Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teewuane

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
I think this is pretty common with anxiety and migraines. Do you have any history of migraines or anxiety? What are you doing on the laptop? Work? Could the refresh rate be triggering a migraine? Are you stressed out? I'm not a doctor.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
hey guys, decided to stop being a human Guinea pig and returned it and swapped it out for a silver M3 MacBook air (just in case I was consuming something toxic)

to recap so far:

1. compared to my 15" m2 air and 16" m1max, which have no taste LOL, within minutes on the mightnight machine I would taste this grainy dry, slightly metallic taste in my mouth when using and without being plugged in. I reproduced it 5+ times (i.e. every time I touched it) and it went away quickly with my legacy machines. weirdly enough, I could sometimes taste it within a single minute of touching it. (have you ever touched gasoline before, you can taste is instantly?)
  2. After exchanging it for a silver M3 Air, the experience is significantly decreased, I'd say by ~80% gone, however, and I know this sounds nutty, I still get is just slightly with this new machine too!

DOES anyone know if the silver machine also has the new anodization process or is it only midnight?

I'm going to go find some gloves next and see if that takes the silver experience down to 0%...

any other m3 air owners on this thread

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I think this is pretty common with anxiety and migraines. Do you have any history of migraines or anxiety? What are you doing on the laptop? Work? Could the refresh rate be triggering a migraine? Are you stressed out? I'm not a doctor.
zero history. meditate daily. virtually zero stress or anxiety.

again, I have been using a 15" air and 16" m1max daily with zero problems!

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
hey guys, decided to stop being a human Guinea pig and returned it and swapped it out for a silver M3 MacBook air (just in case I was consuming something toxic)

to recap so far:

1. compared to my 15" m2 air and 16" m1max, which have no taste LOL, within minutes on the mightnight machine I would taste this grainy dry, slightly metallic taste in my mouth when using and without being plugged in. I reproduced it 5+ times (i.e. every time I touched it) and it went away quickly with my legacy machines. weirdly enough, I could sometimes taste it within a single minute of touching it. (have you ever touched gasoline before, you can taste is instantly?)
  2. After exchanging it for a silver M3 Air, the experience is significantly decreased, I'd say by ~80% gone, however, and I know this sounds nutty, I still get is just slightly with this new machine too!

DOES anyone know if the silver machine also has the new anodization process or is it only midnight?

I'm going to go find some gloves next and see if that takes the silver experience down to 0%...

any other m3 air owners on this thread
Fun fact: If you rub garlic on the bottom of your foot, you will taste it very quickly.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
You should maybe get the Apple 70 watt charge and the Power Adapter Extension Cable which has a ground. What you are tasting may be the result of a small electrical current. The grounded power supply may solve the issue. The charger supplied with the MacBook Air does not have a ground.

If that combination solves the issue, you need to have your electrical system checked for a ground loop, reversed neutral somewhere, or some other wiring issue.
Excellent point!

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Are you using it on battery or plugged in? There was a grounding issue with MacBooks when using 2-pin chargers (with no ground) - I had this previously, experiencing it as a tingling sensation when touching the palmrest or trackpad. I can imagine that in some people this current could generate a metallic taste via dental fillings: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/62046/Metallic+taste+from+surface+of+laptop

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
Nonsense.
Dude I can't tell if you're being obstinent on purpose, but I'm in medical school, and here is what UpToDate says about migraine auras

Typical migraine auras are characterized by gradual development, duration no longer than one hour, a mix of positive and negative features, and complete reversibility [95]. Positive symptoms indicate active discharge from central nervous system neurons. Typical positive symptoms can be visual (eg, bright lines, shapes, objects), auditory (eg, tinnitus, noises, music), somatosensory (eg, burning, pain, paresthesia), or motor (eg, jerking or repetitive rhythmic movements). Negative symptoms indicate an absence or loss of function, such as loss of vision, hearing, feeling, or ability to move a part of the body. Auras are most often visual but can also be sensory, verbal, or motor disturbances.

The aura of migraine usually develops gradually over more than five minutes. Less often, the aura develops more acutely (ie, in less than five minutes). The acute onset of aura makes confusion with a transient ischemic attack (TIA) or stroke more likely. In one case series, four patients (2 percent) had exclusively acute-onset visual aura [96].

Reactions: SkimPappa

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
The gloves seem to help, remaining taste is gone after switching to gloves.

if you feel the new Macbooks compared to the last gen, they have this very slightly grainy texture, whereas the previous ones feel super smooth.

has anyone here confirmed if apple applied the anodization process to all Macbooks (not just midnight) to back up this theory?

ajergome

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2022
static electricity/ozone? does grounding it make a difference? does it still happen when connected to the charger?

Reactions: brandoman

jeroenvip

macrumors regular
May 13, 2017
This is a common problem with these kinda of MacBooks. You are not alone and many others are experiencing the same thing. People don't understand how important this case is. And many think .. well... you know.. But here is a solution for this problem. Trust me, it helps. Get yourself something that removes the stains and electric magnetic fields from the laptop. This is a perfect job for the apple cleaning cloth, only 29,99 at your local Apple Store.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
This is a common problem with these kinda of MacBooks. You are not alone and many others are experiencing the same thing. People don't understand how important this case is. And many think .. well... you know.. But here is a solution for this problem. Trust me, it helps. Get yourself something that removes the stains and electric magnetic fields from the laptop. This is a perfect job for the apple cleaning cloth, only 29,99 at your local Apple Store.
that is a good point, maybe getting a skin for the palm rest area and top and bottom, or I just skip this generation and send t cook an email to fix their ****

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.