently, and I've been wearing it with the same tightness since I got it in Wave 1.:confused:

----------

I have not experienced this, however, I took the :apple:Watch basic workshop last night and a woman in the workshop had the same issues, except it was multiple times an hour. The trainer seemed perplexed until the woman took off the watch and had a tattoo that the watch covered when on.
I should've mentioned in the OP that I hate tattoos and don't have any.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I didn't know 1.0.1 was out already. I'll update and see if this fixes it. Update on this tomorrow. :)

I was trying to determine whether it's a bug introduced by 1.0.1. However, if it's recently surfaced I'd try to clean the back of the watch in case you have some gunk on it that's interfering with the wrist detection.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
I was trying to determine whether it's a bug introduced by 1.0.1. However, if it's recently surfaced I'd try to clean the back of the watch in case you have some gunk on it that's interfering with the wrist detection.

I just completed the update and wiped down the back of the watch. Since I'm putting it back on my wrist, if it doesn't lock out again within the next three hours, the problem may be fixed. Fingers crossed it was something that simple.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I'm actually surprised I haven't. I don't wear my watch particularly tight, so the body does lift a little on my wrist when I rest it against things. However, it doesn't come up nearly enough to detach it (thanks to that dip) and I've never experienced a random lock. Not once.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
This happened to me a couple of times while and after working out. I wear it just right, able to fit one finger snug under the strap, no tattoos. I figured it was the sweat or any residue that's on the sensor. It stops after wiping my wrist and the watch down.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Pulled a new record I got 26 hours out of the watch with 10% left over, no reserve mode.

Also it seems the problem of it locking out went away. I'm going to say the software update fixed it. Thanks guys.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Pulled a new record I got 26 hours out of the watch with 10% left over, no reserve mode.

Also it seems the problem of it locking out went away. I'm going to say the software update fixed it. Thanks guys.

I just put mine on the charger after 36 hours with 14% left.

kubulient

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2016

EDIT: It's a like a tattoogate symptom but I don't have any tattoos. I only have a few hairs on my wrist.
[doublepost=1469491865][/doublepost]Last week when removing watch from its charger, the base of the watch remained stuck to the charger. I pushed it back it and it seemed to stay, but ever since the watch locks itself while on my wrist. All the time within a minute of unlocking it. Guess those two events are related. I have worn the watch from day 1, so I know what is too loose, etc. Guidance?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
[doublepost=1469491865][/doublepost]Last week when removing watch from its charger, the base of the watch remained stuck to the charger. I pushed it back it and it seemed to stay, but ever since the watch locks itself while on my wrist. All the time within a minute of unlocking it. Guess those two events are related. I have worn the watch from day 1, so I know what is too loose, etc. Guidance?
Stop wearing it and talk to Apple about getting it repaired.

[edit] More threads related to your watch's problem:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/back-panel-of-apple-watch-keeps-falling-off.1982196/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/back-fell-out-of-apple-watch.1906205/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.