Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Sounds dumb, but I wonder if (assume?) this will work with the middle finger and thumb, for some reason I find that much more comfortable

seanmcbay

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
The AWUltra looks so cool....on other people. I can't imagine wearing that behemoth. I also like to sleep with my watch on and I've heard it's a bit uncomfortable due to it's size and weight.
Seriously. It looks ridiculous unless you’re a really large person.

Reactions: xpxp2002

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
That's a long wait to just move a feature that has already existed for years under Accessibility to a different menu.
It's all about recycling hardware and software. Selling you the same products over and over again.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Typical apple BS. They did this with screen mirroring in the Intel days, they said only the new Intel Core CPUs could handle the screen mirroring so only the new models got it. I hack came out a short time later that enabled it on older systems and the mirroring worked fine. I doubt the code required to detect two fingers touching is not anything special and the Ultra gen 1 is more than enough to do it. I wish they would just be honest rather than act like they're smarter than their customers.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
So many haters, so little time. Apple gave everyone plenty of notice when it would be released, and the buyers chose to buy anyway. Just respect their decision. The rest of the opinions are just that, opinions.

Also, no, the accessibility feature isn’t the same. It’s not nearly as reliable either. Yes, it probably does take a more advanced neural engine to literally measure minute changes in blood flow and the accelerometer to predict the associated finger movements. Sorry tech isn’t easy. Sorry if that burst your insane bubble of belief that features should automatically work on any watch.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
I've been wearing it for almost a year, sleep with it every night & have no issue with it!

I've always been curious when people charge their watches if they sleep with them on all night? I could see myself getting a 2nd aluminum AW just for sleeping, but I wear my watch 15-16 hours/day and charge while I sleep.

Reactions: jhwalker

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Apple gave everyone plenty of notice when it would be released, and the buyers chose to buy anyway. Just respect their decision. The rest of the opinions are just that, opinions.

Pretty sure that's all we have with your post, too. Just sayin'

I don't blame people for thinking it odd that what is basically THE premier change for the AWU2 isn't available for at least a month after the launch. Most of the world has said that there's really no reason to upgrade to the AWU2. It's like Apple is saying, "We agree!"

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
So many haters, so little time. Apple gave everyone plenty of notice when it would be released, and the buyers chose to buy anyway. Just respect their decision. The rest of the opinions are just that, opinions.

Also, no, the accessibility feature isn’t the same. It’s not nearly as reliable either. Yes, it probably does take a more advanced neural engine to literally measure minute changes in blood flow and the accelerometer to predict the associated finger movements. Sorry tech isn’t easy. Sorry if that burst your insane bubble of belief that features should automatically work on any watch.
But the “Neural Engine” in the Series 8 is smart enough to figure out if you are in a car crash. What is the point to a neural engine if it can’t learn anything new and has to be specially built to support a software feature?

The Series 4 can do the assistive double pinch fine. Its reliability seems to depend on you knowing when you can use it (while the popup is being displayed) and dismissing timers doesn’t seem to work at all but is probably just a bug considering notifications can be dismissed reliably.

The fact that this feature isn’t even shipping day 1 tells me this feature was thrown in last minute in order to have something to demonstrate in their presentations. A faster processor, brighter screen, and on-device Siri processing doesn’t make for an exciting Apple Watch demo.

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
It's working on my original Ultra watch. Not terribly reliable. (I've been running the beta.) It's really cool. Can't wait for it to settle down and work perfectly.

leicaman

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Carlsbad, CA
Will this fix the battery drain? My series 4 losing 6-7% per hour of doing nothing with watchOS 10 released version!!
The OS is generally causing this. They said the battery issue is expected and should settle down in the next few weeks as your phone calibrates.

corinthos

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2018
why can't you use the same tap feature on Ultra Watch 1? is there some new hardware in Ultra Watch 2 that enables it or is this is software limiting it?

Line_Noise

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Comparing how the existing accessibility feature works to what's been shown in the presentation I wonder whether part of the delay is a need for the Apple Watch apps to implement places where this can trigger.

There's things in there that you definitely can not do with existing motor accessibly quick actions, even if the obvious big ticket items like answering calls are covered.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
I've always been curious when people charge their watches if they sleep with them on all night? I could see myself getting a 2nd aluminum AW just for sleeping, but I wear my watch 15-16 hours/day and charge while I sleep.
The Ultra makes it a lot easier as you can go well over 24 hrs without charging, so I just fit it in whenever. Usually while I’m at my desk working for a while.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68010
Sep 18, 2018
Not the same thing - this supposedly uses less power and is more precise. But it's similar, yeah, and you can enable it on previous Watches too.
Let’s get this straight once and for all:

Since WatchOS 8.1, or 8.4, there has been two finger/hand tapping features in Accessibility, Quick Actions and Assistive Touch.

Quick Actions resembles most closely the “new” Double Tap gestures that the SiP 9 watches are getting. Nearly anything you saw Apple demonstrate in the S9 presentation can be done with Quick Actions on S4-S8 watches using Quick Actions. The UI is just less polished. But it still seems to work no better or worse than the new Double Tap gestures. I’ve watched live demonstrations and I cannot figure out how it’s supposed to be different besides the new, tweaked UI Apple has given it. (*You are welcome to point out the differences to me if you can do so without just repeating Apple’s abstract marketing jargon.)

Assistive Touch is different to Quick Actions and is far more advanced and customizable, and lets you navigate your Watch entirely with just hand and finger gestures. It’s also much more prone to erroneous interpretations of gestures as it lets you.

Assistive Touch is what you’d enable if you only have one hand.

Quick Actions is for those with two hands who just occasionally want to be able to quickly dismiss calls, end timers, etc., with one hand, using the index+thumb tapping gesture.

Anyone on a Series 8 or older should enable Quick Actions if they want to experience the Double Tap gestures that Apple are giving the SiP 9 watches in WatchOS 10.1.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
I charge mine while I’m in the shower or bath, which means I wear it over 23 hours a day (I swap wrists for sleep tracking). I don’t run out of battery

visasavo

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
The AWUltra looks so cool....on other people. I can't imagine wearing that behemoth. I also like to sleep with my watch on and I've heard it's a bit uncomfortable due to it's size and weight.
tbh it looks like crap on other people as well. they should make a 38mm version

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
The fact that they took an accessibility feature that has been apart of WatchOD for two years, and has turned it into a core feature of watch 9 blows my mind

Reactions: SantaFeNM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.