Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
It’s odd they decided to kill the feature for devices that support it, where the iPhone still supports 3D Touch for models with the hardware. I can only assume they felt the watch needed more UI changes.

when I upgrade my phone I think I’ll miss 3D Touch for bringing up a cursor. Don’t think I’ll miss it in my watch however.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
I won’t miss it on Watch, but do miss it on iPhone. What is irritating on iPhone is that when I want to use long press, quite often it goes to jiggle mode. If there is a way to switch off jiggle mode so there’s no way to accidentally activate it, I’d be happy with the long press solution on iPhone

Reactions: ohio.emt

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Force touch was a favorite on my phone, and though I’ve only had my series 5 for about four months, force touch has been a favorite there too. I would just press hard on a screen to see what would happen.

Now instead of that I will have to scroll up, down, into settings, or look for a button, all depending on the app. That’s a total loss in the UX department.

I have always liked Apple products in large part because they have historically enabled more consistency across the entire product line than other tech companies—not just the walled garden but the basic approach. I assumed the removal of force touch was a move to bring phones in line with iPads, and now I’m guessing the same is true with the watch. It’s a shame because the three devices have very different input options.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Jeremy A-H

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
Surely, if you pay for an advertised feature, you should get a refund if it is then removed?

Reactions: B4U

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
The handling of the Force Touch feature has to be one of the most bungled features by Apple in recent years. Inconsistent implementation. Poor education/support for users. Beloved by some and unknown to many. And now, the final indignity of having it deactivated on devices that previously had it. What a mess.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
They really made me not want to buy this model. And I’m in the market for a new Apple watch...
- no force touch
- no major upgrades
- no redesign (same style as previous 2 cycles)
- no pure black stainless steel (?!!??)

Seriously Apple what is wrong with you guys.

Complacency I think.

Wait there’s seriously no black stainless anymore?! Good grief... ::cradles black stainless S5::

Reactions: miniyou64

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
In the long run, probably getting the masses used to not using this feature anymore so next years AW can remove the hardware needed and make room for a larger battery to get at least 24-48 hours of use without charging. In the short run, with the software engineers not having to deal with this this feature anymore probably makes for a much easier experience updating the software including the squashing of bugs and improving battery life.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
Force touch was the iPhone/Apple Watch equivalent of right-click on Mac/Windows. Where they went wrong was that they utilized it in a Windows-like way. That is, it provided extra features that were hidden unless you knew where to use it.

Right-click on Mac is very different than on Windows. It hardly ever provides new functionality, since Apple mice don't even include right-click by default. Instead, it merely provides shortcuts for features available else-where. That's how force-touch should have been implemented for both iPhone and Apple Watch.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Chompineer

Suspended
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
Force touch was the iPhone/Apple Watch equivalent of right-click on Mac/Windows. Where they went wrong was that they utilized it in a Windows-like way. That is, it provided extra features that were hidden unless you knew where to use it.

Right-click on Mac is very different than on Windows. It hardly ever provides new functionality, since Apple mice don't even include right-click by default. Instead, it merely provides shortcuts for features available else-where. That's how force-touch should have been implemented for both iPhone and Apple Watch.

I guess if you're a really basic user this is true.

Reactions: dcdandan

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Force Touch / 3D Touch was one of the cooler subtle features Apple introduced that made devices more enjoyable to use, and it was unique to Apple devices. I wonder why Apple felt the need to get rid of it? I still miss it when using my phone; tapping and holding just doesn't feel as cool and interactive as pushing harder.
When you push harder you inevitably hold it longer. The latter should suffice. You were just wasting your efforts.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
News such as this are why I have updates blocked at my router (and use LTE outside of my own wifi):

Block these servers:

mesu.apple.com
softwareupdate.apple.com

Enjoy your features continuing to work!

Reactions: !!! and B4U

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
This was my favorite feature of the Apple Watch when I had one. (UI feature I should say. I enjoyed the haptic feedback.)

Last edited:

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
It’s odd they decided to kill the feature for devices that support it, where the iPhone still supports 3D Touch for models with the hardware.
No it doesn't unless you're still running iOS12. They silently disabled it (on the X/XS/8/7/6S) with the release of iOS13, lowering the common denominator to the 1-year old haptic-only XR and new SE2 and 11s. The exact same stunt they've pulled yet again with watchOS7 update for those with AW5/4/3. The removal is bad enough but to do it silently without warning via an OS update, is utterly reprehensible.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MrUNIMOG and B4U

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Not happy about this. I asked AppleCare about why this is a thing, they are escalating to software engineering because apparently this isn't documented anywhere internally as being removed in older watches..... typical.... I use force touch every day and don't see why they should remove a hardware feature that my watch has via software just because it suits their new product. I didn't purchase a series 6 i have an older gen that has this hardware, why cant I continue using it? The product I was sold used the hardware, it should continue that way.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Wait a second, so I can no longer force touch my weather app to see rain and temp conditions?

First it was 3D Touch, now this. Step in the wrong direction.

Reactions: dcdandan and B4U

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
No it doesn't unless you're still running iOS12. They silently disabled it (on the X/XS/8/7/6S) with the release of iOS13, lowering the common denominator to the 1-year old haptic-only XR and new SE2 and 11s. The exact same stunt they've pulled yet again with watchOS7 update for those with AW5/4/3. The removal is bad enough but to do it silently without warning via an OS update, is utterly reprehensible.
It’s still there. I’m on iOS 14. Here’s a screenshot I took just now with the option on an Xs

0685FCD6-97CE-4B2C-A99F-F8AA4A7708E5.jpeg

CCAB7BAB-7B24-4789-B059-AC9E111311E6.jpeg

AD4CBFD5-7FD4-4549-9F3E-B742D21A364B.jpeg

Last edited:

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Despite the pain of loss, this is the correct move.

Force Touch is not discoverable, at all. It’s truly a poor UX. In an ideal world, this feature is amazing. We don’t live in that ideal world.

Sure, once you’ve learned something, it’s difficult to revert, because now something seems missing.

Alas, sacrifices must be made. Apple has the data. The data clearly shows that it’s best to remove this feature.

Could Apple handle the removal better? Yes, absolutely. They could handle a lot of decisions they make by bringing more light to the subject.

But if you are an Apple consumer, you should know by now Apple has little to no transparency.
True. It’s why I barely used it. I would forget.

And who searches for shortcuts by squeezing their electronic device?

On the iphone I always forgot it was even a thing. And if you experiment most of the time nothing happens. So you feel foolish after a while.

On my watch, I only knew about using it for watch faces. It’s pretty awkward to push hard against your own wrist all the time.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009

This.

It should have been a poweruser shortcut rather than something people were required to use for functionality.

But then, would it have been worth the cost and internal space for just a few power users?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.