Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manny88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Here's me thinking that because the Macbook can display on an external monitor at 4k60hz, and that HDMI 2 supports 4k60hz, that me buying the new HDMI 2.0 multiport dongle from Apple with a new HDMI 2 cable, would finally allow me to use my external 4k monitor at 60hz. Guess not.

Anyone know a dongle I can get from Amazon UK that will do this and have power and USB?

I read another post I might have to sacrifice USB 3 for 2, but I don't mind, the main thing I need is power (cause of the one port), being able to use my external monitor at 4k60hz and my macbook monitor at the same time, and my usb mouse/keyboard, so USB 2 speeds are fine.

Currently I use both, internal macbook monitor is fine, but my external monitor is stuck on 30hz with the new adapter and hdmi cable.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

manny88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
I can use a displayport but hyperdrive for macbook doesn't seem to be on Amazon UK, it doesn't look like they even sell it anymore, just every other one for the pros.

Any more suggestions?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Here's me thinking that because the Macbook can display on an external monitor at 4k60hz, and that HDMI 2 supports 4k60hz, that me buying the new HDMI 2.0 multiport dongle from Apple with a new HDMI 2 cable, would finally allow me to use my external 4k monitor at 60hz. Guess not.

Anyone know a dongle I can get from Amazon UK that will do this and have power and USB?

I read another post I might have to sacrifice USB 3 for 2, but I don't mind, the main thing I need is power (cause of the one port) and being able to use my external monitor at 4k60hz and my macbook monitor at the same time.

Currently I use both, internal macbook monitor is fine, but my external monitor is stuck on 30hz with the new adapter and hdmi cable.
If you are talking about the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, I would avoid it. It supports USB 3.0 which means it only has two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4 for HDMI conversion. That is 75% the bandwidth of a four lane DisplayPort 1.2 adapter. (The adapter supports DSC so DisplayPort 1.4 GPUs with DSC can exceed the 2 lane HBR3 limit using DSC)

The Macbook is limited to DisplayPort 1.2, so actually the adapter has only 50% the bandwidth of a four lane DisplayPort 1.2 adapter.

With two lanes of DisplayPort 1.2, 4K can be done with YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bpc but DisplayPort 1.2 does not support 4:2:0.

With two lanes of DisplayPort 1.4, 4K can be done using YCbCr 4:2:2 10 bpc or RGB 6 bpc (I don't think macOS allows 6 bpc - I'm not sure if any DisplayPort to HDMI adapters support 6 bpc - I don't think HDMI supports 6 bpc so the adapter would have to do conversion to 8 bpc).

With four lanes of DisplayPort 1.2, you can have a full HDMI 2.0 signal which allows 4K using RGB 8 bpc, or YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bpc.

I would combine a dongle that has USB 2.0 (not USB 3.x) and DisplayPort output with Power Delivery input. Then use a four lane DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter. For future proofing, consider a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b adapter.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have used this model successfully with the MacBook for 4k60hz. You will also need a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. I don’t know if this exact model is available on the UK site. Just looking now, and there is a similar one with USB 3 that will probably NOT work. It has to be the model with USB 2.

Edit: Here is the UK link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matt...p/B06ZY1ZJDQ/ref=psdc_949408031_t1_B06XQ4SQ85

manny88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Hey guys!

Great news!

So originally my cable was going to be delivered Sunday due to delays due to the corona. But some reason it was dispatched last night and I got it today!

Just got home now, plugged it into the monitor, then plugged it into my macbook, and then connected power to it, and then lastly connected my USB Mac Keyboard (which has a usb mouse plugged into the keyboard).

Was still 30hz, I was like oh no, please let there be a 60hz option in easyres, and there was!

BOOM. Macbook running internal display @60Hz, and external display @ 4k@60hz (1920x1080 HiDPI), and charging, and using my usb mouse & keyboard.

If you're in the UK, I can confirm this works for 4k@60hz:https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y6D7WB7/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_dbYNEbY9CJZ28?tag=macr0e-21

And it cost £23.99 compared to the £75 official Apple HDMI 2 dongle which doesn't output at 4k60hz.

It feels good man. Will be returning the other dongle soon.

I've attached a pic of the displays, and a pic of the USB (though I can't fit everything on the screenshot) from system report.

Update: Okay I thought for complete sake I'll quickly test the SD card slot. Works fine! Attached another USB system report pic.

So if you want your Macbook to :

1. Output 4k@60Hz
2. Have one USB 2 Port
3. Connect Micro SD Cards
4. And be able to charge at the same time

I recommend this cable if you're in the UK.

Thanks everyone! Finally I can use my Macbook the way I've always wanted.

Update 2: I have no idea why it's saying Nintendo Co in the system report, I guess they might have to name it that to trick the Nintendo switch for it to work properly or something, because the cable is also compatible with the switch.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.44.43.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.44.43.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.47.18.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.47.18.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.50.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.50.01.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Read the first 5 words of post #3 again. ;)
I thought "I can use a DisplayPort" didn't mean anything because every Mac can use DisplayPort. I guess you mean your display can use DisplayPort which I didn't get because you didn't state the model of the display and who would choose HDMI over DisplayPort in the first place and I thought the point of this thread was HDMI.

Glad you got it working.

According to the USB ids database, 0x057e is the Vendor ID for Nintendo Co., Ltd. It's an interesting theory that the billboard device requires a Nintendo Vendor ID to work with the Switch. I guess the way to test that is to use a different USB-C hub with the switch.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I thought "I can use a DisplayPort" didn't mean anything because every Mac can use DisplayPort. I guess you mean your display can use DisplayPort which I didn't get because you didn't state the model of the display and who would choose HDMI over DisplayPort in the first place and I thought the point of this thread was HDMI.

Glad you got it working.

I got it, hence the reason I said to re-read it. You may look back and realise I’m not OP.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Which MacBook, and is there any lag?

I tried 4Kp60 my 2017 Core m3 MacBook and didn't notice any significant lag, but I only tested it a few times for fun, as I don't use the MacBook with an external monitor.

manny88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Oops, sorry. You're right. When I said "you" in #12 , I meant manny88.

Sorry I didn't explain my setup very well. I have a gaming PC running Windows 7 with a 1080ti. The gfx card has 3 x 1.2 displayports and 1 x 2.0 hdmi port. The PC was already connected to my monitor via displayport, and the PC HDMI port was already in use connected to my 120hz 1080p TV. However I only use my gaming PC at 1080p on my 4k monitor anyway, because scaling in Windows 7 sucks, and gaming at 1080p with ultra graphics is better than gaming at 4k imo. So I got an old HDMI splitter from the garage, which only supports HDMI 1.4 anyway, and split the HDMI port (mirror it) to my 4k monitor and TV. HDMI 1.4 supports 120Hz at 1080p anyway, so it suits my needs perfectly. I can game at 120Hz on my TV at 1080p, and 60Hz at 1080p on my 4k monitor. I then use the newly freed displayport on my monitor to connect my Macbook up.

Which MacBook, and is there any lag?

I tried 4Kp60 my 2017 Core m3 MacBook and didn't notice any significant lag, but I only tested it a few times for fun, as I don't use the MacBook with an external monitor.

Yeah boi. This thing is buttery smooth. I finally could test the full power of this Macbook today, as I got the final piece of my puzzle, a USB 2 switcher/hub to switch my mouse and keyboard and devices at the click of a button.

This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Sharing-Keyboard-Black/dp/B01MXXQKGM

So I did a SuperDuper smart backup on my 500GB Sandisk USB-C SSD (partitioned to 250GB), using the USB-A adapter that came with it. Finished in 9m40s. Obviously it depends how much has changed on my system since the last backup, but I think it will be fine for me using USB 2 speeds for smart backups. And this switcher requires no power, though you can connect a 5V adapter via micro-USB for more power hungry devices or charging, but as long as it works with my Sandisk SSD and mouse and keyboard, that's all I need it for.

But I think people underestimate how great this Macbook (& CPU) is. I'm running Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop, 1.75GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, in Coherence mode. Runs buttery smooth for what I need it to do, mainly the Office 2016 apps, as I prefer the Windows versions.

But it doesn't stop there. I've attached a pic where I've opened 23 apps, this is while it's running on the internal display and external display at 60hz. AND IT'S STILL RUNNING BUTTERY SMOOTH, EVERYTHING, the entire MacOS and the VM, opening apps and using them, listening to Spotify. It's incredible! And the CPU is not any higher than 60c, averaging around 50c. I'm not sure how the MacOS (I'm on Catalina 10.15.4) and this m3 CPU does it. I think the internal SSD probably makes a huge difference.

Don't underestimate the 2017 Macbook, even the base model with the m3 CPU and 8GB of RAM. It really is running stupidly buttery smooth, it's unbelievable.

My dream was to use Macbook like a desktop/mac mini, but with the added benefit I can take my work with me without the hassle of files being left on a desktop computer or having to rely on iCloud to sync, oh and it's silent, light, and the perfect portable screen size.

This is definitely a machine I'll be keeping and paying for battery replacements in the future.

Last note, I know everyones needs are different, especially for heavy processing. But I wouldn't put it past this Macbook to be able to handle it well but just take more time. But in my opinion all the other benefits outweigh this, at least in my case. FREAKING BUTTERY SMOOTH with 23 Apps open, Parellels VM in coherence, and running on 4k external and internal at 60Hz. I wish I could take a video right now to show you I'm not hyping how smooth it's running, but I won't bother going that far.

Also attached a pic of my setup. Note if it weren't for my PC, the wires under my desk would be pretty much non existent. Also the photo doesn't capture the colours/clarity of the screens, they aren't washed out.

That's my review lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 19.07.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 19.07.47.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 19.07.47 (2).png
    Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 19.07.47 (2).png
    3.9 MB · Views: 132
  • Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Reactions: joevt and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
@manny88

I noticed PowerPoint is a problem in MS Office for Mac, because there must be a memory leak. With large PowerPoint presentations, they will open with a couple of hundred MB, but after a while that can balloon to several GB. But I'm usually OK since I've got 16 GB RAM in my 2017 Core m3 MacBook. :)

Reactions: manny88

manny88

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
@EugW

Nice one, that’s definitely a keeper!

I like the Outlook on Windows more, I couldn’t get the handle of the Mac one, and there were some features missing also.

But one major benefit of the Mac Office apps is being able to install them individually, while Microsoft forces you to install the whole suite in Windows. I spent an entire day figuring out how to use Microsoft’s Office deployment tool, and reverting back to saved VM’s (as it starts installing everything as soon as you run it), until I finally figured out how I could just install the Office apps I wanted (so I didn’t unnecessarily waste my HD space).

Parallels is a hell of a program though, especially coherence mode, it makes the windows apps work just like Mac apps can. The main reason I wanted to move from my Windows 7 PC to MacOS was for the multiple desktops, better workflow, and being able to actually use my 4K monitor and see things nice and clearly. And I think Windows 10 sucks so I wasn’t going to upgrade to that.

Anyway hold onto that MacBook, especially since you got the 16gb model, the things a beast! It’s completely blown me away.

If I had the option, I would have only got the ram upgrade, because the CPU is more than capable.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The other problem with MS Office 2016 for Mac is that it is very slow for launching. Even on my iMac with very fast 1 TB SSD, it's really slow to launch.

I suspect that MS Office for Windows running on Windows 10 in Parallels in a 4 GB VM would actually launch faster than Office Mac. Luckily though it's only slow on first launch. Having 16 GB RAM allows lots of app caching, so subsequent launches are fast.

I don't bother with VMs anymore though. I don't use Outlook, and I don't use Quicken at all anymore. (The Windows version back in the day was much, much more robust than the Mac version.) So, in my current situation, 16 GB is overkill, but yeah, I'm future proofed though in terms of memory. Perhaps my kids will appreciate that when the time comes for them to upgrade from their iPads.

Reactions: manny88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.