Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Yeah that’s my biggest gripe with Apple Pay. Some pos sales still require a pin. If I run my debt card as credit and don’t need cash back the system should allow the purchase to be authorized without entering my pin.

No different than swiping.
In the UK we never have to use a PIN with ApplePay. We just hold the device over the terminal with TouchID activated and Boom! Transaction complete. I use it all the time in many stores. If I had to use a PIN as well I'd still use the old plastic card as there would be no benefit whatsoever in ApplePay

Reactions: iapplelove

Shawn Parr

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
I am a big fan of Panera Bread, but their self check-out kiosks do not have Apple Pay.

Panera has Apple Pay in the app, and you can use it to order from your table in store.

Usually when I'm near Panera I'm at another store and just want to pick up a coffee and a treat, so while walking out of the store I order in app for immediate pickup, then go to the drive through. Also super fast and convenient.

You’re it doing wrong...no, seriously, you should be able to run it as credit card, most places where “enter pin” shows up in terminal, I just hit enter, (without entering any numbers), and it should run it as credit not debit. Unfortunately, some places, you do that, and you still have to sign it...the U.S. has old fashioned policies where the merchant’s financial institution may still require a signature :rolleyes:

As you've alluded to, it is unfortunate that the merchant software for the terminal seems to drive some of the experience, and different merchants have set it up in very different ways.

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
And in Canada, Capital One / Costco MasterCard still has to learn how to spell "Apple Pay". Dark age bank and Costco must have been sleeping to sign with Capital One.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah that’s my biggest gripe with Apple Pay. Some pos sales still require a pin. If I run my debt card as credit and don’t need cash back the system should allow the purchase to be authorized without entering my pin.

No different than swiping.

Right, but that isn't ApplePay it's either the retailer's desired credit/debit card protocol or it's bank's. It has zero to with ApplePay. All ApplePay does it authorize payments via NFC rather than a swipe or chip reader.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
In the UK we never have to use a PIN with ApplePay. We just hold the device over the terminal with TouchID activated and Boom! Transaction complete. I use it all the time in many stores. If I had to use a PIN as well I'd still use the old plastic card as there would be no benefit whatsoever in ApplePay

ApplePay (NFC contactless) is a way better experience in the UK, but here in the US, where we're still fumbling the roll-out to chip-and-pin, expecting contactless to work as it is supposed to is a bit of a reach.

Most merchants require a signature in addition to ApplePay, but that's because VISA/Mastercard charge the retailers for signature verification whether it's needed or not, and the retailers don't get to opt out of that.

Now I'm not sure why so many people up thread are reporting a near total lack of support for ApplePay. I can count on one hand the number of major stores around me that don't support ApplePay. I likely have to fish around for a card no more than once a week. And in the places that claim to support it, I expect it to work every time.

[edit] Also, Wells Fargo. No. Screw you guys.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Right, but that isn't ApplePay it's either the retailer's desired credit/debit card protocol or it's bank's. It has zero to with ApplePay. All ApplePay does it authorize payments via NFC rather than a swipe or chip reader.

Yeah my issues isn’t with Apple, even though it’s Apple Pay...just the merchant and transactions in general.

Imo it’s still a mess, again not Apple. Stores like CVS and Walmart have their own systems etc. retailers should give customers a choice, especially the ones with the correct terminals already installed.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I know what you mean, but there will come a tipping point some time in the next year or two, I think.
The "We don't take Apple Pay, but we do take Android Pay" is an irritant that I hope will soon go away. That's like saying, "We won't serve people that drive Chevrolet's through our drive through." Huh?

Who the hell does that? Seriously, name names, so I can avoid those stores. If they don't want my money, I'll certainly not give it to them.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

pingloss

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I'm surprised how much the US is seemingly behind the times when it comes to card transactions. Here in the UK we binned off swipe and sign years ago replacing it with PIN entry. Then I'm sure we've been near the forefront of contactless transactions in the past few years with almost all big store chains accepting Apple Pay and some even accepting 'limitless' transactions https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/22/apple-pay-uk-transaction-limit/

Reactions: LordVic

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Does the fine print say every time you use Apple Pay with Wells Fargo, they will sign you up for a complimentary annual-fee credit card account without your knowledge? ;)

Reactions: monster620ie

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I can take out my phone, place it near the terminal, enter a PIN and indicate how much money I want *or* I can take out my card and do the same thing (and possibly faster)

I guess if you are worried about a card skimmer it's a plus the design of new bank ATM's thwart that pretty effectively.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm surprised how much the US is seemingly behind the times when it comes to card transactions. Here in the UK we binned off swipe and sign years ago replacing it with PIN entry. Then I'm sure we've been near the forefront of contactless transactions in the past few years with almost all big store chains accepting Apple Pay and some even accepting 'limitless' transactions https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/22/apple-pay-uk-transaction-limit/

yeah, it's odd. in Canada, we've had contactless payments for nearly a decade that I can remember, if not longer. Chip and Pin was standard already for the last decade as well. you can't use swipe virtually anywhere.

Then I drive 2 hours south and it's still mostly swipe everywhere.

the US seems to be drastically behind on their banking tech.

fireguy286

macrumors demi-god
Sep 15, 2014
NY'er in Philly
1980s security: still have to enter your PIN :rolleyes:

You’re it doing wrong...no, seriously, you should be able to run it as credit card, most places where “enter pin” shows up in terminal, I just hit enter, (without entering any numbers), and it should run it as credit not debit. Unfortunately, some places, you do that, and you still have to sign it...the U.S. has old fashioned policies where the merchant’s financial institution may still require a signature :rolleyes:

I am doing it the way I want...no, seriously, I am doing it the way I know it works the first time 100% of the time. Doesn't make it wrong. Yes, in many cases you can run it as credit but I have had it reject as declined or just go back to payment selection and have start over, only wasting more time and accomplishing nothing. I stick with what works. Also for smaller merchants they are eating less of a fee of debit vs credit and that matters to me. The multitude of machines means it's a broken process in the US, and will be for some time as far as I can tell. Yeah yeah the rest of the world is soo much better or ahead :rolleyes: - at the end of the day stuff is bought, money is withdrawn and bigger fish to fry. This of course is only for Visa/debit card transactions, true credit cards have worked seamlessly for me via Apply Pay.

Reactions: benji888 and Ntombi

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah my issues isn’t with Apple, even though it’s Apple Pay...just the merchant and transactions in general.

Imo it’s still a mess, again not Apple. Stores like CVS and Walmart have their own systems etc. retailers should give customers a choice, especially the ones with the correct terminals already installed.

Yes, very true. Regarding CC authorization in general it is quite annoying that every store has a different protocol: remembering if signature is needed; guessing if a store is swipe or chip because they are too lazy to put a sign near the register; wondering if NFC payments are accepted even if they have the NFC symbol showing on the terminal. That is a mess.

Reactions: benji888

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This most likely has nothing to do with ApplePay and is generic contactless support, not knowing if it is ApplePay or just a normal bank card it will ask for a PIN.
[doublepost=1507638878][/doublepost]

Really? Any where other than the US that does that? Certainly doesn't happen in the UK, defeats part of the whole point of contactless.

Yup, this is what I have been seeing. Sprouts at one point had apple pay and you didn't have to enter a pin, but now that they went to the generic contactless payment we have to enter a pin. Same with Trader Joes and some of the gas stations we go to.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
I know what you mean, but there will come a tipping point some time in the next year or two, I think.
The "We don't take Apple Pay, but we do take Android Pay" is an irritant that I hope will soon go away. That's like saying, "We won't serve people that drive Chevrolet's through our drive through." Huh?

I had a funny thing happen to me way back when Apple Pay first hit Canada. There was a little note stuck to the terminal at a bakery I visit that said “No Apple Pay”. I had previously used my card by tapping so this was odd.

When I paid I put my iPhone on the terminal the owner (older guy) starts frantically waving his hand and saying he doesn’t accept it. Few seconds later the “Approved” message comes up on the terminal. He has this odd look on his face and I leave with my stuff. Week later I stop by again and the note saying “no Apple Pay” was gone.

I think merchant education was a big issue as lots of retailers were caught off guard by people suddenly tapping their phones.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Why do you need to enter a PIN, Is TouchID not good enough?
nope, it’s not. debit cards require a pin for atm transactions so touch ID authenticates the use of the card on the phone but the pin is still necessary

if it were a retailer then you could get away with not using a pin just like you would when you swipe your debit card and choose credit instead of debit

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
We still think front-loader washing machines are kind of cool and novel.

YOU CAN WATCH YOUR CLOTHING SPIN AS IT WASHES! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!!

no seriously. I'm a grown ass man and still find simple machinery fun to watch

Reactions: Ntombi

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I like to use Apple Pay. Many times, the hardware reader is at the register, but the clerk doesn’t know how to use it or software wasn’t set up to accept Apple Pay or something goes wrong with the transaction.....so, I end up using my card anyway.

Honestly, it feels kind of like laziness or maybe lack of training. The technology is there, but some how the transaction gets stymied.

Reactions: benji888

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

Apart from the times when you need your physical card when they do the random PIN check in terms of contactless/digital wallet payments.

Having said that I’ve noticed lately (especially the last six months) when using Apple Pay I’ve had less instances of having to insert my card to “prove” I’m the card-holder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.