Water Spill - New 13" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WxMan, Jul 13, 2010.

1. WxMan macrumors newbie

I spilled a bottle of water on my new 13" Macbook Pro. The keyboard doesn't work correctly now and letters are automatically typing on the screen. Some keys don't work completely. Would anyone know at the minimum, about how much it would cost to repair? Or would it be cheaper to get a new one? Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

TBH unless you have insurance its going to be expensive. Best bet would be to visit an Apple store and get them to give you a quote.

3. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Unfortunately, only Apple Care which won't cover accidents is what I only have. Almost all the keys on the keyboard have stopped working at this point. I even turned off the computer and tried turning it upside down to drain it.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

For future reference (for what its worth) if you ever spill liquid onto an electronic device in the future then turn it off immediately and leave it to dry for a few days. Do not turn it on when there is even the smallest possibility it could still be damp, as it will short out the electrics.

5. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll have to call Apple or take it in this week and see what they say.

6. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I called a genius at the Apple Store that's about 40 minutes away from me and he said it's going to be expensive to fix. He told me at the minimal, it would be in the hundreds of dollars, but couldn't give an exact figure without seeing it first. I decided to just save up for a new one and take the hard drive out of this one. I'll save the hard drive and I'm throwing the rest of the notebook out with the trash tomorrow night. The notebook was a good notebook though and I'm definitely buying Apple in the future.

7. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Aww man, it was a 2.66 :(

Well don't throw it out! Put it on ebay! You can get a couple hundred.

9. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Did you happen to use an Amex card when you purchased it? Some credit cards automatically have lost/damaged protection at no additional cost to you. Also, I dont know how old you are, but your home owners insurance may also cover things like this. I know its a long shot, but you never know!

10. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I used my PNC Visa card. I will call them to see if they happen to offer any protection. Otherwise, I'll take everyone's advice and sell on Ebay. I appreciate the advice. Thanks. :)

11. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

If you're a DIY kind of guy, the entire bottom case (keyboard and metal without the logic board & innards) can be had for about $200. I replaced my own after a Dr Pepper incident and it was pretty easy.. but not for everyone.

12. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

OP, if you wanna risk $200 or so more, it may be worth trying this.

I've never done it, but who knows maybe you can.

13. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

Before you throw it out, put it upside down in a dry, heated (but not too hot) space, somewhere where an air current come through) and leave it there for about a week.

If it's just water, you might get lucky and it will work again.

This worked for me for several keyboards I did this with..

Mind you, I haven't tried with laptops, but what do you have to lose at this point ?

14. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

If only the keyboard is broken it won't be that much, if it got your motherboard and other stuff get a new one

16. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I've fixed computers like this before. (I have an COMP TA A+)
    Anyway, That usually means the keyboard is still not dried out. Take a can of compressed air to it and wait a few more days and try it again.

You def. wont get AppleCare or warranty coverage, considering it's accidental damage and there are moisture sensors in the computer. Apple will probably say it costs $600 or some price, which is the luck i've had in the past.
    You'd probably be better off taking it to a Apple certified technition, and with labour it would probably be around ~$200. (Just a guess)
    To get to the keyboard you basically need to gut the computer, which would put labour costs up quite high.

Def. Don't throw it out, i've seen water damaged new ones that sell for up to $800.
    It would really help recoup the cost of a new one. Plus, yours is even still turing on compared to most completley dead ones. :)

17. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

If you are looking to dry it out do the following.

Get a large enough zip lock or bag that you can seal for the macbook. If you can, you should always immediately remove the battery but we all know how that goes with Apple products.

Get a few bags of rice or even better the cat little that is made up of pure silica gel. http://www.freshstep.com/prodcrystals.php

Put the laptop in the bag, fill it with the rice or silica gel and leave it there for two days. If it is going to have any chance of working, that will do the trick of getting all the moisture out of it.

I have saved 3 cells phone in this manner. Have 5 daughters, I keep this stuff on emergency standby at all times. :)

and... I just found this.... if only they made a laptop kit: http://www.silicagelpackets.com/irecovery-cell-phone-electronics-drying-kit/

18. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent tips. Thank you all very much for the information. I am going to continue to dry it out and if all fails, I may just sell it on Ebay to recoup the cost of a new Macbook Pro. Great tip about the cat litter and rice. Will have to try it out and see how it goes. Thanks again. :)

19. WxMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I got curious how much a repair would actually cost and decided to take my computer into the Apple store and they said since this was my first Mac, they would replace it free. I'm keeping liquids far away from my computer now. My new one is working perfectly.

Apple is the best! Thank you Apple!!! :D :apple:

20. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

21. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

That's incredible!!! Apple must feeling happy.. free iP4 bumpers, now this!

LOL :D

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Congratulations! That is awesome. You have got to love Apple. :)
    You must be really happy. (hell I know I would be)

Just be a little careful with liquids. Consider a keyboard protector to further protect your investment. :eek:

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats!!! Steve Jobs said today that they love and care about their customers, he's not kidding!!:) Man, do yourself a favor and get a silicone keyboard cover for possible future spills. I use the iSkin, but don't get the Moshi Clearguard. Here's the link to iSkin.http://www.iskin.com/protouch_macbook/fx_features.html#continue

24. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Were you within the 14-day return period? Im just wondering. This is very out of the ordinary for Apple, and you should never expect them to do anything like this, so just be careful with your precious computer!

25. advres Guest

advres

Well awesome for you I guess...

Looks like the iGeneration is more important than people who have been buying their computers for over a decade.