watchOS 5.1.2 Will Enable ECG App on Apple Watch Series 4

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ECG functionality will be enabled on the Apple Watch Series 4 in the publicly released version of watchOS 5.1.2, which is currently in beta testing, according to an internal Apple Store training document obtained by MacRumors.

[​IMG]

watchOS 5.1.2 will feature an Apple-designed ECG app that can indicate whether your heart rhythm shows signs of atrial fibrillation, a serious form of irregular heart rhythm, or a normal sinus rhythm. Apple Watch Series 4 is capable of generating an ECG similar to a single-lead electrocardiogram, according to the FDA.

ECG and other heart data is collected in the Health app on a paired iPhone. Apple's document lists a minimum requirement of an iPhone 5s or later running iOS 12.1.1, currently in beta testing, or later.

To take an ECG reading from the Apple Watch, users will need to place a finger on the Digital Crown while wearing the watch. The reading is completed in 30 seconds, allowing users to determine whether their hearts are beating in a regular pattern or if there are signs of atrial fibrillation.

Apple's training document states that the ECG app is regulated and only available in regions cleared for use. The app will initially be limited to the United States, where Apple has received FDA clearance, but Apple Watch Series 4 models sold worldwide include the electrical heart sensor for future expansion.

Apple Store employees are instructed to advise customers that the ECG app is "not intended to be a diagnostic device or to replace traditional methods of diagnosis," and "should not be used to monitor or track disease state or change medication without first talking to a doctor," according to Apple's document.

Apple promised that the ECG app will be available later this year, but it's unclear when watchOS 5.1.2 and iOS 12.1.1 will be released. watchOS 5.1.2 has been in beta testing since November 7, while iOS 12.1.1 has been in beta testing since October 31, so both software updates should be released relatively soon.

A separate Apple training document obtained by MacRumors suggests that irregular heart rhythm notifications will also be enabled in watchOS 5.1.2 on Apple Watch Series 1 through Apple Watch Series 4 models.

The ECG app will not be available on previous-generation Apple Watch models, including the original through Series 3.

Article Link: watchOS 5.1.2 Will Enable ECG App on Apple Watch Series 4

2. AngerDanger, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Can’t wait to see which of my hearts the ECG measures.

EDIT: None of them are showing up. Not even the ****** lower-left-quadrant one. :(

ECG.jpg

3. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

hopefully this doesn't go the way of AirPower...and after thorough debugging, gets shipped.

4. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I’ve been through a health scare recently and I had an ECG taken for the first time. It will be nice to have this ability on my wrist now.

5. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Hopefully will be released in Canada as well but I doubt it will be day and date with the US.

6. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

I am pissed that this will not work with my Series 3!! I could really use this app. Apple has a way to make me spend money. I might be stubborn and not buy a Series 4 until refurbs come along.

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

8. jerryk macrumors 601

Good idea. Health is a huge market and Apple is well positioned to control the wrist real estate. But, to succeed they need to make the Watch fully function with non-Apple phones and tablets.

9. alectheking macrumors 6502a

I’m betting we get it on monday, dec 3rd. Verizon announced eSim funtionality would be enabled early december which is waiting on the iOS 12.1.1 release, so it all kinda lines up.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Why would you be pissed? It wasn't a function when you purchased it, and it wasn't promised by apple...

11. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

Am I the only one scared that my Watch will tell me I'm going to die?

12. mollyc macrumors 68000

The hardware is already in the watch, even those that people are currently wearing. It's not going in just to-be-sold watches. Anyone with a Series 4 will have this available.

13. kstotlani macrumors 6502a

So this will work in US but will it work in India where regulations on such devices are still not defined. I don’t want to change my Apple ID back to US.

14. SteveOfTheStow macrumors member

SteveOfTheStow

So they'll deliver it by the end of the year. As promised. What's the next thing people will whine about? :rolleyes:

15. L-Viz macrumors 6502

L-Viz

You are in fact going to die.

16. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

You can buy a Kardiaband for you Series 3 if you really want this feature. From late 2017 until close to the announcement of the Series 4 Apple sold them in stores but took them out for obvious reasons (Apple wasn't actually the first to bring this function OTC and they didn't want people skipping on the 4)

https://store.alivecor.com/products/kardiaband

17. Morgenland, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018

Morgenland Suspended

Morgenland

Why would Apple do something so stupid? So that data whores hand round personal health data?
    Privacy has never been an ambitious goal for Android and MS. They dance at other parties.

No wonder that in the EU Android could not reach a sufficient level for certified health care.

18. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

The ECG app is available in the United States only.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I can tell you that, for $199. Much cheaper than the Watch.

20. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

I'll do it for $50. Discounts for bulk.

21. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Awesome! Been waiting for this for my hyperkalemia!

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Finally, another tool in my hypochondria arsenal, I'm sure my doctor can't wait for all the calls asking "is this normal!!??".

23. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

but requires a subscription...

24. The Oak macrumors 6502

Okay Doctor :)

25. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

No they don't. This is very sensitive health data, and it's not Apple's job to facilitate building a doorway for a bunch of hackneyed Android devs to screw it up and cause problems. Then Apple will be blamed for Google's failure to properly secure their platform. That's to say NOTHING of insurers, who would love to "better serve you" by accessing that and deciding how quickly they want to lobby you off their roster.