Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I don't complain about them not optimizing MS software.
Open keynotes. try to scroll templates. They lag. Don't tell me they don't.
Pages glitches on imported .doc files.

Yes, they lag. And I have written at least two posts about it in this very thread:

...for some reason there seems to be a performance problem with some image views in the HiDPI mode

Again: there seems to be something wrong with Apple's image framework which causes some views containing images to lag under certain circumstances in the retina mode. What this is - I don't know. Certainly not a hardware problem. Why Apple hasn't fixed it yet - I don't know. Anyway, the issue is isolated enough to be only a slight annoyance. There are other bugs which should clearly have higher priority.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The fix is to download RDM and use a Non HiDPI resolution. Don't use the one from the app store as it is limited in resolutions. I am using 1680x1050 which has resolved the slight lag issue. I put the app in my startup. I have done extensive testing with the hiDPI resolutions vs the non HiDPI resolutions and everything is much smoother just like it should be. Downside is some fonts may not be as sharp but I have to put my face about 6" away front he screen to see the difference.

Hopefully Apple will address this in the future. The website the OP linked is buttery smooth in any of the non HiDPI resolutions. A little choppy in the HIDPI modes.

aquablue

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
The fix is to download RDM and use a Non HiDPI resolution. Don't use the one from the app store as it is limited in resolutions. I am using 1680x1050 which has resolved the slight lag issue. I put the app in my startup. I have done extensive testing with the hiDPI resolutions vs the non HiDPI resolutions and everything is much smoother just like it should be. Downside is some fonts may not be as sharp but I have to put my face about 6" away front he screen to see the difference.

Hopefully Apple will address this in the future. The website the OP linked is buttery smooth in any of the non HiDPI resolutions. A little choppy in the HIDPI modes.

How does windows deal with this scaled up? That dell m3800 is looking better every day if you want to use the scaled resolutions on the rmbp. I bet this issue is non existent on the dell

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
if you want windows then get the dell.

How does windows deal with this scaled up? That dell m3800 is looking better every day if you want to use the scaled resolutions on the rmbp. I bet this issue is non existent on the dell

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Its already fixed. I installed graphics tools for devs from developer.apple.com. My rmbp didnt like that. Did a clean install of mavericks and its back to normal.
But the scrolling glitch is not just on my rmbp. We tested it on about five of them. 13" and 15".
They all lag.

Yes, computers lag when scrolling quickly . The rMBP lags sometimes when scrolling quickly and during some animations, due to a number of factors related to how the retina resolutions are implemented and the scaling. It can also be a lot worse on some sites, due to how the site itself is designed. This has been discussed ad nauseum around here.

I do not spend all day scrolling up and down on websites, so it does not bother me. The computer works and is very smooth 99% of the time.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I do not spend all day scrolling up and down on websites, so it does not bother me. The computer works and is very smooth 99% of the time.

Same here, I don't spend all day scrolling pages, I just focus on my work, if you are looking for lags/defects on your laptop all day you surely will find them, all computers have defects or lags no matter if is Windows, Linux or MacOSX, I have had expensive Windows laptops in the past that lagged even worse than a rMBP.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
Yes, computers lag when scrolling quickly .

What a bizare statement ... Not even my phone lags when scrolling quickly.
R u using C64s or maybe a amd486?

I dont look for defects all day. Again: MS Words and others lag so bad on some documents that its unusable.
That really hinders my wokflow!
The webpages not working are the lesser problem.
I dont care y its lagging. I demand :apple: fix this!

aquablue

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
What a bizare statement ... Not even my phone lags when scrolling quickly.
R u using C64s or maybe a amd486?

I dont look for defects all day. Again: MS Words and others lag so bad on some documents that its unusable.
That really hinders my wokflow!
The webpages not working are the lesser problem.
I dont care y its lagging. I demand :apple: fix this!

So for word processing and web page viewing, the rmbp is a poor buy?

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
So for word processing and web page viewing, the rmbp is a poor buy?

if u limit your word processing to pages and pages only.
if u only look at the right webpages the rmbp is excellent.
don't get me wrong. i love my rmbp!! its hard not to.

i just thin :apple: should fix this lagging business.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I don't know if its a placebo affect or wishful thinking but after 10.9.1 update scrolling seems a little better in HiDPI modes then before.

blago

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2016
Russia
It was just dumbest decision to put Iris 6100 in rmbp, I even bought rmbp with 16gb thinking it will run everything smoothly. Even though the thread is old, the problem still exists.
[doublepost=1471170678][/doublepost]Hope Apple will hire someone who cares about its products more than about LGBT and TV shows.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It was just dumbest decision to put Iris 6100 in rmbp, I even bought rmbp with 16gb thinking it will run everything smoothly. Even though the thread is old, the problem still exists.

I'm curious, what tasks is the rMBP unable to perform?

I ask because some folks have demonstrated the problem by quickly resizing an App Store window or scrolling very quickly in safari.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I just checked the site on my rMBP 13" and it doesn't have much lag, initially hits around 40 FPS then jumps up to 55 FPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.