watchOS 3 on original Apple Watch is a revelation.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WilliamG, Sep 11, 2016.

1. WilliamG, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

WilliamG macrumors G3

For those on the fence, and who haven't experienced watchOS 3 on Apple Watch 1, it makes a huge speed difference in just about everything you do. From Siri dictation to opening the dock-based apps, it's truly something special.

Don't get me wrong, - some scrolling can be a touch laggy etc, but if you're unsure about getting a Series 2, I'd definitely wait till you've experienced watchOS 3.

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Hah, I suppose that's a fair question. I mean the original Apple Watch.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Well then good to hear about SIRI speed improvement. One of my most complaint of original Watch and watchOS combo.

Btw, should edit the title, no?

5. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

Agreed, a thread title change is in order. I have been on the fence about the Series 1 and got excited about this thread lol.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You should change the title and OP to "original AW" because otherwise it's misleading.

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

WilliamG, thanks for the feedback. This is great to hear! You are always so helpful...thanks!

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I've got the current watchOS 3 beta on one of mine. It's a big improvement over 1.x and 2.x. Definitely feels faster. I'm excited to see what changes (if any) the general release tomorrow brings.

9. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Love the WatchOS3 as well. Smooth. HR works better too.

10. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I know what the majority of users on this forum will be doing tomorrow :D

Unfortunately tomorrow is a day with lots of meetings for me, so I probably won't get to load the new iOS and Watch OS until tomorrow evening. Although I could plug the devices in to let them update while I'm in meetings I suppose (since I'm an IT manager who supports and deploys iOS devices, I can justify tinkering with this stuff at work).

On the other hand maybe it's safer to wait until tomorrow evening in case there are mid-day reports of Watch OS3 users getting third degree burns on their wrists from the blazing speed! :p

11. nerdriot macrumors regular

nerdriot

Thanks for posting this! I think I've been more excited about watchOS 3 than I have been about iOS 10. After seeing a few videos about the changes (especially the new scribble response) I've been excited. It'll be nice for my old AW to have some new life breathes into it.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I'm excited to update my watched to OS3 tomorrow evening! WOOT!

I decided against getting the new watch after so many people said the OS3 really is a game changer on the original watch.

13. ipedro, Sep 12, 2016

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It really is an all new Watch. I've worn mine every single day since it was released so I've become accustomed to its quirks, specially when it comes to Siri. Hey Siri works far better at summoning in watchOS 3. I had just given up and started pressing and holding the crown instead. Now, I say Hey Siri and go right into asking what I want and it catches up pretty quickly.

The side button for the Dock seems totally like a DUH! Of course! thing in retrospect. My most used apps sit in there and they do launch instantly as advertised. It's very easy to navigate through any screen on the watch amongst apps using just the Dock button and Digital Crown. I've only had it for a day and it's already built into my muscle memory.

Swipable watch faces is a solution to the pretty but hard to use App Home Screen. I now use my Watch faces as my app launcher. They're like an iPhone's home screens. It's easier to swipe past a few faces to the one with the app you want to check on or open than it is to open the app home screen, then struggle to tap the the right one. That app home screen will probably be gone in watchOS 4.

The only real issue I've found so far is with the Home app. It's in my Dock but it opens all jittery and freezes as I'm scrolling through my devices. It doesn't matter too much. I use Siri to control my home.

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Is there battery life improvement on the 38mm with the new WatchOS?

15. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

After writing my post, I decided to push Siri through its tracks. Holy crap am I impressed!

I raise my wrist, start speaking right away. Worked every Single time. No need to repeat myself. I tried racing through and she always kept up. I put in a bunch of "uhhhhhhh's" and she ignored them and waited for me to finish. I even mumbled and she still recognized every word.

Return times are also very fast. I asked for a Jays score and it came up right after I asked. No waiting.

One tiny but important change in how you interact with Siri: there's no tap when you summon her. Once you say Hey Siri or hold the Digital Crown, she's already listening. The tap always threw me off because I instinctively waited for the tap to begin speaking and sometimes I missed the prompt. Now, the tap occurs after Siri has registered your request. You can ask your question or make your request and drop your arm. Siri will tap you when she has the info ready.

Apple is learning how to make a watchOS on the fly. To be honest, I don't think there's any other way. Real world use reveals how a smart watch can be useful, what's the best way to get around and most importantly, what role a watch does not play. It's meant for micro interactions, so instant readyness and quick feedback is critical.

This is the first time that I felt that I had a reliable computer on my wrist. Before, it was a nice complement to my iPhone but I was aware of its flaws so I didn't use it in mission critical situations. It's quickly gaining back my trust.

16. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I wouldn't expect an improvement. I would actually expect OS3 to consume more power because of docked apps updating in the background. So far the beta reports have been encouraging. It seems like most do not experience any worse, or only slightly worse, battery life. I'm not terribly worried since my 38mm AWS always has between 25-35% battery left at the end of a typical 18 hour day of wear. I wonder if it will vary depending on how many apps you keep docked, and also on the docked apps themselves (some might require more memory and/or more data to stay up to date).

It's possible the workout app might be more efficient. In the current OS a three hour run or bicycle ride will take a big bite out of your battery power. I have a feeling that's just the price to pay for keeping the HR monitor running.

Sean

17. nerdriot macrumors regular

nerdriot

Reading this made the wait until (likely) tomorrow for the release even MORE difficult lol. I can't wait.

18. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

It sounds so awesome! I can't even imagine how nice it'll be on watch series 2 :)

19. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I was going to get AW2 since I hadn't bought anything prior. Well that was up until two weeks ago when AW1 started really going on sale.

I'm on my 3rd one since then lol, started with the 38mm sport which I returned for the 42mm sport and then when I saw the 38mm SS on sale at BB for $200 off I ended up with that one.

So I already have something new and with the update tomorrow I will have something even newer! :)

20. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I was considering the ceramic Apple Watch Edition because my Watch is so well used that I can justify buying the top of the line. But given how well my original Sport is working with watchOS 3, I might just wait until next year's Series 3, hopefully with full independence from iPhone.

21. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's the same, if not slightly better than watchOS 2.

22. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

I've seen you boasting of how good the original watch is with watchOS 3 in like three threads now, haha.

It has really made that much of a difference, huh?

Pre-Ordered two Series 2s for my wife and I as our first watches - excited for them - but, missed an opportunity to grab original BB open boxes for ~$180 a few days ago, they're gone now. I couldn't decide.

23. matrix07, Sep 12, 2016

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

@ipedro appreciates your feedback, especially about SIRI which is my main concern. Sounds like I'll have a new watch even though my NIKE order still couldn't be placed. Thank you!

24. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Literally everything is better. Fitness tracking lets you see all your stats on one screen, rather than the completely stupid swipe screens it had before. Apps in your dock now launch instantly, starting fitness tracking takes about 2 seconds vs the ~15 it took before. Changing watchfaces is so much better now, and the new faces are awesome.

The only thing that needs an update now is notifications. They feel outdated compared to iOS 10. I want to be able to swipe left/right for primary/secondary actions versus scrolling to the bottom to perform an action.

25. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to hear there are serious improvements with the original hardware. Now I feel better about waiting for Series 3!