Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.

I have also reproduce this by stopping use and re-starting on and off, and the taste immediately comes back!

thoughts? am I alone? LOL

UPDATE & SOLUTION: after scrubbing the MacBook body hard a few times with a rag and Isopropyl alcohol, the keyboard area and body of my machine, this appear to solve the issue. sharing in case others find this thread in the future.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
OK, this is gonna sound crazy, but after using my 13 inch MacBook Air, M3 in 'midnight' for 10 minutes or longer, I begin to notice a weird taste in my mouth, slightly grainy and metallic. I can't tell if I might be inhaling some fumes from it, or I am absorbing some chemicals from the finish through my hands (midnight w/ anodization). I have other MacBooks in the house (none in this finish or generation), and have never experienced this before.
Have you ever experienced this with contact with any other metallic object? My (highly uneducated) guess is some kind of skin reaction, versus anything to do with fumes.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Have you ever experienced this with contact with any other metallic object? My (highly uneducated) guess is some kind of skin reaction, versus anything to do with fumes.

I agree with this, I think I am tasting something from the outer finish that is being absorbed through my hands. Smell wise, it has the normal new MacBook smell, nothing out of the ordinary.

and agree with others on scientific approach. that said, when I use my space gray m2 Air 15" vs this guy, there is no sensation. I think I should maybe test out a silver m3 air for a really good side by side to see if it's the finish.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Assuming you haven't suddenly gained some really inconvenient super powers, have you tried using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse/trackpad? See if not physically touching the MacBook Air helps. If it still happens, try using it further and further away, maybe even connecting an external display if you have to. 👨‍⚕️

Evolving Mind

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2022
I agree with this, I think I am tasting something from the outer finish that is being absorbed through my hands. Smell wise, it has the normal new MacBook smell, nothing out of the ordinary.

and agree with others on scientific approach. that said, when I use my space gray m2 Air 15" vs this guy, there is no sensation. I think I should maybe test out a silver m3 air for a really good side by side to see if it's the finish.
You could try out other m3 models, perhaps its actually the new coating against fingerprints, which m2s don`t have, who knows.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
While I haven't heard of this happening before, and I don't experience that with my 15-inch midnight MBA, I wonder if it is possible the coating in the OP's unit is off-gassing. If it is, like 'new car smell' it will almost certainly dissipate fairly quickly.

Geekett

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2021
It might be a kind of poisening with the coating. I would stop using it and try to get a scientific/lab/doctor advice ?

Reactions: izzy0242mr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.