Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to launch a new entry-level iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Pro at its "Spring Loaded" event tomorrow, along with "a few surprises," according to Wedbush analysts.

iPad-Pro-Feature-Orange.jpg

In a new note to investors, seen by MacRumors, Wedbush analysts Daniel Ives and Strecker Backe explained that the iPad will be the main focus of Apple's "Spring Loaded" event, with new entry-level iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Pro models being announced.

The 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro will apparently be receiving "significant changes," including the A14X chip and a "game-changing" mini-LED display for the 12.9-inch model, allowing for better color performance, dimming capabilities, and higher contrast.

While the entry-level iPad and the iPad mini will see "consistent pricing" compared to the current models, the iPad Pro models will apparently have "modest price increases" over the current versions.

While the new iPads will be the main focus of the event, Wedbush believes that "there could be a few surprises," including new iMacs with a range of color options, an updated Apple Pencil, and the long-awaited AirTags item trackers.

Moreover, third-generation AirPods are expected to be teased at the event, but will not be launched immediately. The AirPods 3 are instead expected to be launched "in a separate virtual event in the early summer timeframe," which may be referring to WWDC, starting on June 7.

This may explain some of the uncertainty around the launch of the third-generation AirPods, with some leaked images and reports claiming that launch is imminent, while others have said that they will not enter production until the third quarter of 2021. Nonetheless, it is not clear why Apple would announce new AirPods but not launch them for several months, suppressing the sales of the current model in the process.

MacRumors will provide live coverage of the "Spring Loaded" Apple event both here on MacRumors.com and through our MacRumorsLive Twitter account.

Article Link: Wedbush Analysts Say 'Spring Loaded' Event Will Debut New iPads With 'Modest Price Increase,' Along With 'a Few Surprises'

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Good luck. $799/999 (especially the $200 more for under 2 inches more screen) for the base models are already too high as starting prices as is. Without a keyboard even.

They're getting to the cost of a full laptop (and over) with competitive speed, which makes it a non-starter for most when it can't do everything a full laptop can. The choice would be an easy one for most people looking in that price range.

The base ipad and Air are still relatively good deals for the price, but the Pros are making less sense vs a laptop if they go up any.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
The iPad Pro pricing is already in a weird position, so close or even more expensive than entry level MacBooks, increasing it is not a good thing, I hope it is only in the cellular versions.

(But heck, you know I'll buy it either way).

30$ more in the US = 90€ more in Europe. :rolleyes:

They increased $30 to the 12 line-up this year apparently to cover the price of 5G modems, and said NOTHING during the keynote.

If the 11-inch iPad Pro isn’t getting the new screen, I’ll pass. The processor in my 2018 is still more than sufficient and I’m not looking to move to the 12.9-inch model.

The 2018 iPad Pro is a still a more than capable tablet, I will even say it is the best consumer tablet in the world. For heavier tasks (which I rarely used it for) it was decent too, it did suffer while working on large AutoCAD files and opening big Excel spreadsheets, but that is what my computer was for, not my tablet. I gifted mine to my sister and I will be getting the new one as soon as it goes live.

Last edited:

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
So, what is modest here? A $30 increase? $50? $100? The Pros are expensive as it is, and I especially don’t see any reason for the 11” Pro’s price to go up considering it’s rumored to not get the mini-LED display. It better have something else besides a new processor or camera.

Last edited:

oosamon

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
How would introducing a redesigned AS iMac "keep the focus" on the iPad? Not that I'm opposed.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Good luck. $799/999 (especially the $200 more for under 2 inches more screen) for the base models are already too high as starting prices as is. Without a keyboard even.

They're getting to the cost of a full laptop (and over) with competitive speed, which makes it a non-starter for most when it can't do everything a full laptop can. The choice would be an easy one for most people looking in that price range.

The base ipad and Air are still relatively good deals for the price, but the Pros are making less sense vs a laptop if they go up any.
It says modest increase, 10-20$ won’t make much of a difference, and if there are several points of improvement, as seems to be the case, it would be easier to swallow.

The other point you make it’s very valid. At that price most of the times makes more sense to just get a computer. If you need touch input there are several windows laptops that include that functionality, and a keyboard at no extra cost. But then again, it’s also a matter of personal preference. I’m happy with both my iPad pro and my aging macs.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
Over 1k for a 12.9 iPad feels like robbery. Unless this can do something game changing, its still the same limiting iPad OS.

It's in a bad spot. You can get a Macbook Air or base Pro with a 13" screen for around the same cost (or less depending on config) than a base 12.9 iPad and keyboard (even a cheaper 3rd party one).

And that laptop can do everything a computer can plus run apps now.

The iPad makes no sense at that price level for comparable screen size. Unless you NEED a pencil for some reason like an artist.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
It says modest increase, 10-20$ won’t make much of a difference, and if there are several points of improvement, as seems to be the case, it would be easier to swallow.

The other point you make it’s very valid. At that price most of the times makes more sense to just get a computer. If you need touch input there are several windows laptops that include that functionality, and a keyboard at no extra cost. But then again, it’s also a matter of personal preference. I’m happy with both my iPad pro and my aging macs.

LOL when has apple EVER raised something only $10-20? They like round numbers too per all of their pricey products they sell; ending in $49 or $99. We all know this is code for at least $50.

I'd guess $849/1049 or $899/1099.

terpsbball2002

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
So, what is modest here? A $30 increase? $50? $100? The Pros are expensive as it is, and I especially don’t see any reason for the 11” Pro’s price to go up considering it’s rumored to not get the mini-LED display. It better have something else besides a new processor or camera.
That would mean two straight years of price increases. I know there is a chip shortage and materials/labor is more expensive, but we have assume if mini led is coming out next year and there will be a substantial price increase there as well. At that point the iPad is a basically dead because you can buy an entry level Air or MacBook at around the same price.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Yeah it’s not likely to be $20 (it would be nice if it was though lol). Apple tends to increment prices in $100 blocks, so I’m going with $899/$1,099 starting. $50 would be a pleasant surprise, but they like their ‘$x99s’ more than their ‘$x49s’.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Anything is possible, I just can't see the iPad 8 getting an update so soon after the last update. Yes, iPad 3-4, I know, but still. Form factor works for the price range, A12 chip was a good addition, why update now?

Mini? Yes, it's been 2 years, so I see it getting some sort of update.

As others have said, iPad Pro getting a price increase? At that point, what's the benefit over an M1 Air?

Bad move if true, Apple.

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
Any 'Price Increase', no matter how 'Modest', will be a dagger in the heart of the iPad Pro. I'm already unable to sell them. I'm having clients who I pushed to iPads over a laptop, now a year or two in, start to gripe about all the things they can't do on the iPad that they know they could do on a laptop. When a 70-something sarcastically drops a "What's a computer?" with a wry expression in casual conversation about an Excel spreadsheet, Apple has lost their PR narrative.

The last "sellable" iPad Pro, for me, was the 11-inch 2018 closeouts in Spring of 2020… folks who snapped them up got a heckuva deal. There is no room for the current pricing, not with the "rock and a hard place" pricing with the Magic Keyboard and the M1 MacBook Air. Not unless Apple is telegraphing they are going to increase the pricing on the MacBooks. Which… would be even more unfortunate.

Just saw an 15-inch AMD-based Microsoft Laptop 3 certified refurb, with 10-finger touchscreen, on Woot for less than $700. Apple is quickly painting themselves into an unenviable corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.