Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Well its August 1 now! Whos getting geared up for the new Mac Pros?

Personally, once the new Mac Pros are released, I'm going to head to the local Apple store to see what the discounts are on the Nehalem based Mac Pros.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

jjahshik32 said:
Well its August 1 now! Whos getting geared up for the new Mac Pros?

Personally, once the new Mac Pros are released, I'm going to head to the local Apple store to see what the discounts are on the Nehalem based Mac Pros.

Well we still have 8 more days to go, and thankfully the MP launch falls right after my next paycheck so I'm good to go!

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I'm pretty much decided on the base quad core model. It will be my workstation for the next few years while I work on my BA (the real fun there starts January) and hopefully I'll be able to start doing paid work here in the next few months. I've been pinching pennies from a $9/hr job all year for this. Now all that is left is to see who will sell me 4x2GB of RAM the cheapest.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Now all that is left is to see who will sell me 4x2GB of RAM the cheapest.

OWC and TransIntl will be your best bet for cheap RAM. I think TransIntl may be a little cheaper, but if you do the OWC RAM rebate, it might end up being cheaper.

keewe

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
gonna buy the 6 core machine (even if the price it over the octacore... -.-)

still dont know that to do with the RAM. 2x8GB might be to expensive right now, but i dont waste the slots with 2x4.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
gonna buy the 6 core machine (even if the price it over the octacore... -.-)

still dont know that to do with the RAM. 2x8GB might be to expensive right now, but i dont waste the slots with 2x4.

Will the MP still work correctly if one were to mix up RAM modules by different vendors? For example, having 2x8GB via Apple, and then later adding 2x8GB by OWC?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Will the MP still work correctly if one were to mix up RAM modules by different vendors? For example, having 2x8GB via Apple, and then later adding 2x8GB by OWC?

Not if you match the specs.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
From OWC:

OWC p/n OWC8566D3MPE8GB 8GB modules require that all installed modules be of this same matching part.

Sounds to me like, at least for the 8GB module, it has to be from OWC. And I'm pretty sure its the same thing for the 4GB.

RubbishBBspeed

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I'm waiting for my tight ass boss to stop walking with a squeak and release the lump of coal that by now must have turned into a diamond and sign my purchase order for my new Mac Pro and two screens.

trankdart

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
6-core ASAP

I too am clicking on an order for a BTO 6-core as fast as I can when the online store starts taking orders, and I too will do so even if it's priced with diabolical evil, as I expect it will be. I just hope they don't get so backed up in China with 6-core MP orders that it takes weeks to ship.

I have my vanishing last-of-its-kind developer discount to apply...it expires in December and they ain't selling them any more. It's worth $500 off the current MP. If they make it worth less (or make it worthless) on the new ones, I'll make my displeasure known, but I don't see they have any reason to do that (even though I was somewhat surprised to see that the developer discount was $0 on the iPad, which was not released until after Apple had stopped selling developer memberships to the public).

Then I'll pull the cards and extra drives out of my venerable (but fully operational) early 2006 MP 1,1 and recycle it for however many gift-card pennies Apple's junk dealer will give me for it. It's not worth hassling with ebay.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
From OWC:

OWC p/n OWC8566D3MPE8GB 8GB modules require that all installed modules be of this same matching part.

Sounds to me like, at least for the 8GB module, it has to be from OWC. And I'm pretty sure its the same thing for the 4GB.

That's what I've read too.

But seriously, can anyone truly confirm this?

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I need to make sure I don't needlessly waste money on RAM when the Mac Pro arrives. Anyway, I think I found a good enough confirmation by other users at Apple's own discussion forums:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9506388

Seems like you really can't mix vendor specific RAM modules. However, I'm glad to learn that OWC actually offers a rebate for trading in your Apple OEM RAM, which is quite nice. I'll definitely be getting rid of my 3GB Apple ram right away! :)

For those interested and not in the know, heres the link to OWC's trade in rebate offers page:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/trade-in-rebate

Edit 2: Maybe I'm being hasty about the rebates though. Is it correct that Apple will not cover your machine under warranty if it is not using the original Apple RAM? If so, then perhaps its not a good idea to trade in your RAM afterall...

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Mac Pro is coming at the wrong time for me :( should have delayed it another few months!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So it's available for preorder on the 9th. I wonder if the rumored iLife '11 will be preinstalled. I'm sure the majority of Pro users don't use most of those apps but it would still be nice to have.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Not that I will buy one anyway, but I couldn't as I have FINALLY got my iPhone 4!!!!!! woooohoooooo, AND I LOVE IT.... sorry, I'm excited.

I thought I heard pre-orders start tomorrow?? I've been eyeing up that Core i5 iMac 21".... hmmm, really should control myself as my laptop is only a month or so old!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
MMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Its going to be like Christmas on August 9th! Not only does the new ZBrush come out but I'll be ordering my Mac Pro :D

parakiet

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
i have it rdy..

..but for a great hackintosh

if everything goes terribly wrong that great box will become a win7 machine with only cs5 :eek:

sOid

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
Why the 9th? I thought Apple didn't announce a specific date?

Anyway, my credit card is polished and ready!

jamesedward

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
London
I'm in!

Cash money, ready..

I have a budget of £2500 for the desktop. i was looking at the quad core, I think any different will be far to much. But given the estimated £560 for upgrading what and where would you spend it on?

I was thinking memory, but not sure where from? needs to be uk.

and graphics card.

any thoughts??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.