WatchOS 2 beta?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by danny3103, Jun 8, 2015.

1. danny3103 macrumors member

I know it's coming out tonight for developers but is there a way of registering it without paying the big fee? For example you can register your UDID for your phone and only pay $5 and have access to the beta

2. wepiii macrumors 6502

3. wepiii macrumors 6502

Also wondering if I update my phone to iOS 9 beta but not my watch if I will have any problems

4. danny3103 thread starter macrumors member

just can't deal with apple teasing me with all these 'amazing' new features then telling me that i've got to wait months

5. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

iOS 9 beta, watchOS 2 beta, and Xcode 7 beta are all available now on the developer website (I'm downloading them right now actually). It says that iOS 9 is required to install watchOS 2, and has some somewhat funky installation instructions.

Developers are allowed to register 100 devices for testing. By paying someone to "register your UDID" to install the beta, that developer is breaking the rules, as you're not allowed to sell them like that. I believe the developer account can even be banned.

That being said... If I recall correctly, weren't people able to install iOS 8 beta last year without having their devices registered?

6. goomba478 macrumors regular

I was hoping to find this out too. I registered to be in the BETA program but am unsure when we'll have access to it. I would eventually like to develop apps so maybe I should just register as a developer?

7. matthijst, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015

matthijst macrumors regular

Seems like you just need to install a generic provisioning profile to update to beta 2

8. mixstar336 macrumors regular

It is available now...from the developer site:

watchOS 2 beta Configuration Profile
    To install the latest version of watchOS 2 beta on an Apple Watch, download the watchOS 2 beta Configuration Profile, iOS 9 SDK, and iOS 9 beta. Make sure to install iOS 9 beta on your iPhone before updating towatchOS 2.0.

9. Abba 701 macrumors regular

10. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Anyone try opening the profile without updating to iOS9 beta first?

11. newtestleper macrumors 6502

You might want to delete your post before an admin does.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Funny how when it comes to an actual software update people hesitate but a beta? omg I need it now! :p

13. Abba 701 macrumors regular

Because you can downgrade back to the current version legally.

14. wanderfowl macrumors member

wanderfowl

I wouldn't be surprised if it was included with the iOS 9 Public Beta. And, with a bit more snark, this keynote reinforced the understanding that we're all running a watchOS public beta *right now*.

15. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

They can and do get banned for it. It's currently for developers, don't install it unless you are a dev. First round betas are always very buggy.

If you aren't registered your device won't boot. Same thing goes for when it expires. I am a registered dev and had to reset one of my test devices a few months ago. Once the beta expires thats it, the device is useless without a restore.

16. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity could someone post the instructions on how the beta is installed? I've been wondering how it would be done since the Watch isn't managed through iTunes.

17. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

You send the Provisioning Profile to yourself through email or download it on your iPhone running iOS 9 beta 1. Then, you open the profile and install it to your phone.

18. matthijst macrumors regular

On your phone, or on your watch?
    Because it gives you the option to install the profile on your watch.

Curious as well if you can still restore the watch to OS 1 if you want to.

19. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the watch, the only way I've read to do it is send it to your phone and open it on there.

I'm working on getting the beta installed on all of my devices right now, so if I mess up with my watch I can let you know

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Hope Apple makes it available to AppleSeed testers.

21. matthijst macrumors regular

:D

OK, thanks.
    Curious if you need to registered you watch' udid as well before updating, or if you can just update iPhone to iOS9, then send the provisioning profile to the watch and then update the watch...

Nearest Apple Store is in another country, so I'd rather be safe then sorry :)

22. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I only did the Yosemite public beta because everything was shiny and new and looked different, but I don't think I'll be in such a rush with El Capitan. I'll probably do the iOS 9 beta purely because that's less of a headache to run smoothly.

23. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I don't have a Mac available to open Xcode and get my UDID for my watch, so if I mess up - oops

24. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Alright, finished. Everything went well and I didn't need to register my Watch's UDID. You just download it onto your registered iPhone and install it from there

Photo 1: "Select a device - In which device do you want to install this profile?"

Then you select Apple Watch and it'll open the screen in the second photo and you install it from there. Your watch will restart and that'll be it.

(I think I did it right anyways)

Foto 8-6-15 5 10 40 PM.png Foto 8-6-15 5 10 26 PM.png

25. Alonso Quijano macrumors 6502

Oops I made a mistake - after you install the profile you have to go into the Apple Watch application and update the software

Looks like I'll need to wait and get my UDID registered :-(

Archivo 8-6-15 5 26 09 PM.png