Well, the wife scratched hers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by blackbear219, Apr 29, 2015.

1. blackbear219 macrumors regular

She's had her silver Sport model since Friday. Today she noticed a small and very straight scratch from the top left corner towards the middle of the screen.

She's not even sure how it happened. It's very, very thin and quite hard to see unless you look at it at just the right angle but it's definitely there. Makes me wonder what our watches will look like in a couple years!

Hopefully they bring the sapphire to all models in the future, or if the 2nd or 3rd gen look good enough we'll step it up to the stainless steel next time.

Anyone else have any scratches yet?

2. jjlannoo, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

jjlannoo Suspended

Yup I wish apple just would have made them all sapphire As well. I wonder if it was a problem with production or always the plan. Gorilla/ion-x glass has no business on a watch

3. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I've owned nice watches for over 30 years. The one watch component that's very hard to protect is the face. I learned long ago to bite the bullet and purchase sapphire watch crystals. No different with the Apple watch. Forget the marketing hype about "ion implanted" glass or whatever. Nothing beats true sapphire, and it's worth the extra $$$ if you plan on wearing the watch on a regular basis.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

That's what happens when you go with sport I'm afraid, eventually. Don't sweat it though, builds character.

5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

sport should have had sapphire display. Its a sport model for crying out loud. Sports means running, jumping, climbing etc what were apple thinking?

poor show, very poor show.

6. simonx314 macrumors regular

My wife and I both have the Apple Watch Sport and I am worried about scratches. Could you post a picture?

7. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, standby for a bit. I texted her to see if she can get me a pic.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

OTOH, sapphire is more likely to shatter, so if it gets hit by a ball or in a fall, the stainless steel will be more delicate. Glass is supposed to reach a point in a few years where it can be made nearly as scratch-resistant as sapphire.

9. batman75 macrumors 6502

When Apple said Sport Watch, they didn't mean running, jumping and climbing. They meant cheap. And it delivers that. I have no complaints.

If I wanted something more strong, I would buy the Stainless Steel/Sapphire model.

Apple was transparent about what they were selling, and we got what we paid for.

10. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Fair point. Out of interest do you know what other sport watches use?

----------

Nonsense.

11. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Already debunked for the Sport in drop tests. The glass shattered upon impact, the sapphire survived without a mark.

I could care less about how good glass will be in a few years. What matters is how good it is now.

I've never seen a $350+ watch that didn't have a sapphire. Apple took the cheap way out, or in their defense -- in order to ensure sufficient sapphire yields, and its customers will pay for it.

12. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Well, the wife scratched hers

It's only called sport to make it sound appealing. In reality it's just a budget Apple watch, but Apple will never admit that. Think iPhone 5C.

13. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't even see it in the pic she sent me. It is very, very fine and she took the pic in the light of our iMac monitor so the reflection hides it. I'll try to get a better one tonight.

It's definitely there. And while I knew the Sport would scratch this magnifies my concern a bit. 5 days ago I never would have considered putting a protector on my watch. However, my friend put one of these on his and you can't even tell it is there so I am going to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UH3L82Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14. LiemTa macrumors regular

So you can only see the scratch when the planets align. You must be in so much pain.

15. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

No. I can't see it when my non-techie wife washes the entire screen out with a white reflection that would hide scratches much worse than it as well.

Like I said, it's very, very thin and it's not a big deal. But, it shows that the watch can scratch perhaps a little easier than some (myself included) expected especially considering she has no idea how it happened.

16. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Call Apple, add AppleCare+, use the watch and let the scratches pile up, replace it every year, buy the Apple Watch 3 when your AC+ runs out. Simple simple.

17. abuskeletor macrumors regular

I'm surprised people are having problems with scratches already. I'm in the military and have already had mine out to shoot at the range, had it covered in dirt, sand, and gotten CLP and carbon on it from weapons cleaning and after a rinse it still looks brand new.

I'm sorry for your troubles though. :/ I hate scratched screens.

18. dandrewk macrumors 6502

You will have to provide a link that shows the sport model shattered easier. Every test I've seen shows just the opposite. The Sapphire one is the one that shatters.

You've "never seen you $350 plus watch that didn't have sapphire"? Clearly, you haven't been looking.

19. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

If it had Sapphire, it wouldn't be cheap enough, then more people would complain.

Can't make everyone happy.

20. ScousePete macrumors member

That's a tampon commercial.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

OTOH, sapphire is more likely to shatter, so if it gets hit by a ball or in a fall, the stainless steel will be more delicate. Glass is supposed to reach a point in a few years where it can be made nearly as scratch-resistant as sapphire.

22. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

AppleCare will only replace it for scratches if the scratches "impede the use of the device". But this is a good idea.

I'm still trying to decide whether I am going to do AppleCare of SquareTrade. We have SquareTrade on our phones right now and when my wife's screen on her iPhone 6 got broken they were amazing to deal with.

23. WJKramer macrumors 6502

24. blackbear219 thread starter macrumors regular

It would be impossible to find a better one, I'm quite sure.

25. Alan Mac Farlan macrumors regular

(1) ... It is not natural sapphire ... it is MAN MADE ... synthetic sapphire.

(2) ... it is a watch that gonna take a lot of hits as you do not keep it in your pocket like an iPhone that has a clock by the way ... rub it around on Water Skin Leather, like Alligator bags ... it will lose electrical data and battery life.

(3) ... also .. they call it sapphire GLASS. Naysayers say it technically not a glass .. however .. it also technically is not sapphire.

Still ... they call it a glass.

BIG CARBON FOOT PRINT ... this is not green sustainable watch you know.

[​IMG]

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...-iphone-6-and-why-corning-should-be-nervousIt is now fairly clear that Apple is investing heavily in the production and machining of sapphire glass for its future products. Sapphire glass isn’t a new material, but it’s only in recent years, due to improved manufacturing methods, that we’ve started to see it used commercially. The iPhone 5’s camera was protected by a small piece of sapphire glass, and the iPhone 5S’s new home button/fingerprint scanner is made from sapphire glass. Historically, sapphire has been used for the front cover of high-end wristwatches. Now, it seems Apple is preparing to launch an iPhone or iWatch with its entire front face protected by sapphire glass. Why is sapphire glass suddenly so hot? After leading the pack for a few years, has Corning’s Gorilla Glass finally met its match?
    What is sapphire glass?

Despite its name, sapphire glass isn’t actually a glass — it’s a single crystal of transparent sapphire. This sapphire is created synthetically, using a similar process to how the semiconductor industry grows single crystals of silicon (the Czochralski process). Basically, a tiny piece of sapphire (a seed crystal) is dipped into a vat of molten alumina (Al2O3), and then slowly drawn upwards, forming very long, carrot-shaped crystals called boules (part of a boule is pictured above). These crystals are then sliced with a saw, and shaped/polished accordingly. (The same method is used to slice silicon wafers from large silicon boules.)
    iPhone 5 camera: Sapphire is scratch resistant!

The iPhone 5’s camera is protected by sapphire glass

This process isn’t cheap, is energy intensive, and there is usually quite a lot of wastage when it comes to slicing up the boules. It is mostly for cost reasons that sapphire glass has historically only been used in small quantities, and usually in high-ticket items (wristwatches are the obvious example). It’s also used in military settings, for shatter-proof windows and the like.

Sapphire glass, except for its cost, has some incredibly desirable qualities. It’s highly transparent between 150nm (ultraviolet) and 5500nm (far-infrared), much stronger than normal glass, and it’s one of the most scratch-resistant materials in the world — it scores 9 on the Mohs scale, one down from diamond’s 10, and quite a lot tougher than Gorilla Glass’s ~7. Its transparency, plus its very high melting temperature (~2,000C) and high thermal conductivity, make it almost uniquely suited for use in arc lamps, laser tubes, and other extreme use-cases. Oh, it’s highly resistant to acids and other caustic substances, too