watchOS 2 bricked my watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by h00ligan, Sep 21, 2015.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Connected to a stand without interruption. WatchOS 2 bricked it.

I went to the Apple Store and was told there was a three hour wait. Then after I asked why they weren't better prepared they decided to punish me by saying they wouldn't exchange it in store. The manager was very clearly trying to show his employees he was the boss.

Worst treatment ever at the Apple Store.

And another reason the Apple Watch has sucked.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They weren't trying to punish you by refusing to exchange it on the spot. Apple has chosen not to stock white box replacements for the AW across the board (unlike other iDevices to date) and most have to be sent out.

Try rebooting several times and/or unpairing and re-pairing it, as several members have run into this same issue.

3. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

You don't get special treatment just because you think you're special. There is a queue and when you walk in without an appointment, you wait in that queue just like everyone else that didn't have an appointment. You don't just get to jump in front of that queue because you think you're more important.

4. h00ligan, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I didn't expect special treatment in terms of the line or to be jumped ahead. I asked why they were so poorly prepared to deal with EVERYONE who had issues with the upgrade.

Pay attention to what's said and don't read into it just to flame people.

5. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks the issue is there's no accurate firmware it won't boot. There's no troubleshooting to be done

As for the white box replacement. I get it. Hiwever when someone's history shows they have had two exchanges due to fault and now the is upgrade bricks it. That's when I feel an exception can be made.

Which is what AppleCare said. They are supposedly sourcing s new one to change it with. I don't mind waiting typically. But I've really had so many issues with the Apple Watch I don't think it's asking s lot for them to exchange it with a new one at this point. apple care manager on the phone doesn't feel it's right to make me wait again for an exchange. Given I've already been without the watch about s month in the few months I've owned it.

That's where I would say anyone in he situation deserves a bit of special treatment.

To the other comment I think whenever a big update rips there should always be one or two genius set to deal with issues arising from that update. For at least a day or two.

6. churious macrumors newbie

Same with me. In the middle of my 3 hour wait now. Watch tries to boot but after apple logo appears it just restarts and restarts. Followed instructions for install to a T. This is a PITA.

7. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Don't seem to be that much to it as far as instructions. I put watch on charger at 50%, laid iPhone next to it, clicked on update and left. Checked a couple times and about 90 min. later it was done.

8. manincognito macrumors member

Sorry you're having bad luck with it but for some it's been great, personally its sucked for you.

9. churious, Sep 21, 2015

churious macrumors newbie

Exactly. Same here... its not rocket science. But it is flawed. Apple obviously has issues with this release... a delay and now it bricked my watch.

Currently my watch tries to boot up, gives me the apple logo and then dies.

Ive heard rumor that they can't even fix it in the stores. Im waiting for my walk in appointment at the store now. Will report back in a bit.

10. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Sorry you guys are having issues. I was able to update mine in about an hour. Out of curiosity had you guys having problems done any of the betas?

11. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Mine is stuck for the last hour or so on the update screen in the iPhone watch app stating:

Estimating time remaining. Is this a known issue or just let it do its thing?

12. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

For what it's worth this is what it looks like when it's properly bricked as I understand it.

[​IMG]

Don't touch it. Let it take all he time it needs

Apple support haven't called me back yet so I guess I'm not getting an in store exchange.

13. churious macrumors newbie

Ditto...

Attached Files:

14. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Seems like it's going to be more common than I thought. I notice you have a sgs. Couldn't be model specific though as he internals are the same. Coincidence.

Can you post back with what your resolution is?

It looks like I have to mail mine in which I personally think is bs when I live five minutes from an Apple Store.

15. evildietrich macrumors newbie

16. churious macrumors newbie

Zero betas here. Just iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 and watchOS 1.0.1 pre brick.

17. h00ligan, Sep 21, 2015

h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I never installed watch is beta either.

did pebble release the new is for the older watches yet? I have an unopened steel sitting here and a classic pebble.

They're getting approval for an advanced replacement as stock doesn't exist locally. Apparently this is a wider spread issue than anyone first anticipated or is even represented here in the forums. They're still trying to find the common denominator it seems.

18. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I didn't have problem updating mine while at work. I was connected to wifi on the iphone. both iphone and watch had 100% power and connected to usb charger. It took like an hour, but it was fine. I did not interrupt the process by not messing around with the watch or nor answering calls.
    What did you do to get this?

19. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Apple seems to have pulled the update. My girlfriends watch isn't showing anything available.

I did exactly what you said you did. Except it took over two hours and didn't finish. Restarting about the 2.5 hour mark after the phone said finished yielded the error

I don't think any of us did anything to cause this to happen.

I didn't receive any calls or texts during the time. The update just cussed lost connection with the phone. Failed and borked the watch.

A lot of other people seem to have had this issue too. Hence a pulled update

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I think that there are to many flaws with the updating of the watch simly because its first gen, it's early days and there are too many parameters that can make it fail. To update via wi-if to the phone and then to the watch is a complex procedure. Dont get me wrong, mine updated flawlessly but ideally it would be better to be able to update the watch via hard wire and itunes or via wi-if straight to the watch but the technology doesn't allow that.. I think we will have to wait until the second gen watch cones out before updating becomes easier

21. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

22. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Good. I'm sure a lot did. But it seems enough didn't to warrant pulling it.

I am just hoping the influx of replacement requests doesn't preclude me receiving mine back in a reasonable time frame.

My guess is space grey sport is going to be in high demand short,y. They already run out of that one regularly at the local shops.

23. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

24. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know about that. It's still not showing.

Maybe they're having regional routing issues.

I'll probably go post in another thread at some point. Make sure you keep track of it so you can comment there too.

25. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

This is strange. The update process went fine for me, but it did take a long time. I popped the watch on it's charger and then downloaded the update on my iPhone. It downloaded in about an hour and then took another half hour to upload the update to the watch. At the end, the watch rebooted and the phone just said "update complete" or something like that.

Sorry to hear that some are having major issues with this update. Hopefully these cases will get resolved to everyone's satisfaction.