Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Hi!

I got my new iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday and love it, it’s gorgeous, the blue colour is beautiful. However under the back frosted glass there is a weird spot, I’ve tried everything to get rid of it but it’s just there, does anyone else have this on the back of their 13 Pro Max, and do you think I should return it or suffer it?

F1394698-C2B2-40B3-8FBB-6D15A4ED8A10.jpeg
429EC32B-0F99-4CAB-9018-B81B00EDB053.jpeg

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
It looks like a tiny chip, due to the current IPhone demand I’m not sure if apple would be able to replace right away or you would have to send yours back and wait a few weeks ? how do you feel about it?

Reactions: EdShort

abcedfg

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2021
I had this on my 12 Pro Max and thought it was under the glass. I applied some pressure with my finger and rubbed and it eventually came off.

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
It looks like a tiny chip, due to the current IPhone demand I’m not sure if apple would be able to replace right away or you would have to send yours back and wait a few weeks ? how do you feel about it?

hello! I thought at first it was a chip but looking at it under different lights and angles and running my nail over the area I can’t feel any chips or see anything chipped in the glass. I don’t want to have to wait for a new one as I got it from a carrier I would probably have to return and wait. It’s annoying but I don’t know what to do haha

Reactions: AlexJ092

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
I had this on my 12 Pro Max and thought it was under the glass. I applied some pressure with my finger and rubbed and it eventually came off.

I will try this, thank you!

I agree. It looks like a tiny imperfection in the finish. More than likely, it will stay that way and not get worse unless you pick at it or keep messing with it. That is barely noticeable. Keep your phone.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I think I will keep it as I can’t handle the wait haha, don’t think it’s a chip as I can’t feel a chip or see one holding it in different angles. Just me being picky I think haha, mainly wondered if anyone else had this.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
hello! I thought at first it was a chip but looking at it under different lights and angles and running my nail over the area I can’t feel any chips or see anything chipped in the glass. I don’t want to have to wait for a new one as I got it from a carrier I would probably have to return and wait. It’s annoying but I don’t know what to do haha
Question. Do you put a case on it? Also such a minor issue that I would not consider exchanging imo. You could be lucky and get one that is good Or you may get one that might be worse than the one you had (I.e scratches/dents on the stainless steel.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I understand ?! Have you gone for Applecare+, that way if it is a chip and it does get worse you can put a claim in for repair? Might be worth looking into and for now find a nice case which will cover it up ?

• Angry
Reactions: Givmeabrek

DaffiDuck

macrumors member
Hi!

I got my new iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday and love it, it’s gorgeous, the blue colour is beautiful. However under the back frosted glass there is a weird spot, I’ve tried everything to get rid of it but it’s just there, does anyone else have this on the back of their 13 Pro Max, and do you think I should return it or suffer it?

View attachment 1846804 View attachment 1846808

If this was me it would be sent back right away the OCD !!! Also for paying that much you should not put up with it. :p

alexlovesmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2021
Malaysia
I have a slight discolouration on the back of my 12 Pro Max that was on the phone since I bought it last December. I bought my phone from an Apple Premium Reseller since Malaysia does not have any physical Apple Stores, only the online Apple Store is available. I sent it to the service centre of the said Premium Reseller, I even called Apple's hotline for the region, and in the end I was told I couldn't get it replaced for a new one, but I did get a statement from the service centre saying the discolouration is not my fault.

I guess if you're fine with it, then keep it, but if you bought it directly from an Apple Store and wish to change it, by all means, why not go change it?

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
I’ve noticed another small spot like this on the back of the phone, I’m gonna keep it because I can’t be bothered with the return. But does anyone else’s have this?.

Reactions: JM

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
I understand ?! Have you gone for Applecare+, that way if it is a chip and it does get worse you can put a claim in for repair? Might be worth looking into and for now find a nice case which will cover it up ?
I havent got the Apple care! Do you know if it covers scuffs and scratches? I’ll have to have a look. Thank you!

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Not to be rude, but if they exchange it you will find another flaw on your new device if you look close enough. I would feel embarrassed complaining about such a tiny imperfection to the genius. It‘s a mass produced product after all with certain production tolerances.

I think you’re right to be honest, I just get so annoyed but little things like this haha

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
I have a slight discolouration on the back of my 12 Pro Max that was on the phone since I bought it last December. I bought my phone from an Apple Premium Reseller since Malaysia does not have any physical Apple Stores, only the online Apple Store is available. I sent it to the service centre of the said Premium Reseller, I even called Apple's hotline for the region, and in the end I was told I couldn't get it replaced for a new one, but I did get a statement from the service centre saying the discolouration is not my fault.

I guess if you're fine with it, then keep it, but if you bought it directly from an Apple Store and wish to change it, by all means, why not go change it?
Hey! Was the discolouration same as on my iPhone 13 pro max?

alexlovesmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2021
Malaysia
Hey! Was the discolouration same as on my iPhone 13 pro max?
Nah. Mine, which looked like the silver paint was peeling off, was on the lower left of the back of the phone, just above the speaker. Since I couldn't get it sorted, I decided to wait until the 13 Pro Max is released in Malaysia to trade my 12 Pro Max in for the 13 Pro Max.
6c50c58b-4b2a-4a60-aed8-07043c62ad0d.jpg

usershar

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
Can you update us on what happens at the genius appt? I have the same issue on mine except it is 2 spots. Wondering what they would do and if it is worth my time. Thanks!

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Can you update us on what happens at the genius appt? I have the same issue on mine except it is 2 spots. Wondering what they would do and if it is worth my time. Thanks!
Hey, would you send pics please. I’ll let you know what happens at the genius appointment which is today

usershar

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
Hey, would you send pics please. I’ll let you know what happens at the genius appointment which is today
I only have this phone currently unfortunately :/. My spots are located between the Apple logo and camera unit portion and look exactly like yours. Thanks for updating

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I wouldnt bother returning it for another. If it’s not affecting the phones performance and you can’t see it with a case on id live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.