Way to get iOS4 Tethering free?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RedPwnerRanger, Aug 10, 2010.

1. RedPwnerRanger macrumors member

Are there any packages or anything that enable tethering on iOS4 for free? I don't want to pay for AT&T's plan or whatever, and I don't want to have to purchase MyWi, so are there any ways I can do it without any payment? Obviously I'm not asking for any cracked apps or anything, I'm just a freeloader.

I have a 3G running iOS4.0.1.

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Jailbreak and u can enable native tethering by using the comcenter patch and ssh. Three is some other things u need to know but just search the forms for like "comcenter patch" or somthing like that.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Cirdan is planning to release a universal package for enabling tethering on iOS 4.0 and 4.0.1 on any carrier without a Commcenter patch or any manual editing. Its only dependency will be ultrans0w. It's still in testing, and there's no ETA yet, but it might be worth waiting for.

4. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I sent you a PM, OP. No commcenter patch or anything like that.

5. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

"Are there any ways to have items that cost money in my hands without losing the money those items cost?"
    Yes. It's called theft.

6. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

lol was waiting for one of you to reply in this thread

7. choice macrumors regular

I feel that statement is a double standard. It's ok to buy MyWi for $20 but not pay the monthly tethering fee from AT&T. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy MyWi too, but I think you're theoretically doing wrong by not buying it legitmately from AT&T.

8. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

hahah i'm not judging, just think it's funny.

"HEY ARE THERE ANY INTERNET HAX 4 ME 2 HAVE A FREE MACBOOK PRO?"

9. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

When did I say it was okay to buy MiWi?

10. choice macrumors regular

oh ok but most people here support it. you're off free...for now. ;)

11. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

I mean I never said what I support or don't support, I just expressed humor in the idea of someone blatantly posting something to the effect of
    "Hey everyone, I know most people have to pay for things that they want, but I'm above the rules and feel that I should be given things for free, but I'm not even willing to work on ways to get those things, in fact, I won't even do so much as Google something. I want everyone on this forum to make my life easier by telling me how to have things for free"

12. RedPwnerRanger thread starter macrumors member

13. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Yes, it is an alternative to paying for tethering. And taking a TV from Best Buy without paying is also a substitute for spending money. Regardless of the risk of being caught, it's still wrong.

14. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Is enabling tethering a crime or is it "merely" violating the terms of service?

If yes, then the commcenter patch, mywi, handylight, and any other way of enabling tethering is just the same as theft.

If no, on the other hand, then it's not the same as theft.

I don't know which it is -- can someone please enlighten us?

15. socco macrumors regular

You recognize the difference between tethering and stealing a TV, right?

16. ender21 macrumors 6502

It seems as though in the act of saying he isn't judging or that he won't say what he does or doesn't support, he's both judging and saying what he does and doesn't support. ;)

I mean I never said what I support or don't support, I just expressed humor in the idea of someone blatantly posting something to the effect of
    "Hey everyone, I know most people have to pay for things that they want, but I'm above the rules and feel that I should be given things for free, but I'm not even willing to work on ways to get those things, in fact, I won't even do so much as Google something. I want everyone on this forum to make my life easier by telling me how to have things for free"

And making sweeping generalizations on ones' intentions. The OP only wanted to know how to get tethering for free, due to stated reasons of laziness and cheapness. He did not say he feels entitled to or above paying for TVs, cars, blenders, Foreman grills or diamond-encrusted walking sticks filled with Jim Beam.

I find it amazing that people will rush to a company's defense of suspect policies that push the envelope further and further, yet when consumers fight fire with fire they're roasted. You can just as easily argue that if companies wish to ensure their policies are followed, close the loopholes that allow them not to be. I prefer that companies merely operate fairly and I'll gladly give them my money.

You legislate being right-handed as illegal and you'll have a world of outlaws. But at least scwinsett will follow the rules and learn to be left-handed. I bet he/she never exceeds the speed limit either. ;)

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I had pretty big problems with his method. Although I eventually got it working, my baseband would crash every 10 minutes until I undid the changes and uninstalled ultrasn0w. Hopefully the automated package will correct most of these problems.

18. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I've said it before and I'll say it again: why do people think it's OK to steal AT&T's tethering service (in any form) but that it's NOT OK to steal MyWi?

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Well, as far as MyWi is concerned, it is stealing software. It is much akin to walking into Best Buy, putting a CD in your pocket and walking out, although much easier.

I find the tethering to be quite a bit murkier. It leaves a VERY sour taste in my mouth that AT&T can tell me that it's OK for me to use my data to check my email or the web from the phone, but it's not OK for me to hook up to my computer and do the same. Quite frankly it's a bit insulting that they want to charge me an extra 20$ MONTHLY to enable a feature on my device that is already there.

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I agree. To me it's like the water company charging me for every drop of water I use, then telling me I can only water my flowers but not use the water I pay for to wash my car. Unless there is a drought or water shortage, this would be the same scenario.

21. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well all I have to say on this subject is "I LIKE JIM BEAM" :D

22. coasterswim macrumors 6502

But there is a drought. AT&T's network doesn't have the infrastructure to let everyone start attaching data-devouring "desktop" OSes to its network so it's charging more to restrict it.

Perhaps it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth that the MyWi developer wants to charge me $20 for something that an App Store app could probably do for $0.99. (This isn't the case, but could be for someone)

23. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think this is a great example. I also think it sets a bit of a scary precedent in society. What happens when the water computer learns that it could be possible for them to charge not only for the water you use, but for the services you use the water for.

+All of the sudden there is a meter on your dishwasher that allows them to charge extra for water used for washing dishes. Ostentatiously, the excuse would be something mundane like "The cost of reclaiming dirty dishwater requires us to charge extra for water used in dishwashing".

I definitely agree. If the MobileWifi framework was better documented, it would be possible to do this very cheaply and easily (and probably in a couple of dozen lines of code). Unfortunately, the MiWi developer has a corner on that particular market right now because they were able to reverse engineer the framework so well.

24. ender21 macrumors 6502

Ha! What do you mean? Our carrier gives us 3G access that we pay for but is spotty in some places, so they offer us femtocells for $150 in order to get that 3G access we already pay for, but get it over our wifi that we pay our ISP for already, and it counts against our voice or data plans, that we've already paid for. What's wrong with that (other than being a grammatical mess!)?? ;)

25. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

You can be a prick about it and justify yourselves any way you need to, but the fact of the matter is it's a service that AT&T has set up for a fee, and you're using unauthorized methods to obtain said service without paying. That is the very definition of theft, regardless of whether or not you agree with the pricing setup.