Well, uh,, OK. But it's still against the law.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
But normally they announce that it is a nudist beach. And if I am correct, you need to be over 18 to enter, don't you?

I'm curious. It is normal in what way? I mean, I don't have anything against nudist beaches, maybe I wouldn't enter there, but I know I have the alternative to go to no-nudists beaches. But would you consider normal walking around in the street nude?
For most beaches and pools in Europe, there's not really a sign announcing that nudity is acceptable, instead it's generally accepted that women are allowed to go topless if they choose. True nude beaches are announced but usually don't have rules governing them so much as an unspoken etiquette. I can't speak for true nude beaches, but I have been to pools in europe where women are not required to wear a top, and where it is acceptable for men to be naked in the locker room area. A lot of it is how you grow up.

As for the normality of nudity....I think it would only be abnormal for people to be nude (in a nonsexual way) if we were born clothed.

Maybe I have grown up in a society where public nudity is related to sex.

But I keep my point.

I mean, imagine getting on the subway just after work. The subway is crowded as always, and you have to squeeze between many hairy men who are all nude. I just couldn't tolerate being body to body with strangers, knowing that parts of my body are touching their private parts.:eek:

Now, if you tell me I'll have to squeeze between some Victoria Secrets models, I think I'll just turn out to be the #1 defensor of public nudity.:D

But okay, seriously, maybe the example of the subway was to graphic, sorry for that. And I know that the part of the Victoria model would never be true. But it bugs me to think that I'll have to be with some strange guy at my side who is completely nude. It just bugs me.
I think that this isn't the point...clothing does serve a purpose to isolate us from unwanted intimate contact, and it should stay that way. I think we're talking more about Americans' overall feeling that seeing other people nude ever is somehow a bad thing, and how strict the punishment was on this jogger who took many steps to avoid being seen. I mean, it'd be different if there was naked dude on the subway suggestively rubbing himself on people, but this guy was really not disturbing anyone except some people with the twisted American values that the naked human body is somehow highly sexualized in any context. :rolleyes:

I also spent a decade as a whitewater rafter. Early on, I did it as a professional guide. But, most of the time it was just my primary hobby. We traveled throughout the Western US and Canada, from March through November. There was a group of us that were together for many years (still best friends with many). We often spent time completely nude; changing gear, relieving ourselves, sun bathing, washing in the river, etc. It was a natural way to live and there just were no issues with it for most. There were a couple of individuals who could not get comfortable being nude themselves. They were fine with others, but they could not do it. They were not singled-out, ostracized, kidded, or even had any notice vocalized by the group.

Most of my friends are liberal-minded. Over the years, we have been nude sunbathing (there are some places you definitely do not want a sunburn), hot-tubing and/or skinny-dipping. Once again, if you do not have hang-ups, it is almost irrelevant. There are no secrets as to what is under your clothes. We all come from the factory with the same basic bodies. They are not all constructed exactly the same. But, it is hardly worth the attention we pay to it.
I think that's a healthy view of nudity...a nothing special approach. I went to a boarding prep school for high school. The showers were just a couple of shower heads at one end of the bathroom, with a drain in the floor. No dividers or anything. It was a bit to get over at first, but now my friends from highschool and I don't really think twice about changing in each others midst. It's just not a big deal.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I mean, imagine getting on the subway just after work. The subway is crowded as always, and you have to squeeze between many hairy men who are all nude.
:)
But normally they announce that it is a nudist beach. And if I am correct, you need to be over 18 to enter, don't you?

I'm curious. It is normal in what way? I mean, I don't have anything against nudist beaches, maybe I wouldn't enter there, but I know I have the alternative to go to no-nudists beaches. But would you consider normal walking around in the street nude?
I'm talking women going topless rather than nudist beaches. On every beach in Europe (with the sudden exception of Poland I now see) women sunbathe with their breasts uncovered. Nobody really bats an eyelid, because all women do it, and it happens on all beaches. It's just background noise for the beach experience.

Which is sort of my point. If walking down the street naked was commonplace nobody would care when people do it. I would personally draw the line at erect penises in public, because sex is a personal thing that shouldn't really be played to an audience, but a flaccid penis wobbling around as someone goes about their daily business is nothing to be ashamed of.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I don't understand how violence is so accepted in American culture but nudity isn't.

In a film class I took last semester, I was told that when American movies go over to Europe, some of the violence is edited out because there is just too much for European audiences. I don't know how true it is, maybe someone can confirm/debunk this for me.

This is just one part of American culture that is completely backwards. No problem showing violent murders and excessive gore, but people flip out at the sight of a breast or butt. Don't want to ruin the children.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
This is just one part of American culture that is completely backwards.
To be fair, that's just the nature of our culture. While I agree that Americans in general would greatly benefit in the long run from a greater tolerance for nudity and the beauty of the human body in regards to non-sexual matters, I think its just the way our culture has developed. Certainly different places in the world will have different tolerances; that's the whole nature of cultural influences. I don't think we're necessarily "backwards" because you can't really empirically say that culture x's view is superior to culture y's view...its just that American culture is different from others.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
In a film class I took last semester, I was told that when American movies go over to Europe, some of the violence is edited out because there is just too much for European audiences. I don't know how true it is, maybe someone can confirm/debunk this for me.
This happens, but not on an overall scale. The license to show a film here is decided at a local level, so the film will be watched by an appointed group prior to release and categorised. If the studio want the film released as a 15* (to match its US release) yet too many of the local film boards rate as 18, the studio will edit excessive scenes of violence out of the film to get the rating they want. Sometimes two versions of the film will be released, only one with the violence removed.

* The classification labels match minimum age of audience. U=Universal (for everyone), PG=Parental Guidance, then 12, 15, 18.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
How did he run naked without his knob constantly hitting himself? That would have been annoying.....that, and the bruises on the tip.
Maybe he taped it out of the way with the reflective tape? Seriously could they not have just asked him to stop? Jail seems to be totally over the top for what is, after all, a very minor offence. As noted above if you go to the beach you see people more or less nude anyway.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
This happens, but not on an overall scale. The license to show a film here is decided at a local level, so the film will be watched by an appointed group prior to release and categorised. If the studio want the film released as a 15* (to match its US release) yet too many of the local film boards rate as 18, the studio will edit excessive scenes of violence out of the film to get the rating they want. Sometimes two versions of the film will be released, only one with the violence removed.
correct except that in a few countries the editing is done on antional scale
for example:
scarface original version: 163 minutes (pal speedup)
scarface 16+ version: 146 minutes

of course normally the uncut versions are harder to get and aren't showed on tv
(scarface didn't even get a "red" 18+ rating but a "black", which is a rarity, "sold only to adults, legal" which is the worst you can have)

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I would personally draw the line at erect penises in public, because sex is a personal thing that shouldn't really be played to an audience, but a flaccid penis wobbling around as someone goes about their daily business is nothing to be ashamed of.
True, but if women were walking around topless then it could change quite quickly, so in that respect you can't predict it and therefore can't really allow it :p

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
True, but if women were walking around topless then it could change quite quickly, so in that respect you can't predict it and therefore can't really allow it :p
Adolescent boys may have some issues, yes!

But the point is, naked breasts are only perceived to be sexually arousing because we just don't get to see them much. I think once the novelty has worn off, you'd have to work pretty hard to get turned on by just seeing a pair of breasts. It's what is *happening* with the breasts that makes it erotic... ;)

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...I'm curious. It is normal in what way?... ...would you consider normal walking around in the street nude?
Here it's a nice sunny day, I bet if I was to walk to the beach 100m away there'd be topless sunbathers, same for the park another 200m. When I worked in a shop near the beach many women didn't bother covering up when they popped in to get a paper or drink etc., but most would if they were sitting down to eat at a café. When people arrive at the beach it's not uncommon to see them strip off their clothes and put on their swimsuits or shorts etc. without struggling to hold towels up in a ridiculous Mr Bean fashion.

Naked bodies just aren't seen as offensive. As for the naked subway scenario, where'd you keep you Oyster Card? If everybody was naked on the trains I'll bet there'd be better public transport.
How did he run naked without his knob constantly hitting himself?...
Although naked I'm guessing he was still in running shoes, so he may have tucked it into his sock??

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Here it's a nice sunny day, I bet if I was to walk to the beach 100m away there'd be topless sunbathers, same for the park another 200m.
Where are you, exactly? ;)

But seriously... it can't be the UK. Topless still frowned upon here.

EDIT: or can it be? there you are talking about Oyster cards... now I'm confused, I thought topless wasn't allowed on the beach.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Where are you, exactly? ;)

But seriously... it can't be the UK. Topless still frowned upon here.

EDIT: or can it be? there you are talking about Oyster cards... now I'm confused, I thought topless wasn't allowed on the beach.
I'm not in the UK, I'm in Jersey and I think it probably is a little more relaxed here than the UK, but I didn't think the UK frowned upon nudity?? Maybe I've been spoilt living in a very cosmopolitan accepting community, but it's always been like this since I was young.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
I'm not in the UK, I'm in Jersey and I think it probably is a little more relaxed here than the UK, but I didn't think the UK frowned upon nudity?? Maybe I've been spoilt living in a very cosmopolitan accepting community, but it's always been like this since I was young.
To be honest I've not been to a UK beach for some time, but as far as I am aware, you may be asked to cover up if you (well, a girl) took your top off. I'm all for a bit of relaxation in this area, although in many cases staying covered up may be a personal choice. When a load of friends went to Spain, even though topless bathing was the norm, the british girls were a little uncomfortable with it! So perhaps they would stay covered at home, even if it was an option. Which maybe it is, I'm not sure.

Haha, images of Barbara Windsor in Carry On films, desperately clutching her bikini top lest people should see her voluminous chest, spring to mind...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
To be honest I've not been to a UK beach for some time, but as far as I am aware, you may be asked to cover up if you (well, a girl) took your top off.
Not so these days. Both Brighton and Bournemouth had topless sunbathing when I was there last summer. The relaxation in uptightness is one of the good influences we've imported from our European neighbours.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Alright I don't even know why I'm posting here but, eh I couldn't help it.
I know most of you don't even care about the bible, but you will find out one day that it's true. Here is the best verse I could find:

Revelations 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

THAT IS WHY YOU DON'T GO AROUND NAKED!!!

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Alright I don't even know why I'm posting here but, eh I couldn't help it.
I know most of you don't even care about the bible, but you will find out one day that it's true. Here is the best verse I could find:

Revelations 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

THAT IS WHY YOU DON'T GO AROUND NAKED!!!
I'm no bible scholar, but it seems pretty obvious that verse is just a warning not to get you kit off if you've got a shamefully small wang.

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
London
Just more american fear-of-nudity, as people have mentioned above.

30 days in prison? He was getting up at 4am to do it so people wouldn't have to see, constraining himself to places with fewer people and he's still punished so harshly?

Sometimes this country mystifies me. :rolleyes:
I mean I personally think this guy must have been pretty fit, he ran 6 miles everyday for example. Im sure that he would not cause costs to the American health system or what not and the prosecutors and police should spend their time looking for other much more harmful crimes than catching a nude guy jogging...

Kaiser Phoenix

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2005
London
To be honest I've not been to a UK beach for some time, but as far as I am aware, you may be asked to cover up if you (well, a girl) took your top off. I'm all for a bit of relaxation in this area, although in many cases staying covered up may be a personal choice. When a load of friends went to Spain, even though topless bathing was the norm, the british girls were a little uncomfortable with it! So perhaps they would stay covered at home, even if it was an option. Which maybe it is, I'm not sure.

Haha, images of Barbara Windsor in Carry On films, desperately clutching her bikini top lest people should see her voluminous chest, spring to mind...
Does the UK even have beaches? Or any Sun for that matter?:p

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
There's no mistypes dude :confused:.
Well sorry man, I haven't a clue what your saying. Here is what wang means: Wang |wä ng |
Wang, An(1920–90), U.S. computer engineer; born in China. In 1948, he invented a magnetic core memory for computers. The founder of Wang Laboratories in 1951, he held 40 patents

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Well sorry man, I haven't a clue what your saying. Here is what wang means: Wang |wä ng |
Wang, An(1920–90), U.S. computer engineer; born in China. In 1948, he invented a magnetic core memory for computers. The founder of Wang Laboratories in 1951, he held 40 patents
Ah now I see the problem :D! Wang is a colloquial term for penis. Now you're hip to the jive lingo ;).