WatchOS4 totally ruined the Watch for me !! what the hell apple !!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fatmom, Sep 13, 2017.

1. fatmom macrumors newbie

The apple watch is now a stand alone music player, only able to play music stored/synced on it. You can no longer choose your phone as the source, I can't believe they made that change. It was super usefull to iniate musics either with siri or from a single tap on the now playing complication, nope its now only synced music and you also need headphones paired to it. I used the watch alot in my car with siri and my bluetooth receiver to start and change music easily, without reaching for my phone.

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Your still able to initiate Siri on the Apple Watch and have it play songs on the iPhone. I was able to ask Siri to play a song from my Apple Watch and it played through my iPhone.

3. fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

I only plays stuff in your library, forgot to mention about apple music. If I ask my watch to play a band that is not in my library, it can't find it, before It could thru the entire apple music library.

Its also very frustrating that you cant access your library directly from the watch like it used to work since forever!

4. Bballrob macrumors member

I didn't think watchOS 4 was out yet. Am I wrong? Maybe just for developers??

5. fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

the lastest beta is the GM. So exact same thing as full release.

6. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I understand what you mean, but I think this change reflects the Cellular Apple Watch.

It was kind of awesome to view your library on the Apple Watch, but as long as to initiate Siri from the Apple Watch and it plays through the iPhone.. I’m fine with that.

Now if I connect my Bluetooth headphones to my Apple Watch, I’ll be able to access music that I synced to the Apple Watch and do whatever activities I want without worrying about my iPhone.

I kind of think that’s the motive by Apple... I’m sure not planning on getting the Cellular Apple Watch.

7. BSben macrumors 6502a

My biggest problem with Music on Apple Watch is the lack of an equaliser, music from the watch sounds flat.

8. midkay macrumors member

Is this for real? I'm gonna be disappointed if so. I liked being able to toggle the 'source' to be Watch or Phone and control playback of my entire iPhone music library from my watch. I use that far more often than actually streaming music directly from the watch. If that feature is gone now.. what a regression :(

9. fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

there was no need to remove the choice to select the source ! Before OS4, you could choose between iphone and watch, no need to force watch only because of LTE !
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    its why I bought a watch in the first place!

10. midkay macrumors member

Are you sure they haven’t just moved the functionality? Is it maybe only available in force touch menu now?

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Beta isn't a GM, then

12. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

13. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

it's the GM. the same version that will be released to the public next week. Apple removed the ability to view ones iPhone music library on the Watch in OS 4. That's fact, it's been consistent during the ENTIRE beta process and still is also present in the GM build. Apple has also confirmed that this was intentional.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Feel free to report the post, but a golden master build isn’t considered to be a beta build, just delivered in the beta channel.

To answer the topic, I can view my library on my Apple Watch, and I do not have my music stored on my watch.

What Apple has been doing and it has made it abundantly clear is that the watch should be separate from the phone.

15. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Well you're the only person ever who can do that on watchOS 4. Good job getting the special release that still has that feature. The rest of us will lament our loss.

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I can understand how frustrating losing this is. The best I feel that we can do is send your feedback to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/watch.html.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This is the single worst change in my view. I don’t use my watch for music but it was good to use it as a remote control. I had hoped it would return with every beta, but alas it’s not in the GM :(

18. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Hang on, I use my watch to select music on my phone to stream to my AirPods. Are you saying that functionality is gone and i cant use my watch to control music on my iPhone?
    Are you on the GM versions of WatchOS4 and iOS11?

19. RMSko macrumors 6502

Will I be able to stream Pandora without my phone?

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Its not much compensation but if you are going LTE with AW3 and have iTunes match then

"Finally, Apple confirmed to AppleInsider that Apple Watch Series 3 is capable of streaming music from a user's iCloud Music Library using iTunes Match, meaning users are not forced into an Apple Music subscription. Of course, users can also load up tunes by syncing with their iPhone, as with past Watch models."

21. fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

no, you still have basic fonctions from song already playing on the iphone. What you CANT do anymore is access your entire library on your watch UNLESS its synced, you can't use the iphone as your source anymore. also, you dont have full apple music library access from your watch anymore. If you ask to play Metalica and its not in your iphone library, siri can't find it even when subbed to apple music. Its so ****** worthless. User ct2k7 is from another world apparently.

22. julesme macrumors regular

Can we get a few more beta users to confirm and clarify this? It seems OP is saying essentially that Watch can no longer be used as a remote to control music playback from the iPhone? That makes no sense at all.

If correct, this is huge.

23. fatmom, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

But this is not what I want, I want to access ALL APPLE MUSIC from my watch, with siri, like it used to work since the dawn of the apple watch.
    You can only skip/foward/play/pause currently playing song from the iphone. If you dont sync anything and tap the music watch app, it ask you to sync music, and no longer offer to select the source.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/12/watchos-4-golden-master-developers/

If you had the beta and did the lastest update, its now GM. This is what I have right now and the source selection have been removed since beta1.

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

God that sucks. Does WatchOS4 and the new 16gb AW3 still have a 2gb limit for storing music on the watch?

25. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

You can access Now Playing on your iPhone via the Now Playing complication.

Not the same i know as you can't choose music as such, but at least there's an easy way to control music on your phone via the watch after you've selected your playlist or album.

It's definitely a step backwards having separate ways to access music on your phone and watch.