Water damage to the max...options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vikinguy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 is done for. Submersed in water for close to ten mins... I know water damage isn't covered...what will it cost me to replace it?

I did a quick search but didn't find anything specific..any info would be HUGELY appreciated. -vik

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I think the apple store will replace it for $199, but don't quote me on that.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, they should. Sorry to hear about that OP.

4. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

so 199....you think best buy would do it too?

and thanks for the condolences...I was not pleased...

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure if Best Buy would. Did you buy it from them? And out of curiosity, how did your iPhone get submerged in water for 10 minutes?

6. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I was riding shotgun in a friends car. We were listening to my iphone connected to the car stereo..we stopped at a grocery store to pick up a few things and as I got out I put my phone on the arm rest...but it slipped and fell into a cup of water below the armrest...the person I was with didn't notice until shortly before I was coming out of the store.

:mad:

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Man that totally stinks. You could try and put it in a sealed container of rice. The rice will absorb the water and in a few days your iPhone might work again. It is a long shot. Good luck.

8. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't really mind having to lay out 199...but like 400 would totally suck.

9. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

if you tell them what happened they will probably only make you shell out $199

10. geko29 macrumors 6502

Make an appointment at an Apple store, and tell the rep exactly what happened. DO NOT LIE. Explain the situation with the cup of water exactly as you have here. If you're lucky, the rep will take pity on you and waive the replacement fee. If not, you'll be on the hook for $199, which is more than fair given the actual cost of the device ($599/699).

11. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Sucks, but it's the OPs fault so they should pay the $199 or whatever it is to get a new one and be thankful at that. Kinda' annoys me that these days people expect pitty and things for free.

12. Gavernty macrumors 6502

did you even read his post? Looks to me like he said he wants to pay the $199 and doesn't expect ANYTHING for free. People like you need to STOP POSTING

thanks

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just try to be funny if your initial try with the genius doesn't get you there, ask for iPhone 5: will it be water proof?

Apple has a very good customer loyalty policy do they will treat you nice.

Other choices are to switch to Verizon and recover some with their trade in value?

14. geko29 macrumors 6502

What's your point? I didn't tell him to expect it for free, I said he might get lucky, which is completely true. Those are two very different things.

A few months ago my wife put my iPhone through a wash/dry cycle. I told the rep what happened, he explained the $199 replacement, which I was more than grateful for (compared to $699). Later on, they wound up waiving the fee, which I was even more thankful for. None of this implies that I think I deserved it. Just that I appreciate it was offered. The OP is perfectly content with the replacement fee:

15. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

If you have no "priors"... prior times of accidental damage... and you are a nice guy you have a good chance of getting it replaced for free. The no priors thing is something the stores started about 6 mos ago. As was said before... be sincere, nice and honest and you have a great chance of leaving with a nice free replacement.

16. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Thats seriously unlucky. Sorry OP.

17. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the nice thoughts and info guys...i have an appointment this afternoon. Hopefully things will go ok. I'll let you know.

18. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

:)

He hooked me up..free of charge. Thanks again guys...syncing new one now!

wheeee!

19. Zcott macrumors 68020

Top marks once again to Apple for coming up trumps with excellent customer service. I can't see Microsoft or Motorola doing something like that.

20. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah...somehow only the top water sensors were triggered...no IDEA how that was possible. The reason the driver of the car didn't notice it had fallen in the water was because the ipod kept playing...in the glass....lol.

Anyway..I told the genius I owed him a beer.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sweet! Congrats on getting lucky.;)

22. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I have a similar success story. I was drunk one night and pee'ed on my iPhone 4 and it stopped working. So to rid the small and stickiness I put it in water for 5 minutes. Then I went to the apple store and told them someone stole my car and crashed it into a lake and my iPhone was in there. The lady was so stupid and almost started crying and then she granted me a free iPhone replacement! I lucked out.

23. Vikinguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot. :D

24. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

People act as if Apple did the OP a favor by replacing the water damaged phone. Apple is such a "great company" and has "excellent customer relations"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't other companies do the same through insurance and a minimal deductible?

Another area Apple falls short and fails where others excel

Take care of those iPhones because your at the mercy of the "Genius" if you damage it!

To the OP, Apple owed you a free replacement by not offering you insurance.

Apple when are you going to work with your providers to offer insurance?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

25. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Haha this is great!!! Did anyone else read this?!