We need swipe to unlock feature like BB10

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SakuraSuki, Sep 4, 2013.

1. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

BlackBerry 10 is a fantastic feature, it might not be commercially successful, but it certainly better than Android and iOS in certain aspects. I don't have BlackBerry 10 devices yet, because I am waiting for that big 5 inch Q30. One of the feature I like is that the ease of unlock your phone. You no longer have to press the sleep/weak button, swipe to unlock. You just swipe up when device is sleep. I certainly fell this small thing that really enhance the user experiences.

I really hope one day that iOS user not longer need to this 2 step process every time to unlock device, because we unlock our device quite frequently and it is hassle to go through this 2 step process over and over again.

2. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I think the 5S may leapfrog even this with fingerprint scanner unlocking.

3. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

well, unless Apple adds fingerprint scanner to every iOS devices, then this argument is invaild.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

First, this would need to be built into hardware.

Second, seems like this would cause a lot of accidental unlocking which would be a pretty big pain.

No thanks. I don't think RIM is a good company to model after.

5. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

I have friend using BB10 as daily driver, they never had accidental unlocking at all.

RIM pretty much invented smartphone and dominated smartphone market for past few years until 2011. RIM certainly is a respectful company in that sense. And as Cananidan, I am certainly proud of RIM and hope RIM could recovery.

6. rgeneral macrumors member

Sadly. it won't be a Canadian company soon. it will be sold or broken up. Rim is over. it will always be a niche player.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

SakuraSuki: I don't know what your response means. I think what pittpanthersfan was referring to is that a fingerprint scanner will both wake up the device and unlock a password protected iPhone (2 steps). If you use a password on the Blackberry then you will still need to unlock it after you swipe (2 steps). Not an insult or complaint, just trying to understand your response.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Your French is quite good!

9. matty.p macrumors 6502

Since Apple was granted a patent on the swipe to unlock we have now, I don't see them changing from it anytime soon.

10. Gymgenius Suspended

They've had their day, and at the time, they were phenomenal - but as more enterprises use iOS devices, RIM/BB are rapidly becoming a spent force.

11. rikscha macrumors 6502a

While people i.e. at Apple can work all night, Cananidans cannot. I think this is the real reason for RIMs downfall. A clear competitive disadvantage.

12. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

It is s nice way to wake up the device. It doesn't result in accidental wake ups and it is a little better than pressing a button and then a swipte. Though it isn't really any easier.

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

iOS 7 already removes Apple's patented swipe to unlock implementation. :)

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Not a well thought out feature in my opinion. The accidental unlock mechanism in place on both android and iphones now IS to press the power/sleep/home button before you proceed. Take that away and people are going to be unlocking their phones left/right by accident in their pockets.

This was even apparently happening in iOS 7 because the slide to unlock was the entire screen.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

He was saying that since a fingerprint scanner can't be brought to current iOS devices, a way to further improve swipe to unlock (that can be brought to them, since it's just software) would still be desired.

16. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

The BlackBerry require swipe up from bottom up, the iOS require you swipe from left to right. When your phone is inside your pocket, the phone is more likely move from right to left or left to right than moving up and down. Also is is harder to accidently lip unlock your screen vertically. Distance from bottom to top is longer than from left to right

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-f254/unlock-phone-accidentally-pocket-812127/

apparently the solution to that problem is to buy a leather pouch to avoid accidental unlocks?

18. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Dude.. RIM died that day the iPhone came out. (2007)
    By 2011 they were half way in their grave.

They are going to get scrapped for bits and sold off. Prior to 2007 - yes RIM was the main dog. But iPhone and Android have put that dog to sleep.

They (RIM (now BlackBerry)) have made far too many mistakes and big ones at that to recover.

Shed a tear, say a prey and say goodbye to them.

With this whole just swipe the screen..errm, No. That leads to accidentally unlocks. One thing i love about iDevices is this two step to unlock. Pocket calling someone instantly became a thing of the past.

19. 0000757 macrumors 68040

RIM invented the classic plastic phone with plastic fixed keys and a wheel to move around. Apple killed them when they introduced the modern smartphone and the App Store. If we had gotten phones like the Z10 amd Q10, say, 3 or 4 years ago, RIM could've been a competitor. Instead they stuck to promoting their outdated support-lacking plastic phones and this killed them. RIM lost domination much sooner than 2011. RIM lost being the dominant phone manufacturer in 2009 if not sooner.

RIM is dead. It will not recover.

20. Todd B. macrumors 6502

Pretty sure that iOS has had a "swipe to unlock" feature since the beginning. Whenever I'm on my iPhone, all I do is move the bar to the right and I'm in.

21. 0000757 macrumors 68040

He's talking about unlocking without waking the device.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Based on at least one post there it seems that BalackBerry offers an option to also enable the lock button to be used in addition when waking up the phone. That's a good option to have and solves the issue from either side it seems. Options are good.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Not if one option results in excessive pocket-dials of 911.

24. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I'm sorry but Blackberry phones stopped being smart phones when Apple and Android phones came upon the scene. The only good feature about BB phones were the push email and keyboard and thats it! As years gone by, BB stuck to their ancient OS and it started to look more like a dumb phone than a smart phone.

25. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

Not if you ever used the BlackBerry OS 10. It is pretty decent OS. It is better than iOS in some aspects. I like the unified message hub, one hand usability, different work space etc.