Watchmen - The movie is finally made

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by P-Worm, Feb 25, 2009.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have to admit something. I had never even heard of Watchmen before I saw the trailer at The Dark Knight. I had never read a graphic novel before in my life. The trailer sparked my interest, so I bought Watchmen and read through it. It was fantastic! Ever since I read the novel, I have been following the production of the film and all of the painstaking effort and attention to detail Zack Snyder and Co. have put into making Watchmen a film reality.

I have my tickets for the midnight show and I am extremely excited. As of this post, Watchmen has a score of 91% on Rottentomatoes (though I'm sure that will change over the next week) and some are describing it as the movie fans of the novel have been praying for since the late 80's.

Is anyone else excited for the film? Anyone else read the novel? Discuss.

P-Worm

2. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I cannot effing wait since you said 91% on rottentomatoes. That website does not give high ratings to movies i want to see. I am so looking forward to it. I read the comic book and it was one of the best if not the best graphic novels ive read. I just have one question, how will they play the big monster that destroys NYC? I heard they left it out of the movie.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Wow 91%. They usually give around 70% or less even for great movies.

4. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Well, The Dark Knight got a 94.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I can't wait to watch this movie! So excited for this one. And the reviews look good!

I didn't real the novel. I found about the movie from my friends. After I read wikipedia and watched the trailers, I was hooked.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Doesn't look that good. I'll wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray. Even then I still might not see it.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I've seen the first 20 and change minutes in addition to the clips that have gone around the net, and it looks astounding. I don't think I've ever seen a movie stick so closely to the book.

When I heard this was finally going forward, I was sure they wouldn't stick with the alternative 1980s Nixon thing. I had no idea how they'd get that across to an audience. Believe it or not, opening montage, and it actually works. It really communicates the premise, not only that this is an alternate history with "costumed heroes," but that it's alternate specifically because of the presence of heroes, which actually takes some time to really sink in in the book as I recall.

The opening scenes are really Rorschach-heavy, of course, so there's a natural bias there. He's just going to steal the movie, no two ways about it.

For the ending, I don't know what they've actually done, but I do understand the change. In the late 80s, that particular idea functioned well enough as a mind-bogglingly complicated scheme that would only make sense to an insane genius. Today it would be an almost insultingly corny caricature of a 9/11 conspiracy theory. I will miss the "faithful" ending, but under the circumstances I can let it go.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I really really really really really really really really really
    really really really really really really really really really
    really really really really really really really really really want
    to watch this film.

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Ditto on that.I always wanted to read the novel but never got around to it.

Who is directing the movie?

There looks to be some very good quality CG also,going on what was in the trailer that is.In fact the final work could be much better,seeing as they are often still rendering and compositing close to release dates.

10. Wiska macrumors member

Watchmen looks dumb, honestly. Please don't kill me. After the hardcore fans see it, it will bomb the following week with the general audience.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Zack Snyder

Now why would we want to be so extreme? It is only a movie after all. ;)

Oh, I don't know. Cult hits are unpredictable.

12. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I agree that the ending was a good change. Like I said, I read the novel for the first time only months ago and when I turned the page to get the visual of the 'master plan' all I could think to myself was, "Are you serious?" If there were only two things I would change from the book, it would be changing the ending and removing The Black Freighter comic-in-a-comic. Happily for me, both are gone for the theatrical release (though The Black Freighter will be on the DVD).

Pick up the novel. Due to it being a comic book, you can finish the thing in a day or two. However, there will be a lot on your mind while you read it. Watchmen is definitely better chewed than swallowed whole. :D

Did you watch the second trailer, or just the first one? I could see how one would think the movie looks dumb, but there is a lot more to Watchmen than the first trailer would suggest - the second trailer talks more about the plot. For one thing, it isn't an action packed adventure like all other comic book movies. Watchmen goes deep into very relative topics like fascist governments, the role of vigilantes, the world economy, and even erectile disfunction.

P-Worm

P.S. Currently at 92% now.
    Watchmen on Rottentomatoes

13. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well all the hardcore fans will see it, but I'm not one of those people. It just happens to look really good, reviews have been good, and those 2 things usually entice me to spend money to watch a film at the cinema. ;)

15. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I am SO excited for Watchmen! The book was spectacular, and every time I see one of the trailers I get all excited again. Unfortunately next Friday, when it comes out, is the last day of finals for us, and that evening I'm going down to Florida with my school's crew team for spring training so I may not get to see it until the 15th or so of March! That bums me out so much.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

I just recently read the graphic novel no too long ago. It was my first comic book and I was quite impressed. One thing being that there is a duel meaning/situation on every page. Can't wait to see the movie. :)

17. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

That Watchmen/Peanuts picture is awesome.

P-Worm

P.S. A few bad reviews came in. Currently at 83%.

18. Leto-Parallels macrumors member

Leto-Parallels

I read the graphic novel, loved it, can't wait to see the movie - especially after hearing that they stuck closely to the book. There are a lot of people (including the writer, who is understandably critical on film adaptations) who've said they strongly believe that a faithful film adaptation would be technically impossible to achieve (especially considering the complex symbolism at play).

I personally think CG fixes solves that dilemma, but only when you have a crew who knows how to use it. Hopefully they got as creative with their film making as the author/illustrators did with the novel.

I can even maybe understand them changing the very end... but if any of you say how they changed it, I'll hunt you down. Hopefully it's something equally effective without the potential cheese-factor the original might conjure with today's audience.

... I mean, hopefully they didn't throw in a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man with a nuke strapped to his chest, with the explanation "LOL I love Ghostbusterz & knew I cud make Watchmen-ending bettur! Peace!" **fade to black - roll credits**

19. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I love this idea.

P-Worm

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Looking forward to seeing this.

I too had never heard of it before the promo for this film started. Every review I've read so far gives it 4 stars. It looks excellent and I love the idea of a super hero film without the family friendly feel good factor crap. Hardcore baby, yeah! :p

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm interested in this film, but the 2 papers I read didn't give it favourable reviews. One even called it a turkey.

22. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Saw it on Wednesday. Certainly is a visual feast and very faithful to the book until the end (you'll see....).

However, I must say that having read the book, none of the depth of characters really emerged in the movie. And one of the most powerful scenes in the book (you'll know it when you see it) is woefully weak in the movie.

Those who haven't read the book will like the film. Those who have will be nit picking by the time the credits roll.....

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Saw a screener of the film, its pretty amazing, but you can tell it took two decades and three production studios to make, i'd say 4.5/5 :)

24. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was good, but not great. I loved the graphic novel, didn't like the changed movie ending, but overall It was fine.

I felt the casting of the characters was dead-on.