Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Now that WatchOS 2 is here, bringing many of the features that should have been there from the start, what do you want or expect with WatchOS 3?

I'd like new Apple apps, like notes, and reminders. More options for watch faces, as well as somehow allowing third party faces. What else?

Reactions: jgelin

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Consistency. I love the thing but it feels very beta sometimes. Siri should be more aware of when she is available or not. If Siri isn't available due to bandwidth, lack of bluetooth, whatever tell me rather than wasting my time. Glances are very inconsistent. Sometimes they work great, sometimes they just spin.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I am more excited about Apple Watch 2 - not sure how much more software improvements the hardware can push.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Some kind of keyboard for messaging
Let's see an implementation that isn't horribly tiny. I don't think it'll happen.

I am more excited about Apple Watch 2 - not sure how much more software improvements the hardware can push.
I've read that the S1 is roughly equivalent to an iPhone 4 (or 4S?), which still isn't bad. I've guessed that the bottleneck has been data transfer from the phone, but I was waiting longer than usual for the Workout app to get cranking this morning (to be fair, I hadn't used it since upgrading to OS2… yeah, I've been lazy… I mean, 'busy').

Speaking of a feature wish list, I'd like the option to clean up the Workout start screen by removing the workouts I never do. I've not used the elliptical, rower, stair stepper, or any of the indoor exercises since getting my AW. For now, though, at least it puts the last-used workout mode at the top -- so my complaint is pretty minor.

Reactions: shox2k2

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
It's not like there holding back all kinds of features. The combo of hardware (including battery) are was is limiting some of the features currently.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
It should be able to pair with a cadence/speed sensor and provide map info for gps workouts. Also, allow the favourites button to be customisable to something app related. If Strava could use it as a start/pause function, it would really make it excellent.

Built in Mac unlocker by proximity.

And complications on any watch face. Also, step count as a complication. If they do that, they are then seriously competing with Fitbit as a pedometer.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'd like Weather to work correctly. I'm tired of going to a new city, and then returning (e.g. going from Seattle to Redmond, and then back to Seattle), and my weather is stuck showing me the temperature of the city I visited (i.e. Redmond). So frustrating.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
It's own wifi credentialing. All complications on all watch faces (each having the ability to display nothing), including photos. The ability to control notifications beyond on or off, show text message/email but not who they are from.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
"Night mode" or "theater mode" for notifications -- or, basically, tone down everything onscreen.

I've set a Modular face with only the time in red so it's less obtrusive in case I accidentally turn it on in a movie theater. But, if a text pops in, it's quite bright.

I know, I should toggle Do Not Disturb, but we had some work changes to disseminate the other night, and unfortunately, it all happened before and during a movie.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Just like I pared down all of my iPhone apps many years ago, after the excitement of the device ran dry, I've already got the features I'd use in a watch, so I guess I'd just want performance and battery life improvements. I don't even want more faces. The paradox of choice drives me crazy.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
It's own wifi credentialing. All complications on all watch faces (each having the ability to display nothing), including photos. The ability to control notifications beyond on or off, show text message/email but not who they are from.

what do you mean by " It's own wifi credentialing "

like being able to connect to a new wifi network directly on the apple watch, including entering passwords and clicking on i agree on the watch itself? and using a tiny keyboard???

or being able to connect to a wifi network without the help of an iPhone? which can be done now because your iPhone gives all its wifi passwords to the watch and says your on your own buddy in some situations

i turned off my phone and drove to coffee society to a different wifi network and i was able to send iMessages on the watch, because my iPhone told my watch the wifi password to coffee society.

voice dictation didn't work

I'm Still messing around with trying to make calls on the watch when the phone is not on

Last edited:

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
"Night mode" or "theater mode" for notifications -- or, basically, tone down everything onscreen.

I've set a Modular face with only the time in red so it's less obtrusive in case I accidentally turn it on in a movie theater. But, if a text pops in, it's quite bright.

I know, I should toggle Do Not Disturb, but we had some work changes to disseminate the other night, and unfortunately, it all happened before and during a movie.

I turn off "Wake Screen on Wrist Raise" for occassions like this.

Reactions: Mr. Donahue

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
I think at this point I would genuinely be happy with complications on the photo/album, stability fixes and making sure Apple Pay always works. That's unlikely to be a full new version though, so I'll take that in a point release. Right now it's very difficult for me to deviate from using modular, but I really want a photo background.

If they need to find a big new feature, maybe for the full 3.0 it can brush my teeth for me :D

Reactions: JGayle007

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
A more mature activity tracker and workout app stack-- bring these two more inline with the rest of the market segment.

Reactions: MacBird

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
oh i know!!!!

airdrop

a part of the apple watch could contain stuff that people airdrop , like pictures or contact info or calendar events. , and when the watch comes in range of the iPhone it transfers the content

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
oh i know!!!!

airdrop

a part of the apple watch could contain stuff that people airdrop , like pictures or contact info or calendar events. , and when the watch comes in range of the iPhone it transfers the content

That would be slick, like a portable, wireless USB stick. It would have to be secure to avoid a fiasco like the recently-noted AirDrop vulnerability (some guy sent a pic of his dingaling to a woman on a train), but if it works, it'd be great.

I would like it to allow my AW to use the GPS data from my phone while running or walking. Seems like a small thing and wonder why Appl did I not do this to begin with.
You mean to track and map, rather than just calibrating the wearer's stride length?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That would be slick, like a portable, wireless USB stick. It would have to be secure to avoid a fiasco like the recently-noted AirDrop vulnerability (some guy sent a pic of his dingaling to a woman on a train), but if it works, it'd be great.

You mean to track and map, rather than just calibrating the wearer's stride length?
Yes the GPS could be used to track your run/walks. Spoiled with having GPS on my Fitbit devices.

Apple could do this if they wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.