Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
Well, the good part is that you'll definitely know which phone is yours if ever misplace it!

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
Not to be rude, but if they exchange it you will find another flaw on your new device if you look close enough. I would feel embarrassed complaining about such a tiny imperfection to the genius. It‘s a mass produced product after all with certain production tolerances.

If Apple isn't embarrassed to charge the $ they do for these phones (that have huge margins), then I wouldn't feel embarrassed for returning one for whatever reason I deem necessary.

Last edited:

dev3x

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2021
hey, do you have pictures of yours?
Here you go
6B80B4A8-4FFF-4655-B7C4-83A323197D89.jpeg

I’ve decided to keep the phone.
2 out of the three dots were dirt, so this small dot.( seems like a tiny bubble Or chip ) is the only thing what this phone has. You can’t even see it on daylight. It isnt really this much in reality, i think its the shadow.. its not this dark, you can only see it with cold light at 100%.
I mean there is literally nothing. Im a guy who literally search for flaws, but there is nothing No micro scratch at stainless steel. Nothing. The phone is in an absolute perfect condition l, besides this tiny dot.

I will not risk it getting a phone with scratches or something else

Last edited:

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Here you go View attachment 1852908
I’ve decided to keep the phone.
2 out of the three dots were dirt, so this small dot.( seems like a tiny bubble Or chip ) is the only thing what this phone has. You can’t even see it on daylight. It isnt really this much in reality, i think its the shadow.. its not this dark, you can only see it with cold light at 100%.
I mean there is literally nothing. Im a guy who literally search for flaws, but there is nothing No micro scratch at stainless steel. Nothing. The phone is in an absolute perfect condition l, besides this tiny dot.

I will not risk it getting a phone with scratches or something else

I am exactly the same and tbh I’m sure if most of the people really looked at the back of their 13 pro they would see the same, as my replacement also has this.

usershar

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
I am exactly the same and tbh I’m sure if most of the people really looked at the back of their 13 pro they would see the same, as my replacement also has this.
Yeah not gonna lie am re considering. Will likely cancel the genius appointment. I documented it via their chat so if it really does get worse later on I have that as leverage.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Noticed this on my wife's 256 pro max Sierra blue model. But it actually turned out to be a debris just stuck onto it, it did actually come off once I sprayed water (onto the cloth and not directly). So it may not actually be a defect. So try rubbing it off, it may just be a stuck debris.

Reactions: EdShort

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Noticed this on my wife's 256 pro max Sierra blue model. But it actually turned out to be a debris just stuck onto it, it did actually come off once I sprayed water (onto the cloth and not directly). So it may not actually be a defect. So try rubbing it off, it may just be a stuck debris.

tried this and it stayed, glad it worked for you though!

Reactions: Sakura1210

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
All I can say is “wow” at this thread

:cool:

therapy anyone???
It’s nothing new though..always posts like this every year. People literally look for issues as opposed to just enjoying their new device. It’s a damn phone for crying out loud. The way people obsess over them you would think it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: dstew201

EdShort

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Just an update for anyone else who has this,I’m guessing this is affecting a lot of iPhone 13’s because my brother got his 13 pro today and it has a couple of these marks and when looking it’s almost like a shadow from the matte affect on the glass. So I’m guessing it’s normal.

Jay_0808

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2021
I have these kind of weird spots on my 12Pro.. tried cleaning it with cloth and alcohol swab but it is still there.. its like the paint is chipped or something..

Attachments

• IMG_9859.jpeg
    IMG_9859.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_9860.jpeg
    IMG_9860.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 1,145
Reactions: EdShort

Sakura1210

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
OMG I found the same spot on the back of my 13 pro and I thought I was the only one. I was even thinking about reselling my 13 pro and get a new phone. I know I sound crazy. I’m sorry but I have OCD and these things drive me insane.

Sakura1210

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
All I can say is “wow” at this thread

:cool:

therapy anyone???
I know you think getting annoyed by these trivial things is weird or ridiculous. But for people like me or have mild OCD, these things can bother us a lot. Seeing beautiful render videos by Apple have lead me to have certain expectations about their products. Honestly I’m a perfectionist and it bugs me to find tiny flaws like these on an expensive device. Also I take really good care of my Apple products so yes these are so annoying. we’re all learning and trying to let it go. It’s easier said than done tho.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Hi!

I got my new iPhone 13 Pro Max yesterday and love it, it’s gorgeous, the blue colour is beautiful. However under the back frosted glass there is a weird spot, I’ve tried everything to get rid of it but it’s just there, does anyone else have this on the back of their 13 Pro Max, and do you think I should return it or suffer it?

View attachment 1846804 View attachment 1846808
you'll always know that this is your phone. It's got character.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

amanapple29

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2017
Ahhhhhh same time of the year again. Millions of people getting their iPhones amidst Global Smartphone Chip crisis and then critiquing their iPhone’s using a magnifying glass. Ask yourself if the iPhone you’re using is imparting the experience it’s meant to. Ask yourself when the honeymoon phase babying your iPhone shall get over. Ask yourself the duration of gratification you will extract knowing that you have a perfect iPhone and then losing your mind over a speckle of dust under the display or the camera lens on one fine day while cleaning your iPhone and then bombarding this forum with SOS texts. Ask yourself if knowing that others are in the same boat as you are assists you in overcoming the ever proliferating anxieties. When you will have prudent answers to all these questions you shall be at peace. A few pointers for all those who have OCD and what I have learnt over all these years :

1) iPhones are expensive and so are all other devices, expecting to have a perfect device is reasonable but in tech “Nothing is perfect”, things never stay the same, out of the box a couple of dots on the back isn’t hampering your mobile phone experience. If it does get it replaced by going lengths.

2) Everyone if they microscopically assess their phone would end up spotting something that they could potentially lose their sleep over. Your time is valuable. Next year or the year after you might be prepping yourself the latest and greatest from Apple and forget how you lost sleep over the one you bought last year. Heck we pass on the phones to our parents or grandparents and they couldn’t be bothered. That’s where maturity shines.

3) By procrastinating about replacements, also ask yourself if you would really get what you want, replacement ordered, no dots on the back, alas tinted display, moreover the volume rocker is loose,I need to send this one back too, onto the next replacement, scratched stainless steel frame, Oh nooooooooo, onto the next, Dusted Apple Logo, marks visible under certain lighting conditions. It will be a never ending process.

4) Each individual is blessed with their own capacity to evaluate their devices. I could see see something that others didn’t even if they tried real hard. Eg : spots on the back frosted glass visible under certain light conditions.

Please don’t get too bothered, the gratification is temporary, you wouldn’t even care after a month or so and bothering yourself much isn’t justified

Hope this helps 🙂

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Ahhhhhh same time of the year again. Millions of people getting their iPhones amidst Global Smartphone Chip crisis and then critiquing their iPhone’s using a magnifying glass. Ask yourself if the iPhone you’re using is imparting the experience it’s meant to. Ask yourself when the honeymoon phase babying your iPhone shall get over. Ask yourself the duration of gratification you will extract knowing that you have a perfect iPhone and then losing your mind over a speckle of dust under the display or the camera lens on one fine day while cleaning your iPhone and then bombarding this forum with SOS texts. Ask yourself if knowing that others are in the same boat as you are assists you in overcoming the ever proliferating anxieties. When you will have prudent answers to all these questions you shall be at peace. A few pointers for all those who have OCD and what I have learnt over all these years :

1) iPhones are expensive and so are all other devices, expecting to have a perfect device is reasonable but in tech “Nothing is perfect”, things never stay the same, out of the box a couple of dots on the back isn’t hampering your mobile phone experience. If it does get it replaced by going lengths.

2) Everyone if they microscopically assess their phone would end up spotting something that they could potentially lose their sleep over. Your time is valuable. Next year or the year after you might be prepping yourself the latest and greatest from Apple and forget how you lost sleep over the one you bought last year. Heck we pass on the phones to our parents or grandparents and they couldn’t be bothered. That’s where maturity shines.

3) By procrastinating about replacements, also ask yourself if you would really get what you want, replacement ordered, no dots on the back, alas tinted display, moreover the volume rocker is loose,I need to send this one back too, onto the next replacement, scratched stainless steel frame, Oh nooooooooo, onto the next, Dusted Apple Logo, marks visible under certain lighting conditions. It will be a never ending process.

4) Each individual is blessed with their own capacity to evaluate their devices. I could see see something that others didn’t even if they tried real hard. Eg : spots on the back frosted glass visible under certain light conditions.

Please don’t get too bothered, the gratification is temporary, you wouldn’t even care after a month or so and bothering yourself much isn’t justified

Hope this helps 🙂
What a great post, just edit it please to include screen gaps. 😂

810Teams

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2022
バンコク、タイ
Hi! This might be late but I also have this issue.

Mine is a silver iPhone 13 Pro and it has 2 weird spots just like yours.

Despite using a case (transparent), I've just found these weird spots today after purchasing it 2 days ago, and I thought I caused these spots at some point I didn't realize despite how cautious I was with my new iPhone. I even watched JerryRigEverything's videos on YouTube to see how durable the backside is, and well, the backside seems durable enough that it should never scratch if you don't try to.

Not sure if I should be happy or sad knowing other people also have the same issue as me, but at least I'm relieved that these spots are not my fault thanks to your forum!

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
I have a single speck too, on the back glass of my Sierra Blue iPhone 13 Pro Max, noticed it quite awhile back.

It is barely noticeable unless I am making an effort to look for it under direct light. It is also not tactility observable.

Thought it made my iPhone slightly unique, after reading this thread, I guess not.

*Edited as I wrote black in place of back

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.