Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
As others have noted, it’s going to be more challenging for updated iPad Pros this release, given how high the bar was set by the M1 Macs, in both performance and price. We know the performance of the last gen iPad Pros was already stellar, but the M1’s have upped the ante with extended battery life AND power/performance that I worry the new iPP’s are going to have a difficult time competing with. If they can’t bump the battery life up towards the 16 to 18 hour range, I’ll end up ordering an M1 MBA and keep my 2018 iPP 12.9” for after hours use.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
I would have bought a new 11" (even with a price increase) if the new screen was as good as has been rumored. But if only the larger size is getting an upgrade like that then the 11" is no longer a pro model - they might as well just have iPad Pro be 12.9" only.

new iMacs though - that's the real story. If they don't announce those then this event is going to be a dud. And if they do it's the only thing people are going to talk about - the good and the bad.

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
I am excited for any surprises. Although how are they surprises if they are listed in the report?

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I personally have no interest in an even more expensive iPad. My 10.5" iPad Pro already sits on the shelf due to it being a bit more unwieldy than I would like. I could get on board with an iPad Air Mini or iPad Pro Mini, but until one of those materializes, I'll continue using my XS Max as an iPad Mini stand-in.

I'm eager to see what new Mac designs Apple comes up with now that they aren't tethered by Intel CPUs and chipsets. A new iMac could easily be my first foray into desktop AS. After owning multiple generations of iMac, I finally got tired of looking at more or less the exact same design sitting on my desktop since my 24" C2D iMac and sold my latest 27" iMac. I replaced it with a 2018 Mac Mini (i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD), which is serviceable, but something less than a proper m:apple:gical experience (and considering what I paid for it, it should be really freaking magical).

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
As others have noted, it’s going to be more challenging for updated iPad Pros this release, given how high the bar was set by the M1 Macs, in both performance and price. We know the performance of the last gen iPad Pros was already stellar, but the M1’s have upped the ante with extended battery life AND power/performance that I worry the new iPP’s are going to have a difficult time competing with. If they can’t bump the battery life up towards the 16 to 18 hour range, I’ll end up ordering an M1 MBA and keep my 2018 iPP 12.9” for after hours use.

Well the M1 MBP weights 3lbs and the iPad Pro weighs 1lb. If you want 16-18hrs battery life the iPad Pro is gonna weigh 2lbs. IMO

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
I’ve had the air for several months now. Very well priced, works well, and I have had zero need for the more expensive pro.
I have a 2017 12.9” Pro and have been thinking about the Air because my current one is stacting to get a little flakey. Good enough for the kids, but a pain in the rear for work.

The new Pro’s better have some incredible tech or else I’m snatching up a new Air on the next sale.

Reactions: BlindBandit

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I am hoping they show the new Apple Pencil and Apple TV at this event.

I have the latest iPad Pro 12.9". It is a good device. A more powerful iPad Pro with a mini-LED screen should be mouth watering.

terpsbball2002

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
The MacBook Air and iPad Pro don’t compete in price, basically because they’re different devices.
Comparisons like “it doesn’t make sense that an iPad Pro costs more than a MacBook Air” are like “it doesn’t make sense that this sports car costs more than a sedan”.

(Most) People who want an iPad are not going to buy a Mac because it’s cheaper. They may share some functionality, but they’re different devices and therefore markets.

Many people don’t get that we like the iPad because it does many things way better than a Mac.
That’s true, but Apple marketed the iPad for years as a laptop replacement, now with price it seems like they are going back on that.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The price increase shouldn't be a surprise. Apple upped the iPad Air price. Logically price increase for the Pros is just a matter of time.

The M1 Macbooks are looking better by the minute.

Reactions: VaruLV and jimmy_uk

TonyTech

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
When the iPad was originally released I didn't see the point for a device like that. I looked at it as an oversized iPhone. Eventually I purchased a 4th gen iPad as a give to my parents which aren't tech savvy. They didn't want it so I decided to keep it. Today it is one of my favorite devices for content consumption. I specially like the Youtube app and how with a simple tap on the right or left side of the screen you can forward or rewind the video a few seconds.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
If Apple's going to raise the price on the iPad Pros, they better be improving iPadOS enough where it can justify the cost. As it is, they're already too expensive given how crippled iPadOS is. Then again, iPad Pro fans are clearly willing to pay $1,500+ for a setup that's not as capable as a base MacBook Air so what do I know.

jk1221

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2021
And the Apple TV hardware continues to languish. Until they do something their hardware will continue to appear in the Other category of top selling streaming devices.

That's an entirely different topic. You won't win set-top boxes competing $199 vs sub/well sub $100 level.

They need to get off this a box does everything train. Offer it still but thy need something under $100 to compete to gain any market share there. Or offer it half price with a TV+ subscription.

Few care about games on their TV box or need more specs/power. They're buying $50 or less sticks for a reason- a cheap way to get content on the TV; that's it.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
That’s true, but Apple marketed the iPad for years as a laptop replacement, now with price it seems like they are going back on that.
All that comparison with computers was bad strategy from Apple’s side. But it has nothing to do with pricing. The iPhone 12 Pro costs more than a MBA, and it can do less.
In my case I want an iPad, and I won’t consider a MBA regardless of price, because what I look in an iPad is things a Mac won’t ever do so well.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
If Apple's going to raise the price on the iPad Pros, they better be improving iPadOS enough where it can justify the cost. As it is, they're already too expensive given how crippled iPadOS is. Then again, iPad Pro fans are clearly willing to pay $1,500+ for a setup that's not as capable as a base MacBook Air so what do I know.
People are paying $1500 for an iPhone that does less than a $1000 MacBook Air, and it seems normal, so what’s the point? iPads are not Macs, are more capable in some points and less in others.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
If this is true, and I’m sure it is, Apple is slowly pricing me out of the eco-system..
While price increases do suck… it’s surprising to see people say that a $100 increase would be absurd. That’s not even 10%. And with everything going on in the world the last year or two, what has not gone up? Food, especially meat, has gone up considerably. Gas here in Washington has gone up about 40% in the last six months. Lumber is up about 300% in the last year. I would happily only have a 10% price increase in all the things.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Moreover, third-generation AirPods are expected to be teased at the event, but will not be launched immediately. The AirPods 3 are instead expected to be launched "in a separate virtual event in the early summer timeframe," which may be referring to WWDC, starting on June 7.
Why would they tease AirPods 3 if they are going to get their own event?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
As much as I love my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", I don't think I would buy another one any time soon, even though once you get used to that wonderful screen, it's hard to go back. It still does everything that I use it for perfectly fine and I have never felt it needs a more powerful CPU. Then again, I don't use an iPad to edit movies, or anything like that.

My wife got it for me for Xmas 2019, otherwise I would have bought myself a more reasonably priced iPad air. I can't see how Apple can justify a price increase at this point.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Sure. Well, maybe if every time Apple raised prices people didn't rush out to reward them for that, we wouldn't have this problem... :rolleyes:
For sure - these will sell out first batch supply within minutes then dates will slip hard.

There is alot of money sloshing about as people have been locked indoors so the pent up demand is huge. Apple know it.

Going all in on an ipad pro 12.9 with keyboard already puts it around macbook air money. A price increase pushes my towards the ipad air. Apple wins either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.