Well, I got robbed.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Samarium, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hello everyone. I got robbed today. So, no iPhone. No MacBook. My dad just gave me his white 2-week old MacBook. I have a Time Machine backup, so what do I do? A Time Machine backup or a Migration Assistant? So.. thanks.:(

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Man, that totally sucks!!!!!!! :( :eek:

Either way should restore your data. I'd recover from the Time Machine if you were doing a clean install on your new MacBook. If you're just going to add your account back without reinstalling OS X, I'd use Migration Assistant.

(I'd also wait til you got a few replies before you do anything...) ;)

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Use Migration Assistant. It has an option for restoring from a Time Machine backup.

Sorry to hear about the robbery. Also, make sure that you call AT&T (assuming you're in the US) and tell them that your phone got stolen. You don't want to be responsible for roaming / international / overage charges on your iPhone.

Hopefully whoever took it gets caught and punished. People like that suck.

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

5. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I wanted to kill someone too, but they were 6 of them. There was nothing at all that I could do. Thanks God my parent's and I are ok. So, tomorrow since I just found out that the outlet for my external HD was in my bag is missing, I'll do it by Migration Assistant. Thank's for your replies!

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ there were six of them and you where home? was it at night? scary! i feel for you. do you have insurance?

another vote for restore using Time Machine. but if you want to feel 'clean' with a fresh install use Migration Assistant. it will only restore your user/all user files and not any system files.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

People that steal like that destroy America...kids in my school steal all the time and last year somebody stole my phone and iPod. 2 weeks later the kid was arrested and the cops called my house and asked if I was the owner. I got the phone and iPod back and the kid got kicked out of school because he had other stolen items and 2 ounces of pot.

8. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Wow, that's terrible!

So they actually broke into your house? :eek:

10. LondonGooner macrumors regular

despite the frustration youre feeling on losing youre stuff, im glad your safe. still sucks though.

11. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Where do you get that this happened at his home? I was under the impression he was mugged.

12. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

13. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Sorry for not posting any updates in a while. I don't live in the U.S. I live in Central America. I was at my dad's office and they just appeared. Thank's God we are okay.

I really don't know which of the two ways go. I don't think Time Machine would be ideal because of my new MacBook being a 2.4, current generation, and my old MacBook was a SR 2.0. I'll be waiting for your responses. Thanks.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Time Machine can't really be used to restore an entire machine. I don't think that there's anything machine specific enough on your Time Machine backup to screw another system up (if you did a restore on it).

I think these are your two options:

Reinstall the whole machine by booting off of the restore DVD. At the very beginning you can tell it about the Time Machine. It will use the restore DVD to reinstall the proper OS for the MacBook 2.0 and then it will use Time Machine to put your data and preferences back.

Or, if you want to leave the MacBook how it is and just put your account and data back on it, use the Migration Assistant. It should pull your data and preferences over to the MacBook without overwrite anything machine-specific on the MacBook 2.0 OS that would mess it up.

15. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Yes I'll do the Migration Assistant today. Thanks!

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And I'm guessing you live in Honduras. San Pedro Sula to be exact. I may be wrong though. Still, I feel your loss. And about the iPhone, its not safe to carry it around over there.

I unlocked mine from AT&T [I live & study here in the US] to use it over there in vacations, bad idea, heard people killed other for cellphone [not the iPhone in particular]. I use it, but under a watchful eye and definitely not in the public.

Anyway, I feel your loss, and good luck with your new MacBook. Do a restore from Time Machine, thats why they were put out there by Apple, in cases like these.

17. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Not to digress or anything, but that is a LOT of pot. What did he do, rob the friendly neighborhood drug dealer? ;)

18. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

No...he is a drug dealer.

19. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I thought he meant the kid had stolen 2 ounces of pot.

20. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

yea, at least you have your lives.

their has been a lot of stolen laptop posts lately, no?

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

2 ounces a lot? :rolleyes: 2 pounds, maybe, that would be a lot (to get caught with, anyway). 2 ounces, that's just a couple of lids, dude, a measly eight fingers. That's just walkin' around stash, man! :D

Kids today... :p

22. jonathan92 macrumors newbie

how did u edit that screen shot i know u do command-shift-4-space bar but how did u edit like that?photoshop??

23. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Think about it... you (general you; I'm not accusing you of anything ;)) buy pot in units called "eights" meaning 1/8 of an ounce. 2 ounces... that's 16 times that amount! I don't know about you, I think that's a lot of pot.

24. Chance9888 macrumors member

Chance9888

Sorry to hear about the robbery. Hope you can get replacements of your stuff somehow. Anyway, about you iPhone. Did you have 2.0 update? Then you can remotely erase it...

25. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

yes, I used Photoshop. If you want more info on how I did it in Photoshop, you can PM me because the steps don't really go with the thread.