Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AveryWrubleski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Hey Everyone,

I have a bazar question I would like to ask pertaining to folder organization problems, which effects my OCD. For well over a year now, some of my folders appear to be out of order and randomly positioned. This happpens in certain sections of my external hard drives file path.

For the most part, I do not like using the List/Column viewer option in finder. I prefer the icon viewer because that is the way my brain likes to work ? Here are example images of what Im experiencing.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I do realize that if I did use the column viewer that this wouldn't be an issue. And I sometimes do re-sort my construed folders (using all sort options) to temporarily fix while I am using the drive. They will go back to being construed upon ejecting and reconnecting the drive.

I am using a 6TB G-drive 5200RPM. Any help solving this non sense would be greatly appreciated!

Avery

AveryWrubleski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Can't seem to fix this permanently for both of my problem areas. When I open the remaining messed up folder (STOCK), I right click and select "show view options". Then I change it to "group by name". But as soon as I select that option, "Use as defaults" button at the bottom becomes un-clickable. Not highlighted.

So between the two images I posted, the second one will not stay in order after ejecting my hard drive.

I CAN group by name selecting the gear icon tab in finder, however this change is not permanent. Only during the life of my hard drive being powered on.

Finder.jpg

View Options.jpg

[automerge]1585584547[/automerge]
EDIT, I managed to get the "Use as Defaults" button to become highlighted/clickable again. Did this by changing "Group By" and "Sort By" to Kind. I selected Use as Defaults at the bottom. Rebooted my drive to see the changes and it still did not work.

Strange because like I said, the other folder has sorted correctly, permanently.

LAST.jpg

Last edited:

AveryWrubleski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Is this drive or folder for some reason write protected?
It is not protected what so ever. Soon to be encrypted though.
[automerge]1585668248[/automerge]

FIXED! OCD put to rest.....

Thank you Moakesy, I simply ran the Sudo command given and let it scan my iMac/Removable drive. I gave it permission to remove .DS files in all locations besides certain irrelevant apps. Worked like a charm =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Moakesy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.