Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am with you on that! I have been a fan of ApplePay since it came out, but the reality is pretty brutal. There is still a majority of stores that we go to that do not accept it and no idea when or if they will ever; Target, Costco are the two major one that we shop a lot. I am a big fan of Panera Bread, but their self check-out kiosks do not have Apple Pay. Corner Bakery and Chipotle also do not have it. And forget about mom and pop local stores :(

So far the only places where we were able to somewhat reliably use Apple Pay are:
Jewel-Osco (seldom shop there),
Walgreens,
Starbucks (does not take Discover card for some reasons via ApplePay, but Visa works)
Macy's (hit or miss, one day it works, another day does not)
Apple Store
Chick-Fill-A

I will keep trying to use ApplePay anywhere I see a reader that might work. Once place that surprised me one a local car dealer where we service our cars.
You kidding? Mom and pop stores support it the most. They just don’t know how to use the terminal sometimes and you have to instruct them.

Chipotle sucks ass anyway, and refuse to even do chip cards in full chip countries like Canada.

Costco is coming soon as their new gas pumps have contactless readers- but disabled for now.
[doublepost=1507660998][/doublepost]
I'm surprised how much the US is seemingly behind the times when it comes to card transactions. Here in the UK we binned off swipe and sign years ago replacing it with PIN entry. Then I'm sure we've been near the forefront of contactless transactions in the past few years with almost all big store chains accepting Apple Pay and some even accepting 'limitless' transactions https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/22/apple-pay-uk-transaction-limit/
We have chip cards in the US. So I don’t know what you’re talking about. Virtually every store we go to here requires you to dip the card in the chip slot (or in this case now, tap your phone)
[doublepost=1507661153][/doublepost]
I can take out my phone (or watch), place it near a terminal, enter a PIN and indicate how much money I want *or* I can drive home and get my ATM card out of the drawer, then drive back to the bank and do the same process with a card.

The first option is definitely faster.

I go to an ATM about four times a year, because I don't need to get cash very often. Now, the option of taking the seldom-used card out of my wallet becomes even more realistic. If the terminals inside the bank would also accept NFC (since they use the ATM card and PIN for identification at the teller windows), it would be even easier to ditch the card.
Some WF branches accept tap inside the bank! I’ve used that before!!
[doublepost=1507661194][/doublepost]
It would be nice if someone at MR interviewed representatives of the oil oligopoly and asked them what their plans are for rolling out Apple Pay to the gas pumps.
Plenty of gas stations in my area have Apple Pay. Mobil Chevron Texaco, and Circle K unbranded

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
No. All you need to add a card to Apple Pay is your card details, the fingerprint has nothing to do with your bank account and there's no guarantee that it's just yours. Someone could just take your card for two minutes, steal the details and then have the ability to withdraw cash using your card.
When you enroll a card in Apple Pay, the banks can (and do) perform additional verification. It can be something you don't even notice (e.g. they can check whether the phone number of the device is known to the bank, or your current location is your known billing address), or require additional steps such as logging into a bank app.

Reactions: Ntombi

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I had a funny thing happen to me way back when Apple Pay first hit Canada. There was a little note stuck to the terminal at a bakery I visit that said “No Apple Pay”. I had previously used my card by tapping so this was odd.

When I paid I put my iPhone on the terminal the owner (older guy) starts frantically waving his hand and saying he doesn’t accept it. Few seconds later the “Approved” message comes up on the terminal. He has this odd look on his face and I leave with my stuff. Week later I stop by again and the note saying “no Apple Pay” was gone.

I think merchant education was a big issue as lots of retailers were caught off guard by people suddenly tapping their phones.
Definitely this. I have yelled at a few cashiers before over this. Free gift cards are also awesome as a result.
[doublepost=1507661389][/doublepost]
Apart from the times when you need your physical card when they do the random PIN check in terms of contactless/digital wallet payments.

Having said that I’ve noticed lately (especially the last six months) when using Apple Pay I’ve had less instances of having to insert my card to “prove” I’m the card-holder.
At Walmart the screen came up saying “PIN Counter Expired, Card must be inserted”...then again, I think it was because contactless is not supposed to work at Walmart, and they came out with that BS WALMART Pay crap.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Perhaps you are referring to some Visa fingerprint plan, but, you really do not understand how ApplePay works, it's not just about biometrics. With the way ApplePay works, a PIN is totally unnecessary.

Yes, we've already established that device-registered biometrics do not verify cardholder identity. They simply act as a shortcut method of entering the device passcode.

So why would a PIN be "unnecessary"? After all, NOT requiring a PIN is a departure from the primary cardholder authentication method for chip & PIN cards.

That being said, I think the way Wells Fargo is implementing this is making it just like swiping your ATM card, which is not how ApplePay was designed. https://www.engadget.com/2014/10/02/apple-pay-an-in-depth-look-at-whats-behind-the-secure-payment/

I think you might be confusing transaction security with cardholder authentication. The latter is why even US banks still want a PIN involved. Considering how much damage a debit card can do, one would think users would want the same thing.

Last edited:

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
Meanwhile, the arcade place I went to yesterday had some generic “NFC” next to their register and when I tried to pay with my watch the guy behind the counter says “Oh we don’t use THAT”. I asked “Then what’s that for” and he said it was for whatever wrist bands they give out. Ok cool, gave him my card and he swiped. Before I left he said “Oh and by the way we will NEVER accept those kinds of payments. They tell us it’s a security risk and that we will never use THAT.”

I wanted to school him SO hard that me handing my card to be swiped is much less secure for my card than using contactless. Also, my card number is never in their system to be hacked.

Wait 2-3 years and let’s see if you’re using contactless payments. In fact, they could use it to hold their “chips and tickets” for the arcade games instead of wasting money on cards.

kdarling

macrumors P6
When you enroll a card in Apple Pay, the banks can (and do) perform additional verification. It can be something you don't even notice (e.g. they can check whether the phone number of the device is known to the bank, or your current location is your known billing address), or require additional steps such as logging into a bank app.

True, most do now.

But back when Apple Pay started, banks were not really prepared for the on-device registration Apple set up (Apple only told them about it rather last minute), so they didn't have the support staff or procedures in place.

If you recall, that led to millions of dollars being lost to fraudulent Apple Pay registrations. And THAT woke up the banks.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
We still think front-loader washing machines are kind of cool and novel.

They are actually more efficient.
[doublepost=1507663306][/doublepost]
Plenty of gas stations in my area have Apple Pay. Mobil Chevron Texaco, and Circle K unbranded

Do they have it at the pump? I have yet to see this.
[doublepost=1507663545][/doublepost]
Really? Any where other than the US that does that? Certainly doesn't happen in the UK, defeats part of the whole point of contactless.

Not just this but I had to sign for a transaction after using Apple Pay at a Wegman's grocery store. Completely defeats the purpose.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve been using my iPhone at Bank of America ATMs here in South Florida for the better part of the year. It works seamlessly and now eliminates the chance of forgetting your atm card or the card getting stuck/not working in the machines.

No negatives so far.

Card is still required for deposits though, sadly.
I suppose I could use the mobile app to scan checks (cash deposit would still require ATM), but I get annoyed having to remember to destroy the check after a week. I’d rather just deposit it at a machine and not have to think about it again.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I am with you on that! I have been a fan of ApplePay since it came out, but the reality is pretty brutal. There is still a majority of stores that we go to that do not accept it and no idea when or if they will ever; Target, Costco are the two major one that we shop a lot. I am a big fan of Panera Bread, but their self check-out kiosks do not have Apple Pay. Corner Bakery and Chipotle also do not have it. And forget about mom and pop local stores :(

So far the only places where we were able to somewhat reliably use Apple Pay are:
Jewel-Osco (seldom shop there),
Walgreens,
Starbucks (does not take Discover card for some reasons via ApplePay, but Visa works)
Macy's (hit or miss, one day it works, another day does not)
Apple Store
Chick-Fill-A

I will keep trying to use ApplePay anywhere I see a reader that might work. Once place that surprised me one a local car dealer where we service our cars.

It’s a very slow burn. Though one thing we can do as customers to help accelerate adoption is to reward stores that do accept Apple Pay with our business, and to a lesser extent, voice our demand to stores that don’t.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Interesting thing about the argument over requiring a PIN after initializing Touch ID is that each device can store 5 separate fingerprints which could translate into 5 different users authorized via fingerprints on one device.

Virtually the same thing as giving someone your ATM card and PIN code.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I think merchant education was a big issue as lots of retailers were caught off guard by people suddenly tapping their phones.
I seem to recall a story that went around, early on, about the uninformed clerks at some store (Best Buy, perhaps?) calling security on a customer who used Apple Pay, because the customer hadn't run a card through the terminal, so they thought the customer must be committing some sort of fraud.
[doublepost=1507664796][/doublepost]
We still think front-loader washing machines are kind of cool and novel.
There's water inside which is violating the law of gravity by not pouring out the side of the washer - clearly the devil's work! I'll stick with my rocks, down by the river.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Card is still required for deposits though, sadly.
I suppose I could use the mobile app to scan checks (cash deposit would still require ATM), but I get annoyed having to remember to destroy the check after a week. I’d rather just deposit it at a machine and not have to think about it again.
My main branch ATM and one more near Aventura Mall allow deposits via ATM.

BOA is adding more deposit able machines as time goes by.

I love using mobile deposit for checks even though I only see paper payments like once every 6 months.

I end up stuffing the checks into a box just for reference.

Reactions: subjonas

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Yeah that’s my biggest gripe with Apple Pay. Some pos sales still require a pin. If I run my debt card as credit and don’t need cash back the system should allow the purchase to be authorized without entering my pin.

No different than swiping.
Pin is OK because it's a Debit Card transaction and usually pretty quick and easy. What kills me is when I have to sign a screen after doing Apple Pay (Credit card transaction.) It doesn't defeat contactless because not having to use the goddam chip reader is reason enough, but I really hate when I pay, then like 10 seconds later after a delay when you think you're done the terminal pops up a line where I have to use that dirty pen to sign a freakin' screen for no good reason. I'm already authenticated, I shouldn't need to sign.

Reactions: iapplelove

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
They are actually more efficient.
[doublepost=1507663306][/doublepost]

Do they have it at the pump? I have yet to see this.
[doublepost=1507663545][/doublepost]

Not just this but I had to sign for a transaction after using Apple Pay at a Wegman's grocery store. Completely defeats the purpose.
Yes. Mostly New Gilbarco or Wayne pumps.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
this is the one missing piece for me. Lots of stores take apple pay or contactless (and therefore apple pay). But sometimes I come across a street food place or somewhere that doesn't take cash and I'm stuck. If ATMs let me take out a little cash using apple pay that would be awesome and my cards could stay at home.
As a policy, I try to never leave the house with less than $40 and two cards on me. Whether I think I need it or not I try to never go wallet free because Murphy's Law seems to dictate that this will be the day when something didn't work with Apple Pay. But I'm pretty sure I'm stating the obvious.
I went to Disneyland and they take Apple Pay all over (finally) but for some reason I was cursed and one out of three times the CC terminal was down or had to be rebooted (a two minute process which is forever when trying to pay) and I was able to pay cash (which I otherwise avoided.) But when Apple Pay worked, they loved me for it (seriously employees thanked me) because it was super fast.
Bank of America has had many Apple Pay enabled ATMs and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I was able to get cash when I forgot my wallet one day. Also I just love walking up to the ATM in the mall, hitting it with my watch, and pulling cash out. It's like magic.

Reactions: mrklaw

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I know what you mean, but there will come a tipping point some time in the next year or two, I think.
The "We don't take Apple Pay, but we do take Android Pay" is an irritant that I hope will soon go away. That's like saying, "We won't serve people that drive Chevrolet's through our drive through." Huh?.

I'm not sure if any stores actually do that. It might be that the rep is misinformed.

If a store takes Android Pay, from a technical standpoint, it can take Apple Pay.

I'm wondering if the employees are confusing Android Pay with Samsung Pay (which is different).

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm not sure if any stores actually do that. It might be that the rep is misinformed.

If a store takes Android Pay, from a technical standpoint, it can take Apple Pay.

I'm wondering if the employees are confusing Android Pay with Samsung Pay (which is different).
That’s what I’m wondering. I don’t understand how they can take android pay but not Apple Pay.

Honestly, half the time, the cashier is uninformed, so I try anyway.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

I’ve had plenty of stores say Samsung only just because the employee didn’t know how to press Sale first to activate the regular NFC on a Verifone Vx520 Ughh!!!

Much to their surprise it works anyway and they stand there looking dumbfounded.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
I’ve had plenty of stores say Samsung only just because the employee didn’t know how to press Sale first to activate the regular NFC on a Verifone Vx520 Ughh!!!

Much to their surprise it works anyway and they stand there looking dumbfounded.
I've had store employees vehemently claim Apple Pay wasn't accepted. I asked them to pay by credit card (so they pressed whatever button to activate the CC terminal) and then tried Apple Pay anyway, it works, and they were left dumbfounded. I've had that happen twice.
"Just process it like a credit card" I tell them. It's just a credit or debit card, nothing special as long as the terminal has the NFC reader (well usually. There are exceptions where they block all NFC payments.)

David_19

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2016
Bank Of America also added this feature to their ATMs .
I couldn’t be more happier .

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've had store employees vehemently claim Apple Pay wasn't accepted. I asked them to pay by credit card (so they pressed whatever button to activate the CC terminal) and then tried Apple Pay anyway, it works, and they were left dumbfounded. I've had that happen twice.
"Just process it like a credit card" I tell them. It's just a credit or debit card, nothing special as long as the terminal has the NFC reader (well usually. There are exceptions where they block all NFC payments.)
This usually happens to me at mom and pop stores. The good news is that you train them once you trained them forever. Now I stroll in and they prepare the terminal for me :-D

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
You kidding? Mom and pop stores support it the most. They just don’t know how to use the terminal sometimes and you have to instruct them.

Chipotle sucks ass anyway, and refuse to even do chip cards in full chip countries like Canada.

Costco is coming soon as their new gas pumps have contactless readers- but disabled for now.
[doublepost=1507660998][/doublepost]
We have chip cards in the US. So I don’t know what you’re talking about. Virtually every store we go to here requires you to dip the card in the chip slot (or in this case now, tap your phone)
[doublepost=1507661153][/doublepost]
Some WF branches accept tap inside the bank! I’ve used that before!!
[doublepost=1507661194][/doublepost]

Where's that? Silicon Valley?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.