Webpage scrolling lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meister, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

Could someone please do me a favor and tell me if their rmbp is glitching when scrolling on this webpage: rewe.de

i noticed a while ago that my rmbp seems to glitch on certain webpages.
    especially the one above. lag is so bad that scrolling on them hurts my eyes.
    quite annoying ...

it does this with ideal for retina but als scaled resolutions.

i also noticed that the frame gets pretty hot when i am running on the most space resolution.
    i don't mind a lap warmer cuz its real cold here :D

but i wanna make sure that this is normal.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

i just put it next to my macbook air.
    the mba displays the webpage flawlessly.
    the rmbp seems to have slight glitches.

----------

what machine r u using. u have no glitching whatsoever?

4. Omnirai macrumors member

on scaled 1440x900 on rMBP haswell 13" it lags pretty bad for me.

5. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

6. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Thanks. I went to the apple store yesterday and we looked at this page with a mba 2008 and the new haswell rmbp.
    All rmbps glitched on this webpage!!
    The old mba with nvidia something and 2gigs of ram displayed it without a problem.

I noticed quite a lot of laging and glitching on other webpages with the new rmbps and the apple dude confirmed this.
    He couldnt say what the problem is though and said that apple hasnt given any official statement.

It sorta concernes me that my 1500,- machine has problems displaying webpages.
    Wtf!?

7. chabig macrumors 68040

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably badly coded. By the way, what do you mean "glitched"? Are you saying that even after all of the images are loaded, it won't scroll smoothly?

----------

I have a 2013 11" Haswell i7 MacBook Air, and the page scrolls just fine...after the images are loaded.

8. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

After the images are loaded it doesn't scroll smoothly. We tested it on several new rmbps in the apple store.
    MBAs all do just fine.
    I noticed graphics lag on my rmbp in other regards, too.
    for example when you set up the airmail app the animation doesn't run smoothly.

i am starting to get the impression that our rmbp can't really handle the retina all that well.
    at least thats how it feels.

9. leman macrumors 604

Yepp, also quite laggy here. All instances of webstite lag I have experienced on the rMBP seem to be related to image caching one way or the other. When images are disabled, everything is absolutely smooth - no matter which website you take.

10. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

I notice this too, especially on pages with lots of images and occasionally with the launchpad. I believe it is software related because it happens on the 15 inch models as well and those have powerful graphics cards. I honestly think Apple thought it was hardware related and wanted to see if the Haswell refresh would correct the issue. I think we all know the answer now. Otherwise, if the systems weren't able to handle the display, then the lag would be prevalent in more instances.

11. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Your arguments make sense. It seems to be slightly less pronounced with the 15" though.
    Also if its software related then y does it only happen with the retinas?

This seems to have been a problem for a while now. Apple has to fix this!
    Especially for all the money i have given them up till now.

12. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

13. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Are you running mavricks?
    Above you wrote pc. I dont understand :confused:

It happened at the apple store with all retinas!
    When i scroll through mail in airmail it does it, too.

It seems to be a screen issue.
    My mini and mba dont do this.

14. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Yes my bad, running mavericks on the rMBP in my signature.

15. cvdb1969 macrumors member

I have the same RMPB as you and the REWE website is not smooth at all when on Iris Pro (using Safari, haven't tried any other browser). Just out of curiosity, I will try tomorrow at work when the laptop is connected to an ATD.

16. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I'm also using an external mouse if that makes any difference.

17. mscice macrumors regular

18. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

19. Meister, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Its really smooth on my ipad mini.

Here is someones video that shows the scroll lag on another webpage:
    http://youtu.be/wI-FSxTvgJ4

I am starting to wonder about my rmbp :confused:
    A >1500,- notebook shouldnt do this.
    Does anybody know if this really is a software issue and is :apple: gonna fix it?

20. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

do you have any ad blockers? I'll test again tonight, I do run ad blocker on that site, so maybe its an ad or something.

21. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

It has nothing to do with the Hardware of the computers. All Retina Model's lag. If you look at the last cMBP (15 inch or 13 inch) and compare it to the next years Retina model, even with the faster CPU, GPU, and SSD - the Retina lags significantly more. I noticed this when I used a 15" rMBP for the very first time. It turned me off. The problem was supposed to be fixed with Mavericks, but apparently it was only improved slightly. We will have to wait probably 2-3 more years until the lag is fixed (imo) - if they do not choose to implement a change in OSX itself, then WebKit will likely make small fixes over time to address the issue. There is lag elsewhere in the system also (where it is not present on the cMBP), but webpages specifically suck.

Forgot to mention it but it has to do with the lack of optimization of the Retina resolution. It's not that the hardware can't handle it (which is why it lags with smallest and largest resolution options)

22. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

On the phone with apple care :(
    Tried to messure fps on scrolling with quarz debug and my rmbp went of the deep end.

Have to do a clean os install now :eek:

23. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Lol okay well sounds like you have more problems then just scrolling lag

----------

What I said in my post above still holds true though, when you get your comp up and running.

Now that you've mentioned FPS, I believe I read somewhere that the Non-retina models tested to have roughly 60 FPS while scrolling while the Retina line tested had ~30-40 FPS. Even less on the heavier pages

24. walkie macrumors 6502

In my early 2013 15" rMBP is not that laggy but it definitely isn't buttery when scrolling on the Intel HD4000, if I use a higher scaled res it gets a little worse, if I use an external full HD monitor the lag dissappears, the same happens when using the nvidia 650m, now this is very strange because I know other web pages that I visit often and they have a lot more animations, pictures, even flash on it and all of them scroll buttery even on the Intel HD4000, perhaps this page was badly coded, you won't feel it on a normal monitor but remember that a rMBP is moving 3 times much more pixels, and if the web page was badly coded it makes sence to me that in a hiDPI monitor this page shows some lag.

I think Apple did a great job on Mavericks, but they still have a long way for improving MacOSX's GUI.

25. cvdb1969 macrumors member

What.....? :eek: This is terrible! Your MBP certainly has more problems than just the lag.

I just tried it on my ATD and it is smooth. Like others, I think this is a software problem.