WatchOS4 totally ruined the Watch for me !! what the hell apple !!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fatmom, Sep 13, 2017.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

Wait.

I ask Siri “play Coldplay radio” using my watch and it finds the station on my iPhone and plays. Is this no longer an option?

2. richard371 macrumors 68020

Will the music app let you see the Spotify tracks you are playing and fast forward like you can now?

3. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I just want the functionality that I had before where I can call up all my music from my watch and select what I want to play without having to pull my phone out of my pocket

4. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

How would it handle my playlist "All Music" which is a smart playlist that is all my downloaded music on my phone. Will it play through constantly adding and deleting music as it goes through all my songs?

5. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

If you mean playing music on the phone app Spotify then control the playback on the watch, it's handled in the "Now Playing" app on the watch, which is totally separate from the Music watch app.

The "Music" app on the watch can now only play stored songs, besides (presumably) being able to access Apple Music playlists on any watch with cellular capability.

6. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

can't you just copy the songs to the AW and bluetooth that to the receiver?

7. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

According to this video, it is possible to source music from the watch
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/10/watchos-4-whats-new-hands-on-50-features-video/

8. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Just watched and I was right.
    You can't choose the source in the music app, watch only.
    The Now Playing app is separate and allows you to 'control' your music but not choose it.

9. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Are y’all saying that you can’t ask Siri to play Apple Music from the watch now? Im confused.

10. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Yes you can and it'll ask you to 'Open Now Playing' and start playing on your iPhone, or AirPods if connected to phone.

11. slayer1551 macrumors member

slayer1551

Currently running the GM and although I cant browse what music I had on my phone I did trying asking Siri to play a rock radio station and that worked fine. Also asking to play a random artist I didnt have in my library worked fine and started playing on the phone

12. rpgonzalez macrumors newbie

-Played “all music” from iPhone
    -Opened Primus playlist from phone
    -Opened Little mermaid soundtrack (tried to think of something random lol) and opened from Apple Music.

So, it works fine. I have 10,000 songs on my iphone, I don’t browse songs on my watch that would be useless. I ask siri, and she does anything I want. I’m on os4 official release. ;)

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I can still access all my Apple Music subscription content and all my playlists from the watch using Siri. Just can’t browse anymore from the watch. It is just a pain that I’ll have to remember my playlist names. It is pretty lame that they took the phone option away, but I’ve been around long enough to know that companies value new customers more than existing customers.

14. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Not a fan of the new way to interact with music. I will never listen to headphones as much as I use AirPlay, so it is a bit of a disappointment. I liked the option to just click on the iPhone or Watch. Also, the “now playing” complication has to be in the biggest box, so I had to move Carrot Weather to one of the small complications and remove the Music complication. Therefore, I can’t get to music on both devices as fast as I used to. Seems like a completely unnecessary change. Even if I bought the Cellular Watch, it will never be my main music source when compared with the iPhone.

That being said, I am sure I will eventually get used to it.

15. CowardlyRion macrumors newbie

Try NePlayer Lite. I connected AirPods to iPhone and am now able to play & navigate music from iPhone (through NePlayer Apple Watch app), maybe Apple will change their mind.

16. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I’m confused by this thread. I have iOS 11 and WatchOS 4 and I can ask Siri on my Apple Watch to play some music by a certain artist or music from the 1980’s for example. I then get shown on my Apple Watch either open Now Playing or open Music, the music then plays through my Bluetooth earphones (Bose).

17. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Siri still works. They eliminated the iPhone option from the Music app, though.

18. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I guess it's good I haven't updated yet on my series 1 then. I work with dogs and sometimes my phone is on the other side of the playgroup (don't want a dog to accidentally step on it while I sit down and they sit on my lap sometimes), and I don't want to move if the dog is super comfortable, so I just glance at my watch to change. I hope it's just a bug and that it will be reintroduced in 4.1

19. zero hectic, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

zero hectic macrumors member

“Also, the “now playing” complication has to be in the biggest box, so I had to move Carrot Weather to one of the small complications and remove the Music complication. Therefore, I can’t get to music on both devices as fast as I used to. Seems like a completely unnecessary change.”

THIS. I have no idea why they implemented this the way they did. I used to activate Music by the old small icon and having to use up a large text box to do the same seems like a half thought out quick fix.

Does anyone have suggestions for a third party app that can give us back some of the original functionality?

20. fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

weird, I cannot. I can either sync playlist/recently played m
    siri only works with music already in your playlist and or library !!! It use to search for music across the entire apple music library, not anymore

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Not in my experience. I tested telling Siri on my watch to "Play the Wide Open album by Micahel McDonald" and it started playing the album on my iPhone. I have never listened to the album and it has never been in my Library. I went to All Music guide and got the album name from last week's releases for this test.

22. fatmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok will try harder then, but they still removed the iphone source from the music app.

Nope, just tried to ask the watch to play pink or lady gaga and said couldnt find it.

23. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Not sure what you mean with regards to "eliminated the iPhone option from the music app".

24. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

In the music app on the watch there was an option to browse the music from your phone directly on the watch, or browse whatever music you synced to your watch using the phone's watch app. I haven't downloaded watch os 4 yet so I haven't played around with it yet

25. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

What he/she said. You can no longer browse your iPhone library and hit play on the watch to start playing music on the iPhone. The Music app is only for the Watch now.

You control the iPhone with Siri and Now Playing, but you lose the ability to browse and see artwork now. Fortunately, you can access AirPlay options from Now Playing.