Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
For this week, I would like you to show me a photograph on the theme of fruit.

That’s it; I’ve made it simple in the hopes we stimulate interest and creativity.

As always, standard rules apply:

The photographs must be your own work.

You may only submit one photo per contest.

No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.

This contest runs for one week, starting now.

At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

The 1st place winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Above all, have fun 🍒 🍓 🍇 🍎 🍉 🍑 🍊 🍋 🍍 🍌 🥑 🍏 🍈 🍐 🥝

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: Clix Pix and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
well, since we were talking about this recently....

Web_February_14_2013_001.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I was actually ignoring the lack of entries to see what happens.

I fear the weekly contest is losing popularity :(

Or is it my choice of theme; I thought it would be a wide ranging subject that anyone would be able to deal with.

Hugh

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I’ve had a rough day today, so, sorry, I will be brief…

@mollyc - Interesting that you used a light background for your shot, which I’ll be honest I’ve never tried. I’ve only ever attempted this kind of shot with a black background.
However, it is well executed and looks superb.

@Janichsan - Very colourful and symmetrical rendition, a nice shot well taken.

@thirsty_monk - The most tasty looking fruity photo of the lot, certainly the one I’d most like to eat.

@oblomow - I won’t be eating this as you’ve already had a lump out of it. At first I thought you were joking with me but look, I can see a tiny morsel of apple 🍏

So that nobody gets left out the awards are:-

First Place - @mollyc (I’d like a talk through of the setup and settings etc. if possible please)

Joint Second - @Janichsan , @thirsty_monk and @oblomow for his cheek.

Thank you very much,

Hugh

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Oh, thanks, Hugh! Sorry you're having a rough day.

So I took that image in 2013 and I honestly don't recall what I did. However, I was smart enough to take and not delete a pullback shot, so happy to share that with you. It would seem that I set up against white seamless and used softboxes on either side of the vase (which is really an ice bucket). I also notice a flash on a stool behind the ladder hitting the backdrop to blow it out.

Based on the timestamp of the photos, I was doing this alone - my kids would have been in school. I'm not sure how I managed to drop the lemon without being in the image; in the SOOC of an alternate image I can see at the very top what must have been a finger tip. I did use my macro lens (105mm) so I probably was able to stand out of the way enough since it was a long lens; I must have been next to one of the softboxes, probably between it and the seamless. My Nikons all have intervalometers, so I'd guess I set it up to take a whack load of images in a row and just hoped for the best. I only have two in my catalog and I'm missing about 50 before these that I deleted, based on file number.

Web_February_14_2013_001-4.jpg

Web_February_14_2013_001-6.jpg

Settings for the actual drop shot were ISO 100 | f/11 | 1/60.

I also found this one (which was the set I took before the one above), which is one that I must have used seltzer for because I have the lemon suspended on toothpicks. I guess I got adventurous and decided I wanted natural bubbles and just started dropping it into a larger vessel. 😂

Web_February_14_2013_001-5.jpg

Web_February_14_2013_002.jpg

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks for that Molly, food for thought ;)
I might have to get the fish tank out again soon.

Hugh

Reactions: mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.