We WILL have 2.0 by the time MobileMe launches.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellodon, Jul 8, 2008.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

I just posted this in another thread but I think it's worthy of it's own thread. Another bit of information dropped by Apple right under our noses. Check this out:

Here is the link to the support page:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

Here's a Q & A from Apples support page:
    It says direct from Apple that the software update will be available when MobileMe launches...and they have said that MobileMe IS launching tomorrow. It's not clear if they are saying that the software update will be available at the same time as MobileMe...or if they are saying "by the time MobileMe launches, the software will already be available" meaning that it could come at any time between now and when MobileMe launches.

It seems pretty clear though that we'll have 2.0 by the time MobileMe launches tomorrow at the very latest. Hopefully sooner.

We might see it today, we might see it tomorrow. But it sounds like we won't have to wait any longer than that. :)

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Front page now. (abit more emphasis) :cool:

R-Fly

3. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Agreed.

I'm so hyped for 2.0. I can't wait for the launch, whenever it is!

4. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Do you really think they will release 2.0 before the iPhone 3G?? This wouldnt make business sense to be honest. There will be a whole number of people who had planned to upgrade on Friday, but then updated their current iPhone with 2.0 and decided not to get the iPhone 3G.

Hell I might be one of them!

5. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

The first thing I said at the top is "I just posted this in another thread but I think it's worthy of it's own thread. Another bit of information dropped by Apple right under our noses."

6. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Why wouldnt it make business sense? The point of 3g iPhone is the 3g speeds and GPS and the slightly new look. Those are the only differences and they made that very clear. 2.0 is going to be 2.0 on both phones. That's all I really want which is why I'm not going to bother with the 3g phone....save yourself the money too. 2.0 is enough for me and it's free!

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If that was their intention to get current iPhone users to upgrade their hardware just for the 2.0 software update then they would delay the release of 2.0 for the 1st gen iPhone by weeks...

8. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll tell ya...that would probably make me buy one. Good thing that's NOT the case.

I think they are more after new customers than upgrades...but they KNOW that a ton of people will upgrade because of 3g and fanboy-ism anyway.

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Cause a lot of people don't know that 2.0's coming to both phones. Lol.

10. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Think so?
    I would think that anyone that cares enough to know the new one is coming out probably knows about 2.0 coming out. Some people probably don't even pay attention to this stuff and will just plug their phone in one day and realize there's an update..then eventually see that they can put apps on it....it's crazy to think that some people arent nuts about this stuff like I am but there are probably more people like that than people like us - people that just bought it because it's a cool phone but don't pay attention to all the stuff going on with it.

11. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

So why all of a sudden are we ignoring the other Apple press release that specifically states that the 2.0 firmware update will be available on July 11?

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm just playing word semantics here, but if it's available on the 10th then it would also be available on the 11th ;)

14. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I'm more excited about the 2.0 update than the 3G iPhone.

15. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

Same here

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

Gah, I've gotta go buy a huge block of salt to take with this speculation!

17. boch82 macrumors 6502

It does say that.
    But the other link to apple in the OPs first post says it will be available when MobileMe is launched. Apple has said
    Put those 2 statements from Apple together and 2.0 will be out by the time MobileMe is launched tomorrow night

18. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing about that Press Release is that it was probably written before the Keynote happened...and in the Keynote Jobs never said that the firmware and the phone would both be available on July 11th...just the phone. If that was a known definite date, he would have said it straight up "2.0 and new iPhone both coming July 11th" but he didnt...

Instead, he said "late June" or "early July" for existing iPhone users (I'd have to watch the video to confirm, I thought I remember late June, but it might have been early July)...so it was always my interpretation that the press release was written saying that the phone and the firmware would both be available on that date since it was a "safe" announcement date since it had to be ready by then since the phone was definitely coming out...but I dont think that was ever an official release date for the firmware.

Anyone watch the keynote recently to verify what he says?

I always just thought if he KNEW both were going to be July 11th, he would have just said it...but he made sure to say something different instead...as if the 3g release date and the 2.0 firmware date were different dates. And as someone else said, if you read into that statement a little bit more - it could just be saying that it would be available on that date since it will be - but it doesnt mean it won't hit BEFORE that date.

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Releasing 2.0 early would tempt people to try it on their original iPhones and forget unlocking them for sale on eBay.

20. jhkaplan macrumors regular

Bingo.

21. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Contrary to popular belief, "iPhone 2.0 software will be available on July 11 as a free software update via iTunes® 7.7 or later for all iPhone customers." was actually not added to the press release until sometime in mid-June. I remember reading the press release over and over on June 9th and I know for a fact that bit of info was not there. Then, sometime in mid-June, R-Fly noticed that Apple had added it into the press release.

22. rayward macrumors 65816

The whole point of 2.0 is the App Store. They'll want to maximise revenue by having apps available to as many customers as possible. The money in the iPhone isn't from sales of the unit, especially now with the price drop, it's from monthly subscriptions, music downloads and (tomorrow I hope) apps.

23. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Which is why Apple wouldn't want to do that. Why should they care if anyone sells their existing phone? They'd prefer it I'm sure, as they've already made money selling them the first one, and can now make money selling them a new one.

24. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Didn't that same press release say mobileme would also be release on 7/11? We now know that is not the case