WatchOS 2 beta?

danny3103

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I know it's coming out tonight for developers but is there a way of registering it without paying the big fee? For example you can register your UDID for your phone and only pay $5 and have access to the beta

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2011
I know it's coming out tonight for developers but is there a way of registering it without paying the big fee? For example you can register your UDID for your phone and only pay $5 and have access to the beta
iOS 9 beta, watchOS 2 beta, and Xcode 7 beta are all available now on the developer website (I'm downloading them right now actually). It says that iOS 9 is required to install watchOS 2, and has some somewhat funky installation instructions.

Developers are allowed to register 100 devices for testing. By paying someone to "register your UDID" to install the beta, that developer is breaking the rules, as you're not allowed to sell them like that. I believe the developer account can even be banned.

That being said... If I recall correctly, weren't people able to install iOS 8 beta last year without having their devices registered?

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
I was hoping to find this out too. I registered to be in the BETA program but am unsure when we'll have access to it. I would eventually like to develop apps so maybe I should just register as a developer?

matthijst

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Seems like you just need to install a generic provisioning profile to update to beta 2

Last edited:

mixstar336

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
MN
It is available now...from the developer site:

watchOS 2 beta Configuration Profile
To install the latest version of watchOS 2 beta on an Apple Watch, download the watchOS 2 beta Configuration Profile, iOS 9 SDK, and iOS 9 beta. Make sure to install iOS 9 beta on your iPhone before updating towatchOS 2.0.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
iOS 9 beta, watchOS 2 beta, and Xcode 7 beta are all available now on the developer website (I'm downloading them right now actually). It says that iOS 9 is required to install watchOS 2, and has some somewhat funky installation instructions.

Developers are allowed to register 100 devices for testing. By paying someone to "register your UDID" to install the beta, that developer is breaking the rules, as you're not allowed to sell them like that. I believe the developer account can even be banned.

That being said... If I recall correctly, weren't people able to install iOS 8 beta last year without having their devices registered?
They can and do get banned for it. It's currently for developers, don't install it unless you are a dev. First round betas are always very buggy.

If you aren't registered your device won't boot. Same thing goes for when it expires. I am a registered dev and had to reset one of my test devices a few months ago. Once the beta expires thats it, the device is useless without a restore.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Out of curiosity could someone post the instructions on how the beta is installed? I've been wondering how it would be done since the Watch isn't managed through iTunes.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Out of curiosity could someone post the instructions on how the beta is installed? I've been wondering how it would be done since the Watch isn't managed through iTunes.
You send the Provisioning Profile to yourself through email or download it on your iPhone running iOS 9 beta 1. Then, you open the profile and install it to your phone.

matthijst

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
You send the Provisioning Profile to yourself through email or download it on your iPhone running iOS 9 beta 1. Then, you open the profile and install it to your phone.
On your phone, or on your watch?
Because it gives you the option to install the profile on your watch.

Curious as well if you can still restore the watch to OS 1 if you want to.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
On your phone, or on your watch?
Because it gives you the option to install the profile on your watch.

Curious as well if you can still restore the watch to OS 1 if you want to.
I'm not sure about the watch, the only way I've read to do it is send it to your phone and open it on there.

I'm working on getting the beta installed on all of my devices right now, so if I mess up with my watch I can let you know

matthijst

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I'm not sure about the watch, the only way I've read to do it is send it to your phone and open it on there.

I'm working on getting the beta installed on all of my devices right now, so if I mess up with my watch I can let you know
:D

OK, thanks.
Curious if you need to registered you watch' udid as well before updating, or if you can just update iPhone to iOS9, then send the provisioning profile to the watch and then update the watch...

Nearest Apple Store is in another country, so I'd rather be safe then sorry :)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Funny how when it comes to an actual software update people hesitate but a beta? omg I need it now! :p
I only did the Yosemite public beta because everything was shiny and new and looked different, but I don't think I'll be in such a rush with El Capitan. I'll probably do the iOS 9 beta purely because that's less of a headache to run smoothly.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
:D

OK, thanks.
Curious if you need to registered you watch' udid as well before updating, or if you can just update iPhone to iOS9, then send the provisioning profile to the watch and then update the watch...

Nearest Apple Store is in another country, so I'd rather be safe then sorry :)
Yeah, I'm wondering this too. I don't have a Mac available to open Xcode and get my UDID for my watch, so if I mess up - oops

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Alright, finished. Everything went well and I didn't need to register my Watch's UDID. You just download it onto your registered iPhone and install it from there

Photo 1: "Select a device - In which device do you want to install this profile?"

Then you select Apple Watch and it'll open the screen in the second photo and you install it from there. Your watch will restart and that'll be it.

(I think I did it right anyways)

Foto 8-6-15 5 10 40 PM.png Foto 8-6-15 5 10 26 PM.png

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Oops I made a mistake - after you install the profile you have to go into the Apple Watch application and update the software

Looks like I'll need to wait and get my UDID registered :-(

Archivo 8-6-15 5 26 09 PM.png