Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
So just coming back from a visit to Mona (Museum of Old and New Art), I figured now would be the perfect time to put this up as a competition.

As I've known for a long time and had further compounded from this past weekend's excursion - Art is VERY subjective. So let's see some of your artier stuff, or not even that...what you consider to be art (via photography of course).

Due to the nature of the subject, this weeks competition will not conclude in a critique with tips and commentary as per tradition. I will however say whether I think it's art or not.

SUBJECTIVE!!! :D

Same rules apply as always:

The photographs must be your own work.
  • Be creative and have fun.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW!
  • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Oh come on! Fine Art? I am lucky if I rank as no art! :)

OK, Art to me would be something that I enjoy looking at, something that I think would be timeless enough to hang on a wall and not age in a week, something that I enjoy staring at as it evokes emotions and memories.

Of all of my pictures, my Antelope Canyon shots are the closest to this for me. It was a bucket list trip and I like my pictures. Pretty sure they are not Fine Art, but they are certainly My Art. Regardless of positioning, hope you guys like to look at this one.

DSC07393.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So why do I think this is Art? Well apart from the fact I walk past a 3m canvas of it everyday I enter the office, I like it! After all isn't that what art is? Something that stirs an emotion?

20140607-_DSC3103 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

It was shot near where I live but the poppies only grew there for a few years as part of a conservation project. I guess that's something else I like about it. It's a snapshot in time that is gone now, never to be repeated at that location.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
In no way do I consider myself a "Fine Art Photographer". I still haven't actually been able to properly define what that entails anyway as I've seen almost every genre of photography referred to as "Fine Art Photography"! So here's my entry.

IMG_4212-X3.jpg

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
A really great topic in which I just have to participate even so I cannot run the next contest. So in case you like my picture - honorable mention is fine.

Actually I take pictures just for the 2 reasons - to document my life and to create great art. On the artsy side I prefer landscapes mostly then structures and lines. I think that's about it.

To select a picture today is quite difficult but I picked on from the structure and lines that combines it a bit with landscapes. I kept it in color and even enhanced those a bit but I think it would look great in be as well. Also I think it would look great if printed as a poster.

Bild 3.jpg

Reactions: No. 44 and OzBok

Foogoofish

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
London
Forgive the small image size, I had to grab it off an internet backup! Love the concept, and hopefully I'm in time. Taken at Spa Francorchamps at the six hour classic car race. A great chance to get in and around the F1 track - without so much security so you can get a great look at some of the cars.
_53440773_53440772.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Wednesday was the last time he posted anything on MR. When this has happened in the past someone has stepped up to do the judging. Volunteers??? Has anyone PMed The Bad Guy?

Reactions: kenoh

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
@Alexander.Of.Oz was runner up last week. Do we let the burden of sentencing fall to him to judge a winner In @The Bad Guy absence?

I imagine @The Bad Guy is just busy with a few jobs on...- hopefully

Or do we give it 24 hours, see who has the most likes and call it that way?

Or...

Do we have @CmdrLaForge get a rollover from last week and judges?

I think it is good for Alexander.Of.Oz to do it now rather than dragging this out any more.

Reactions: kenoh

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I think it is good for Alexander.Of.Oz to do it now rather than dragging this out any more.
That's hardly fair is his submission could be in the running.

I would give it 24 hours from an agreed timed start and go for likes. That way is more democratic - if everyone chooses their top 3 to like, then any ties can be judged by someone who didn't submit.

Cheers :)

Hugh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I would give it 24 hours from an agreed timed start and go for likes. That way is more democratic - if everyone chooses their top 3 to like, then any ties can be judged by someone who didn't submit.

Hugh

I cant comment as I think mine is scoring well right now.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I cant comment as I think mine is scoring well right now.
Well, to be fair I haven't looked at the likes at all, so I made the suggestion without knowing who would be in the lead.
However the idea is for anybody (even those who did not submit) to show their opinion over a fixed period.

Hugh

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013

Hugh
i like your suggestion Hugh and have cast my top three! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.