Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
In related news, Microsoft just introduced a $3000 i5 machine with 8 gigs RAM.

There are PLENTY of lower priced options on the market. But if you want the best (and the new MBP are by far and away the best laptops), pony up.

As a professional, I don't care about €200 or €300 more, and I know the resale value will be HUGE as always.

TOC is for men, sticker price is for kids.

What's that got to do with laptops? It's a niche product, the Macbook isn't.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
UK sales are going to plummet. Been an Apple lover since the 80s but Cook is testing my patience. Still occassionally waking up at 6am to try and reserve for pickup an iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black on iPhone Upgrade Programme but the few that come in go in seconds. Not feeling the love...

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Yes and that statement was true was before prices shot up - I am willing to bet that will all change now....

It won't.

Residual value of the used machines will go up accordingly. As I said, TOC is for men, sticker price is for kids.

apjuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Of course it will, people will but what they can afford - residual values won't even come into it!

apjuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
It won't.

Residual value of the used machines will go up accordingly. As I said, TOC is for men, sticker price is for kids.

Of course it will, people will but what they can afford - residual values won't even come into it!

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
For years Brits and their Yellow Press talked down the Euro and the City might have done even more, naming other countries PIGS and what not. And when they started to believe their own lies about the continent they are part of, they voted themselves out of the EU and isolated their little island from trade with their closest neighbors. I'm not sympathetic with Mac customers in Britain at all, they had it coming and here it comes.

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
For years Brits and their Yellow Press talked down the Euro and the City might have done even more, naming other countries PIGS and what not. And when they started to believe their own lies about the continent they are part of, they voted themselves out of the EU and isolated their little island from trade with their closest neighbors. I'm not sympathetic with Mac customers in Britain at all, they had it coming and here it comes.

Not all of us voted out but thanks for the kind words.

apjuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
Nice sentiment - not all of us in the UK voted to leave the EU.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
It's not just the UK you know. Here in the Netherlands the pricing has seen a new peak too. Most companies would simply try to keep pricing consistent across all countries, but Apple? No, Apple simply raises them based on the value of the valuta and other regulations.

Thank you Apple, and thank you European Union.

Let's do the math, shall we? Using the new 15 inch base model as example it's current price of $2399 convert to 2200 Euro at the current exchange rate.

The average VAT throughout Europe is around 20%, so let's add that to our new Euro price, giving us a after-tax price of 2640 Euro.

The actual price of said model in Germany is 2699 Euro, so about 59 Euro more than our calculation indicated the price should be. Figuring in stricter consumer protection laws, which definitely raise the costs for Apple in the long run, I think the price is actually pretty fair.

(calculation found on Reddit, no time to do it myself). People seem to forget the prices in $ are without tax while the European prices include VAT.

Not sure why you're blaming the European Union, I get it's an easy party to put the blame at, but they really don't have anything to do with the prices Apple sets for their products.

Edit: The Brits have partly to blame themselves for it. At least the (tiny) majority that voted Leave. I feel sorry for the minority that had a common sense, but the Brits can look forward to price increases for a lot of stuff, ranging from French wines to electronics. May ain't helping either. Wish they would just put it for parliament to vote for, and cancel the whole Brexit thing. I love the UK, doesn't feel good to see it all happening.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England

Dude! Did you see the results? It was 49% vs 51%.

A lot of us over here are sad for much more significant reasons than new MacBook prices!

squirrel77

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2006
Madrid ES
Mmm, flying from Spain to London and staying a night for less than £100?! Last time I went, it cost me about £70 a night with airbnb as hotels were around £200. I guess that would still leave someone £30 for a flight which isn't unreasonable for winter... I know what I'm going to be doing this christmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.