Weird Exercise Problem. :-/

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appleguy123, Jun 13, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm kind of out of shape, and I'm using the summer to get in better shape. I'm not heavy, I'm actually underweight (5"8' 107 lbs).

Anyway, I was jumping rope pretty fast (2.5 turns a second or so) for about 10 minutes, when all of a sudden I felt an intense pulsing on the front of the left of my head, followed by an instant headache. I quit jump-roping and the headache went away a few minutes later.

Is this a problem? Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

*I'm not on any caffeine, I've recently eliminated it from my diet.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

5'8", 107 lbs?!?! Eat something!:p

It's happened to me before, but usually when I was lifting heavy weights. I found that if I continued exercising, the pulsating headache would intensify.

I find that if I take a few days off from exercising, I'm back to normal the net time I exercise. It's only happened to me 3-4 times in the past 10 or so years of 3-5 times a week of exercise.

That being said, what you are experiencing may be similar, or it may be more serious. If it persists, I highly suggest you get it checked out by a doctor.

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm eating better now, though I wasn't during the school year. I didn't really have any desire to eat during school because I was so busy.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

5. Surely Guest

Surely

You have to eat more.....but make sure it's healthy stuff. Now that you're starting to exercise, you need more calories to fuel your workout.

6. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm eating 1600 calories (about double what I was before) a day. Do you think that's enough? Eating more than that is actually pretty tough. I never feel the sensation of hunger, so forcing that much food down is already pretty hard.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Pacquiao eats 7,000 calories a day so...

--

Seriously telling you to eat some peanut butter. It'll help you gain weight and muscle while you work out.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that you weren't eating nearly enough before. 1600 is a good start, especially since you're saying that you've doubled what you were eating before. You're going to need to slowly increase your food intake to a more reasonable level.

Who's going to run the WW game if you wither away?!?:eek::p

I think renewed works for the peanut butter lobby.

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

All of my posts would just have to look like this. That is the rule for posthumous posts, right? :D
    EDIT: I'm eating Ben & Jerry's right now. That counts for something? Right?

10. Surely Guest

Surely

lol

Absolutely. At this point, get the calories however you can. I'd just avoid processed and fast foods. Ice cream works.

I heard that you might benefit from eating peanut butter, but I can't think of where I heard that.......

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

:) I've actually been making most of my food from scratch, because I have the time to do so. It's helping me to eat more now that I can see eating as an activity(involving preparing, cooking, et. C) rather than a need which I don't feel.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I recommend eating a sandwich. Actually I recommend eating many, many sandwiches. ;)

13. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

:) Given the cast of characters so far, maybe this thread should just become the new WW game thread. :D
    btw, you can look for that tomorrow.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It probably should. And it's about time. Plutonius hasn't accused me of anything in days. I kind of miss it.

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm only taking 11 players, so you and Pluto better sign up quick. ;)

16. TSE macrumors 68030

Number one, why are you doing intense cardio when you are underweight? :confused:

Number two, this happens to me when I am not breathing correctly while doing heavy lifts. Perhaps your body wasn't supplying enough oxygen to the brain. Common issue. Drink water and breathe more.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

DoN'T fOrgEt ThIs:

[​IMG]

18. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I do cardio for two reasons:

1. I like the way it makes me feel afterward
    2. I want to be able to do track next year, but I don't have the endurance for it ATM. I'm trying to strengthen my heart for it.

You are probably right about the breathing thing. I don't breathe much when I'm jumping rope. I don't know why that is.

19. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Ummm how were you surviving on 800 a day? Seriously that's flirting with anorexia. I plugged in some values on this calculator, and (assuming your around 21ish) 1600 calories will still see you LOSING weight..

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Depends on the activity involved, however, the average 2000 calories a day you hear about is to maintain a healthy weight (usually to maintain the weight you have).

I know I said peanut butter but I'm sticking to it.

Appleguy, if you want to gain weight you are going to have to intake more calories than you are burning. With a BMI of around 16 you need to be eating 2300-2400 calories per day, seriously. You only need to gain around 12 lbs to be considered healthy, however, that still seems small to me. I am 6'0" 185 and my BMI is 25 (overweight) however I am not as far as the eye is concerned if you see me, muscle adds weight.

21. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

McDonalds for breakfast, Burger King for lunch and KFC for dinner.

22. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

No. :)
    I ate some Peanut Butter for you, renewed.

23. kapolani macrumors regular

You need to hydrate. Then hydrate some more. Eat properly. Would you expect to drive 100 miles on 1 gallon of gasoline? The body works the same way. You need fuel to perform.

Back in my military days we would eat 10k+ calories a day during training.

24. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There's your answer. Your body is not used to physical stress, let it build up and you won't get that anymore. Sometimes low sugar levels can also cause headache while exercising.